Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Touline?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 10:02 AM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touline?

What are the pros/cons on touline? I am running N/A and was wondering if it would be any better for my engine. Also, how can touline be obtained?
Old 12-04-2003, 10:18 AM
12SecZ

It is in most 100 Octane race gas already. Union 76 Nascar 100 Octane has it in it if you have access to that.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:15 AM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Im on the east coast, and no gas stations carry anything higher than 93 Is there any way to buy touline and use it as an additive with your gas?
Old 12-04-2003, 11:42 AM
havabooz

toluene
Old 12-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Darin

Check out a paint store like Sherwin-Williams.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:04 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be a 76 near you that has high (100) octane fuel. Go here and click on the zip codes to see if the station carries "racing fuel". Not sure why they don't have any listings for Atlanta but maybe one of the other locations is within driving distance.

http://www.76.com/76locator/Distribu...p.asp?State=GA
Old 12-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Zrated

Here in NJ we have 94, but there are also stations that sell CAM2.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:21 PM
Fanman

You can get toulene at most paint stores it will increase your octane of your gasoline. In some cars it will help, in other cars they are already set by the ECU to run optimally at a particular boost level, and the octane boost will have little affect. I think they did a study of this a few months back with a Honda Accord and it gained 10 hp, while a BMW M3 gained almost nothing.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:35 PM
azrael

toluene is used in paint mixing, and can be purchased at a paint store (i.e. Sherwin Williams). Some people use it as a home-made octane booster (toluene is equivalent to 114 octane). I've included a few info links about toluene at the bottom of this post. The bottom line is, toluene will not help significantly on an NA car. It primarily helps boosted engines suffering from retarded timing due to heat. It will also allow you to run higher boost with less detonation, if used very carefully. It might make a slight difference, but it's not really applicable to our car.

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/gasoline-octane.html

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

If you insist on using it, read the first link to find out what kind of a mixture is appropriate to use. Too much toluene is bad for the engine, as it's designed to burn regular fuel, not toluene.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:39 PM
AREITU

Here's another Toluene link.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

It also has ingredients to mix your own cleaning/lubricating agent to go along with your toluene mix.

Like Fanman said, it won't help too much with NA cars. It's done wonders on cars like the aircooled 993 Porsche, and Evo owners have been trying the stuff out with much success.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:31 AM
Bait-Fish

Toluene may also be labelled as Toluol. There's also Xylene which has an even higher octane rating, 117-118. It's alternate name is Xylol. As I'm sure the above links already say, they're both pure hydrocarbon and already a percentage of standard gasoline (not just high octane race gas). Caveats about using solvent grade is if they have any particles in there that they didn't care to filter out and whether anything else may be mixed in with it. Be careful breathing the fumes as well. One old guy here at work said he and others used to sniff the stuff and it was scary how he aquired quite an affinity for it.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:26 AM
mpowers

Alot of people use xylene and toluene for their race tires as a prep. I did it to a set of auto-x kumo victoracers that was on it last life and hell they stuck like glue in 35 degree weather.