Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

water injection

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 07:49 PM
flipity101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water injection

anyone thought about water, or water/alcohol injection for their FI car?
seems like a good idea with all those prochargers out there to keep things a little safer.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:05 PM
G3po

Default Yes

I've used it for ~30k miles almost on my Blown Pickup in Ca, mostly cause the 91 pump gas is inconsistent and I like the extra 2 psi I can run without any detonation.

I will consider it after I FI my G35C, cause I don't agree with Corkey Bell's book on this one. WI can be used quite effectively, within reason. No intercooler (except marine) is 100% effective and the WI adds a good deal of augmentation , expecially if the IC gets heat soaked.

WI is not magic and should not be the sole means of protection against detonation. Some form of knock detection and timing retard should also be emplyed as a safety net.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:08 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OT: i have corkey bell's book too.....a must read for any FI folk
Old 12-12-2003, 05:41 AM
flipity101

its definetly not a fail safe but i figured it would be a nice addition as a safety measure. they dont cost thousands of dollars and im just surprised no one here has one, well no one has said they do.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:31 AM
G3po

Default WI

Well to most it seems like Voodoo. People are afraid of the introduction of anything other than fuel and air into their intake.
But a tuned WI system really adds very little water vapor per volume of unit air + fuel and is vastly more efficent at lowering combustion temperatures than decreasing A/F alone. And yes WI is not maintenance free. For anyone who doesn't like to change their own oil or plugs, it's not recommended. But with proper secondary protection mechanisms, if it fails, or is neglected, the system can quite easily be designed to protect it the engine.

Also in a freeze zone it can be more a a pain due to the necessity to add Alchohol too the water mixture. In Nor. Ca., were I drive , this is not really an issue , so I generally get by with just plain tap water, since it only ever freezes at night and I garage the vehicle.

For me it's worth the extra 20-30 rwhp (and much better <3k rpm TQ. I'm fine with simply adding water to my washer tank at each fill-up. So it's not a big deal to me. With the WI I can run an 8psi pulley on my truck , no detonation on 91 pump. without WI I need to back down to 6psi or use a very expensive octane booster such NOS (race version in red can). THe added Tq knock more than .3sec off my 0-60 times. Which is very good for a 4800lbs truck and a 4.7L engine.

Good info at :

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/