Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

help, what should my next move be...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:22 PM
gusty83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, what should my next move be...

Hi guys this is my firtst post. I just got an 03" z from a second owner. The second owner only clocked in 3k miles so the first owner did all the driving, I think he was young... After purchasing the car I noticed my oil was almost empty 1k miles before my next oil change according to the sticker. I got an oik cahnge at nissan who said to come back in 100 to start the consumption testing. According to my calculations the burn is 1 quart every thousand miles or close to that. Ive gotten a private inspection and both nissan and private said I had a minimal oil leak from the cover gasket right side. I have these options: 1. consumption test 250$ at stealership. 2. drive it the way it is topping off oil and eventually do an engine swap in the future. My problem is that if I do go to nissan, even a small fix would cost over 2k just for the engine work. What is my worst case scenario if I keep driving with it like this? For now, Ive switched to a more viscous oil and lucas oil stabilizer in hopes of ending the leak and slowing the burn. Can you guys help me out?

ps I doo have mods, but no engine mods. I use mobil one regular. Im pretty sure I have an aftermarket tranny or clutch since everyone says it feelts totally different, much stiffer.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shell out the 250 and figure out wtf your doing. and by cover gasket do you mean valve cover??

sell it and buy something that runs right or find a motor to swap in- my .02
Old 09-03-2011, 05:43 AM
silvertouringz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cylinder head gasket? is there white smoke comin out of ur exhaust?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:42 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry about the oil situation. Since the car is using oil, it is not performing at its best. It cant be.

Oil consumption will get worse not better. You decide when it is time to repair or replace the motor.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:11 PM
gusty83

Originally Posted by bbs350z
shell out the 250 and figure out wtf your doing. and by cover gasket do you mean valve cover??

sell it and buy something that runs right or find a motor to swap in- my .02
Ok. Do you think its worth it to fix the engine or is that not a good idea? I figure an engine swap would be around 4k which is a lot. I figure a rebuild would be around 2500. Anyone have experience with an oil consumption problem and a subsequent rebuild.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:08 PM
gusty83

Originally Posted by silvertouringz
cylinder head gasket? is there white smoke comin out of ur exhaust?
Oh yes and there is no blue smoke just light gray or white and I have test pipes on so im assuming you would see that right away. And I meant valve cover gasket. After adding the oil stabalizer the fume smells have drastically decreased. but then again with the test pipes im not sure exactly what im smelling in the first place.