Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Developing a FAQ page for Drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Risk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Q: My clutch (like a lot of guys) makes a lot of noise and rattles around. Ive heard that even a clutch and tranny swap wont fix the noise, will a JWT Clutch/Flywheel be quieter?
Old 10-24-2004, 03:26 AM
Balls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: stock clutch - maximum power

Originally posted by jreiter
What is the maximum power handling of the stock Z clutch?

I often see people saying you should upgrade your clutch when swapping out the flywheel, but I don't see why that is necessary if you don't plan on making big power upgrades such as forced induction. Sure, it will save you labor costs if you do them both simultaneously, but why spend the extra hundreds of dollars on a higher power clutch if you don't really need it?
I don't know what the max load capacity of the oe clutch is. But I did want to comment on the second part of your post which i've seen asked before. (Not necessarily by you)

Firstly, not all clutches have the same feel to them... some feel really heavy, some bite really fast... upgrading your clutch may not be merely a matter of increasing load capacity. Then of course there those flywheels which require you to change the clutch. Also, your clutch's effectiveness wears down over time. Though, I think, more than anything else, the common suggestion to upgrade both clutch and flywheel at the same time comes from people who are used to working on cars (sometimes old cars that need new clutches). Removing a transmission sucks up enough of your life that you feel the need to maximize the value of your time. I mean, you have to remove the clutch anyway in order to replace the flywheel. It's zero effort. just put on the new clutch instead of the old one. It's a freebee...

of course, if you are taking the car somewhere to have the flywheel installed by someone else... then there isn't any work that you're already doing... and thus the benefit of 'saved labor' doesn't exactly apply...