Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

No more hair to pull out, Throttle response!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:02 AM
amr_electron

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
OK, time for an update from OP. Did you ever get this resolved?
Actually, My car is still at the dealer without any progress, The tech who's taking care of the problem asked one technician who works for another dealer to test drive my poor Z. He came to a conclusion that for some odd reason the transmission is not downshifting when you re-accelerate, And since there's no failing sensors or wiring, The transmission will be opened & checked this week.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:11 AM
Itzcashew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amr_electron
Actually, My car is still at the dealer without any progress, The tech who's taking care of the problem asked one technician who works for another dealer to test drive my poor Z. He came to a conclusion that for some odd reason the transmission is not downshifting when you re-accelerate, And since there's no failing sensors or wiring, The transmission will be opened & checked this week.
Im sorry man. Hopefully she gets better!!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:12 AM
SniperHunter

Since they're looking at the transmission. Have they checked the TCM sensor wiring? I was told the pins can corrode sometimes - it's a cheap and easy fix to try. I still personally doubt it, and I do think it's a cam issue, but if they want to inspect the transmission they can inspect that.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:28 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, time for another update from OP. Did you ever get this resolved?
Old 07-22-2011, 02:24 AM
amr_electron

OK, time for another update from OP. Did you ever get this resolved?
Actually OP is in very bad situation , I don't even want to remember that i own this car, I'm driving my swift now & i'm so happy with it, F. ck the Z.

The transmission has nothing wrong with it ( i don't know if i should be happy or not !!!! ), Synchros, Fluid, Housing, Filter, Torque Converter, TCM was reprogrammed, Wiring, VB was checked also !!!!!!

I asked them to check the timing chain as ArnoldK suggested but they didn't accept the idea, The tech said that it doesn't sound like a timing issue !!!

Now, The tech said that he will contact NISSAN with some data log & see what they say .
Old 07-22-2011, 03:37 PM
SniperHunter

You shouldn't have said timing chain. I suggested starting small with the cam shaft first. Tell them to inspect the cam assembly.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:38 PM
SniperHunter

Also, where do you live? What year is the car? How many miles/kilometers on it? I'm trying to figure out if you're still under powertrain warranty.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 PM
amr_electron

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
You shouldn't have said timing chain. I suggested starting small with the cam shaft first. Tell them to inspect the cam assembly.
If they don't figure it out & if they insist not to open the engine, I will get the cam assembly checked at any garage.

Also, where do you live? What year is the car? How many miles/kilometers on it? I'm trying to figure out if you're still under powertrain warranty.
It's a 05 350z, DE engine with 65k miles. The car is not under warranty anymore. I live in Dubai, UAE btw .
Old 07-23-2011, 09:12 PM
SniperHunter

Okay, let us know how it goes. The easiest thing to look for when inspecting the cam assembly is the follower at the very beginning of the camshaft. It looks like an aluminum candle holder, if you will. Pictures below:

A worn one will look pretty obviously worn...as such:

But when the wear is that bad or noticeable, you can't just replace the follower. Chances are that wear has also damaged the camshaft itself. Inspecting the lobes of the camshaft (the bumps/protrusions that run along it, basically) will reveal additional details on the condition of the camshaft.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:18 AM
winchman

If the transmission checked out OK, how come the torque converter doesn't goes into lockup?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:16 AM
amr_electron

Okay, let us know how it goes. The easiest thing to look for when inspecting the cam assembly is the follower at the very beginning of the camshaft. It looks like an aluminum candle holder, if you will. Pictures below:

A worn one will look pretty obviously worn...as such:

But when the wear is that bad or noticeable, you can't just replace the follower. Chances are that wear has also damaged the camshaft itself. Inspecting the lobes of the camshaft (the bumps/protrusions that run along it, basically) will reveal additional details on the condition of the camshaft.
Thanks man for your help, Will get it checked & update the thread for sure. I'm really interested to know what da h*ll is wrong with the car more than getting it back .

If the transmission checked out OK, how come the torque converter doesn't goes into lockup?
Good question, I asked him the same one, But as the tech explained to me before, many signals and sensors are controlling the transmission & since there's no failing sensors, wiring or any DTC, They had to get it checked.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by amr_electron
I'm really interested to know what da h*ll is wrong with the car
+1

Me too...
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 AM
SniperHunter

No updates?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 PM
amr_electron

I'm checking periodically but they cannot sort it out, My car is still collecting dust at the dealer ...

I received a PM from one member who said that he had the exact same problem & he couldn't figure it out even after spending 6000$, This week he found out that it was his tail light bulbs. I know that the throttle is being detected through the tail lamp circuit, But i have killed this idea by checking every single bulb in the car, Fuses, brake switch, What else !!!

Man, This car makes me sick to my stomach .
Old 09-06-2011, 05:14 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have aftermarket tail lights it can cause throttle response issues. If you do, swap them out for stock (or remove them if you have some private roads to test) and see if the issue persists.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:04 AM
SniperHunter

Any updates?
Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 PM
amr_electron

Any updates?
No updates Man, The dealer failed to diagnose the problem, I took the car without a fix. The car still drives fine around the block, You will never notice that there's a problem with the car as long as you are cruising unde 3000 RPM .

Thought about taking it to another dealer, But i lost the interest in this car, I may be selling it as it's and get a camaro !!!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:18 AM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sucks. This has got to be the weirdest case I've seen on a Z. Sad to hear it hasn't been resolved yet.
I'm also from Dubai. Which dealer branch handled your Z?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:50 AM
winchman

I still think it's a sensor that's "stuck" at a value that's acceptable to the ECU. However, since the value doesn't change, whatever it's controlling doesn't work like it should, and it's downhill from there. Turning the engine off resets the ECU, everything looks OK at first, then it repeats the process.

I'd look at the temperature sensor in the AT, since you already know it's not going into the lockup, which is a function of fluid temperature. Find out what the sensor outputs are supposed to be for different fluid temperatures, and make sure that's what it's putting out.

Last edited by winchman; 11-14-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:08 AM
NissanTracker

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll toss my exerience:

I had OEM tail lights and started running into an acceleration issue where the car always went into limp mode. I checked for leaks, replaced gaskets, then went off to the dealership. They found that the Tail light bulbs were bad... although they were working. Because of the change of resistance on the wire, ECU was going into limp mode. They almost charged me 350 dollars in labor for this, I got it covered for 100 under my extendewd warranty

-NissanTracker

Quick Reply: No more hair to pull out, Throttle response!!