Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Is it possible to ride clutch in neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Clon3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to ride clutch in neutral?

Guys, I had a debate with my co-worker today and I just want to make sure I am not talking outta my ***.

This may sound like a dumb question but say if you are in neutral (shifter in Neutral), and you depress the clutch halfway right at friction point. Is this considered riding/slipping the clutch?

Logically, it doesn't make sense that it would be riding the clutch since you are not in gear with a halfway depressed clutch. But my coworker said there is still some friction/heat being generated from a half depressed clutch even if your shifter is in neutral.

Also, what is the difference between revving with clutch out vs revving with clutch fully depressed? Same thing? And if you rev the **** outta your car with clutch out halfway, would this burn up your clutch even if your not in gear (shifter in neutral)?

Thought I'd ask the experts....

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:55 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You cannot damage the clutch itself with the transmission in neutral, but you'll wear the throwout bearing unnecessarily.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:27 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe this is not a “ride or no ride” question. With the transmission in neutral, you have no drive train load for the motor to turn. While engaging and disengaging the clutch, the friction plate must still grab the flywheel. There is just no tires on the road that you are forcing the motor to turn. And no 3,300 load that the engine must move.

Above: Engaging-disengaging the clutch separates the drive train at the flywheel-friction plate.

Above: With the transmission in neutral you are separating the drive train at the transmission-drive shaft.

Last edited by davidv; 06-22-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:36 PM
doshoru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the others have stated, you're not riding the "clutch" meaning...the clutch plate itself....but you are riding the clutch "pedal"....which is really just unnecessarily stressing the throwout bearing.

So....technically.....you're both kind of right. You're riding the clutch "system" (or part of it), but not the actual clutch itself. "Riding the clutch" has come to mean "keeping the clutch pedal depressed" and not so much "slipping the clutch" in common nomenclature. Sad, I know.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:57 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Always happy to help. If you have other questions please do not hesitate to waste my time.