Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

why is the Z so much to mod???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 11:55 AM
azrael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by FairladyZ
The statement about the LS1 is false. My WS6 was rated at 325hp from the factory. Guess what it dynoed stock? 323rwhp...GM underratted the f-bodies to save face for the 350hp rated vettes.
next time, read what I posted. I said the LS1 wasn't tuned for maximum power from the factory. I said NOTHING about what it was rated at vs what it dynos.

The LS1 makes ~350 crank HP stock. Heads and cams yield ~475 crank HP. That's what I call 'not tuned for maximum power from the factory.' Simple (and relatively cheap) aftermarket parks yield great power gains.

Put ported heads and more aggressive cams on the Z and you'll be really lucky to gain 50 horsepower. The VQ35DE is tuned better from the factory. That's just the way it is.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:56 PM
nonmature

Originally posted by azrael
next time, read what I posted. I said the LS1 wasn't tuned for maximum power from the factory. I said NOTHING about what it was rated at vs what it dynos.

The LS1 makes ~350 crank HP stock. Heads and cams yield ~475 crank HP. That's what I call 'not tuned for maximum power from the factory.' Simple (and relatively cheap) aftermarket parks yield great power gains.

Put ported heads and more aggressive cams on the Z and you'll be really lucky to gain 50 horsepower. The VQ35DE is tuned better from the factory. That's just the way it is.
true true...

and to BOB This isnt a BMW its a nissan, not that that is bad just a little difference in price range there

I am suprised that no one has mentioned the EVO's(or I should say Mitsubishi's) fragile drive train... I was at the dealer today... YES I test drove one... I had too... they were talkin about burning out clutches relitively quickly and that it is better to dump the clutch VS feathering because of the AWD... but the problem with this is the transfer case and gear box sustain the hit and arent neccesarrily beefy either...(basicly its not a 1/4 mile car its a road racer) but its suprising that nobody mentioned this as a weakness...

-non
Old 11-21-2003, 07:12 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ya but what about this borla exhaust
350z = around 600
EVO = around 500

I dont want to hear a "i didnt pay that much blah blah blah.." thats list price

HKS CAMS EVO = 538
Nismo 350z (I know these ar nismo) 1550

Tien FLEX
EVO = 1495
350z = 1645

I've got some simple answers for ya:

Exhaust - Borla has 2x the piping for the Z as it has for the Evo...hence the extra $100.00

Cams - Evo has 2, 350Z has 4 - hence, twice the price. NISMO cams are not $1550 - nor are HKS cams for the Evo $538.00 - you picked 2 extremes as far as pricing (whored out on HKS, and full list on NISMO). NISMO cams sell for jsut south of $1300 usually, HKS cams for the Evo sell for around $600 ish range.

Tein coilovers - different suspension design, hence difference price levels.

The Evo clutch is actually not bad - some have had it go bad, most have not. Whoever said that dumping the clutch is preferred is an *** quite frankly...it needs to be slipped some or you will be buying tranny parts, jsut as you would on any other car.

Every car has its strengths and weaknesses.....

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 11-21-2003 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:44 PM
nonmature

I just said you will be buyin tranny parts but I dump the clutch on my z at the drags all day long and have had no problem even with 100 shot of nitrous...

also I dont think that the guys who havent had a clutch go bad on them do much drag racing... many of the guys on the evo board who do drag have reported premature clutch failure... I've heard anywhere from 4-16K miles...

I would agree the stock clutch is "OK" it just isnt up to par when you do much else too it... will it hold together...probably but not long with any decent amount of modification...

as for cams I admit I wasnt even thinkin...

but the exhaust is a single tube...??? on both

-non
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2003, 09:04 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't even know Borla made a single pipe version for the Z..all I ever hear about is "True Dual".

Anyway, the muffler section I am sure makes it a bit more expensive, not to mention that its made in the US where the JDM systems are not.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:30 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Borla DOESN'T make anything but the TD anymore....orginially they had the single pipe exhaust, but stopped producing it with the arrival of the true dual.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:03 AM
nonmature

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Borla DOESN'T make anything but the TD anymore....orginially they had the single pipe exhaust, but stopped producing it with the arrival of the true dual.
doesnt matter that was the price of the old one...

-non
Old 11-22-2003, 10:07 AM
nonmature

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
The Evo clutch is actually not bad - some have had it go bad, most have not. Whoever said that dumping the clutch is preferred is an *** quite frankly...it needs to be slipped some or you will be buying tranny parts, jsut as you would on any other car.

Every car has its strengths and weaknesses.....
here is a post from some of the evo guys and gals themselves on the clutch...

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...threadid=30664

I think its a majority rules situation...

-non
Old 11-22-2003, 10:50 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by nonmature
doesnt matter that was the price of the old one...

-non
great...but the price of the TD with TWICE the piping is the same NOW. So since this thread that you made is about poor performance to dollar ratio why don't we talk about parts that are actually on the market for the car.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:50 PM
nonmature

dude you can still buy the single pipe exhaust, and it is similar to the evo one than the TD so lets try to compare the same thing... also if you are right and they dont make them anymore then places would probably be dropping the price to blow them out and make way for new products... right it simple marketing and demand...

