Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch Master Cylinder being moody?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Deedilus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Master Cylinder being moody?

Damn car is practically leading me to drinkin'! Finally getting my VQ back in my Z, but ran into a major issue with the clutch. First, let me say the master cylinder was sitting in the car for about a year with the same old fluid in it, so the first thing we did was clean it. But still got an issue.

When the master cylinder was bolted down and bolted up to the clutch pedal, no matter how much we pump it does not bleed at all. We took the hose going to the slave out of it and it wasn't doing anything, even after the cleaning. But when we first took it out to clean it again, it randomly started working the second we got it out of the car. At the moment it'll work perfectly while out of the car or when not hooked up to the clutch pedal. If I rest the fork against the pedal and push the pedal in the master will squirt; however if I hook it up to the pedal it won't. It looks as though it's not pushing it in far enough when hooked up to the pedal?

I dunno, we just adjusted the fork to about halfway but haven't gotten to test it yet (ran into a wiring problem which I posted about in Maintenance & Repairs). Any suggestions before we waste time trying this? It's really starting to get annoying, these are the only two things left on the car that stand between it running.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Deedilus; 06-07-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:34 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Pressure bleeder, makes life so much easier. The clutch master on this car is such a PITA
Old 06-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Deedilus

Tried it, wasn't getting any pressure from the pedal still. Will try again on Thursday though.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:16 AM
makizm69

make sure MC retracts all the way when bolted up with clutch pedal not pressed.

there is a tiny hole in the MC that sucks the fluid when the piston retracts, if it's not all the way back MC will not grab any fluid and therefore you will not be able to bleed the system even with the pressure bleeder.

To make sure it's not the problem:
-fill up MC reservoir with some brake fluid
-pull the pedal all the way up
-open bleeder valve
-at this point fluid should freely leek through and fluid level in reservoir should slowly drop

if you can get the fluid running, adjust the pedal so MC rod retracts all the way up