Old 12-04-2003, 08:43 AM
mwaller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does OEM clutch disk have springs? Any pics? nt

/
Old 12-04-2003, 10:52 AM
FLY BY Z

Yes it just looks like a normal clutch with springs. The NISMO does not have any.

Stock looks like the part on the right. See the springs going around towards the middle?
Old 12-04-2003, 11:09 AM
mwaller

Thanks for the pic and info. So, here's my concern with the Nismo clutch. If it doesn't have springs, all the vibration (small variations in crankshaft speed due to firing of cylinders) will be transmitted to the transmission through the clutch. Won't this tend to wear the gears?
Mika
Old 12-04-2003, 12:03 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I think if the clutch disc does not have springs, then it will chatter when engage? the springs are there to absorb any shocks when the pressure plates grabs the disc...

the pressure plate holding force has a lot to do with how smooth the clutch engages also...

someone correct me if I'm wrong..
Old 12-04-2003, 03:38 PM
FLY BY Z

Well, again, this is something that I have also read. However, I do not have any clutch chatter. Unless it is covered up by the low RPM sound of the flywheel. Other than the typical flywheel noise (below 2700 RPM), my drivetrain is silent. You can tell the engagement point is a lot more defined and it is slightly more abrupt than stock. This is with the NISMO only. Other clutches might have different characteristics.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Bait-Fish

Originally posted by Apexi350z
the pressure plate holding force has a lot to do with how smooth the clutch engages also...

someone correct me if I'm wrong..
From my experience running a double diaphragm kevlar (clutchtex brand) clutch in my last car ('93 SE-R) for 55k miles, the diaphragm pressure didn't have any effect on smoothness. It never had an inkling of chatter or harshness. All the double diaphragm did was make a very heavy clutch pedal pressure. This clutch had no slip and I could chirp going into third if I dumped it, even with R-compound tires (Yok A008RS). Funny thing, this clutch had a LOT more life left in it if it wasn't for the tabs that held those little coil springs in hadn't worn out and allowed one of them to get between the clutch and flywheel. IMHO with my li'l bit of experience the clutch material is what will affect smoothness or chatter.