-non
Old 11-22-2003, 11:38 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by nonmature
dude you can still buy the single pipe exhaust, and it is similar to the evo one than the TD so lets try to compare the same thing... also if you are right and they dont make them anymore then places would probably be dropping the price to blow them out and make way for new products... right it simple marketing and demand...

-non
Go buy an evo and stop complaining
Old 11-22-2003, 11:59 PM
nonmature

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Go buy an evo and stop complaining
you never know I might just bring one home... I'm just sick of looking at my Z and seeing it being something it isnt... haha a daily driver... I really want to see this car as an all out race application but cant do it with my funds now and no other car... so maybe an evo...

-non
Old 11-25-2003, 12:18 PM
zeepoh

I doubt that's the case. I think it has everything to do with market maturity. It's taken the LS1 6 years to reach this point. If you look back to when the LS1 first came out, 475 bhp was completely unheard of for heads and cam. Give the 350z another 5 years, and if there's still as much interest in it as there is today, you'll probably see the same results
Old 11-25-2003, 01:41 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by zeepoh
I doubt that's the case. I think it has everything to do with market maturity. It's taken the LS1 6 years to reach this point. If you look back to when the LS1 first came out, 475 bhp was completely unheard of for heads and cam. Give the 350z another 5 years, and if there's still as much interest in it as there is today, you'll probably see the same results
Actually you are wrong. Within weeks of the LS1's release Lingenfelter had a cam and head work done (not aftermarket heads) and was making right at 400 WHP on an otherwise stock car. The motor is simply bad. And it is underrated. While I never dynoed my LS1 that was in my 01 Z28, I did run a 12.68 @ 110 in the quarter mile with a Flowmaster muffler and a K&N air filter with a lid. It made some power.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:28 PM
azrael

Originally posted by zeepoh
sorry, you can give the 350Z 10 years, and you will never see gains of 125 horsepower N/A.

A gain of 125 horsepower would yield 412 BHP. That's over 110 HP/Liter.

110 HP/Liter is difficult to achieve on an N/A 4 cyl motor, and isn't likely with a streetable setup on an N/A V6. I'm sure wild cams, a radical head design, and increasing the redline to 9000+ RPM might make it possible, but that isn't a very streetable setup.

The only street engine I can think of offhand that yields over 110 HP/L is the F20C from the 2000-2003 Honda S2000, which revs up to 9000 RPM stock, and the high flowing head/cam setup kills the low end power.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:48 PM
little_rod

Funny how we compare the V8 powered Z06(and almost twice as much) to the V6 powered Z.

I still think our stuff is a bit high, but maybe I am just thinking about the SCs. Both ATI and Vortech seem a bit high.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Drag Limited

sorry, you can give the 350Z 10 years, and you will never see gains of 125 horsepower N/A.

110 HP/Liter is difficult to achieve on an N/A 4 cyl motor, and isn't likely with a streetable setup on an N/A V6. I'm sure wild cams, a radical head design, and increasing the redline to 9000+ RPM might make it possible, but that isn't a very streetable setup.

The only street engine I can think of offhand that yields over 110 HP/L is the F20C from the 2000-2003 Honda S2000, which revs up to 9000 RPM stock, and the high flowing head/cam setup kills the low end power.
HAHAHAHA thats funny. Oh, you are serious???

I have seen N/A honda's with 125hp over stock. Asking 125hp gain NA is very possible with the VG. Just wait.

Last edited by Drag Limited; 11-25-2003 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:02 PM
Drag Limited

Also what is wrong with raising the redline? as long as you compensate with your gearing it would be very streetable.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:15 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Good set of cams, high flowing intake manifold, some GOOD headwork, high compression pistons, full exhaust, higher rev limit and good tuning and you could EASILY see a 100+hp gain at the crank for a VQ.

Hell...the NORMALLY ASPIRATED VQ35DE race motor puts out over 450hp.....

I won't even get into what you could do with a stroker kit on a VQ....
Old 11-25-2003, 04:15 PM
azrael

my key word was "streetable."

I suppose everyone has a different definition of streetable, but...

- I don't think 6 throttle bodies with venturis and no filter is streetable (a la tommy kaira)
- I've been told that the crank and main bearings are weak, so raising the redline will be a big issue
- running higher compression means better gas. depending how high, we could be talking race gas. calling that streetable is questionable.
- running a strong set of cams with overlap will yield an extremely lopey idle and kill a lot of the low-end torque we have right now
- stroking the motor yields higher piston speeds and usually means limiting the redline

with a race motor, getting that kind of power N/A is easy. but again, the operative word was "streetable." For $15,000 and a lot of streetability sacrifices, maybe you can get 125 more HP out of it N/A.. but is that even remotely worth the trouble? I think not.

Quick Reply: why is the Z so much to mod???