Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Tranny Data

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 05:58 AM
Mean Gene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb A/T Tranny Data

This is a post I put on the G35 Driver.com website last night. Hope this helps some of ya'll running A/T's.

Gang - After about a week delay I finally got all my parts ( T/C & recalibrated valve body ) from Level 10 into my G Coupe. Please bear in mind that I only have 1900 miles on the V-6 so it's barely broken in. I could feel it getting stronger with every extra mile before the tranny ( & other ) work. Initially, I'm disappointed by the T/C itself. It does stall at 2950 rpms but the holeshot I've come to expect from a high stall T/C doesn't feel like it's there. That said, I spoke at length with Gurgen last night & he felt ( after his brainstorming session with DaveO ) that it's going to take the Techno Square reflash to realize the true performance gains from the converter. I also installed Borla headers/test pipes/Borla true dual exhaust & the Crawford plenum while I had the G in the shop. Also keep in mind that I have 275/35/18 Nittos on 10" wide iForged Evolutions in the rear. I couldn't break those loose before the mods & still can't ( not necessarily a bad thing ). The car DOES feel more responsive off idle so perhaps as the miles pile up I'll be able to spin the Nittos. The valve body recalibration feels as expected. It won't snap your head back when making WOT shifts but I can tell that they're crisper & quicker. Downshifting has the most dramatic effect. Those shifts are pretty firm & extremely quick. In the 2 days of driving with these changes I've had no "CES" codes nor is partial throttle shifting any different that before - smooth. I did this tranny work as a foundation to build upon for future mods ( nitrous and/or twin turbos ). Level 10 feels that these 2 upgrades will allow the Infiniti/350z tranny to handle 400-425 flywheel horsepower. Without them they feel that forced induction will damage the tranny. They did NOT try & sell me a full upgrade ( stronger clutch packs & discs ) so I don't think I was handed a line just to sell parts, FWIW. Personally, I would consider doing without the V/B upgrade ( $698 ) if U don't plan on going F/I. For now, the jury's still out on the "bang for the buck" the T/C gives us. I'm planning on shipping my ECU to TS next week & hopefully that, coupled with more miles on the engine, will give me the kind of results Gurgen got ( he has the reflash ). Maybe I'll remount my factory 17's this weekend & see what that does for me. I'll post back at a later date if the T/C awakens the G.