Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Potential z swaps !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 01:36 AM
350_captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slow03z
Where is the nub smackdown at from bmccann?? This stuff has been covered a hundred times over including rb26 swaps, even a g35 in the ny area with awd rb swap. 2jz has been done many times also.

If you read the ls swap thread in engine sub forum you'll find the weight differences which are minimal. Plus you can make a reliable 400whp on an LS NA and not have to worry about shredding your bottom end.

LS3 w/o accessories = 375#
VQ= roughly 300#

add a few more for trans on the LS, you're not looking at a huge weight difference. plus you'll be making 150 more horse power.

RB and 2jz are both cast iron block, they will weigh considerably more than any aluminum block LS.

Guess you're right. Facts are facts. I am sub'd to a lot of those threads and have read em. I guess it just boils down to i like to keep JDM in JDM. Call it ignorance, but its just my belief. I dont wanna jump on the bandwagon of just throwing a big ol' V8 in any car and making insane amount of power. I like proving the impossible, aka making power from a smaller engine. It suprises people. Its kinda like an art, making a lot from a littler amount, innovative i suppose.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Tanman1986
Banned

I can def tell you are new around here lol, here is a few links to help u out since i have been looking into a few swaps for my Z the last year that I have had her. let's get one thing straight right off the bat, I HATE the VQ!! It sounds great ( When done right with the right exhaust) but when boosted the VQ for 1, sounds like total ****! and 2, is not that great when it comes to making "reliable power" Anything over 400hp on a stock VQ35DE and your asking for problem, look i know you HR guys have it all and can boost the VQ with no problem, but i wasnt talking to you lol and i was not blessed with the HR. I have the **** DE, but lets face it, the VQDE or VQHR still sounds like **** Boosted. The RB Sounds 100X better then any Boosted VQ ive ever heard The VQ35DE none boosted is ok for now as a DD/ Track car but as soon as My Z is paid for, the VQ will get pulled out along with all my Nismo Parts and replaced with a "RIPS RB30DET with a RB26 Head and HKS TZO4 Single Turbo. I will be the worlds 1st RB30DET 350z and looking to push around 700hp to 800hp if not more. Ive alread E-Mailed RIPS Performace (you all should dang well know who these cats are and how crazy there builds are, they are the worlds leading RB30 builders) about building me a motor and I have a few shops im looking into to Build me a custom Trans adapter plate to my 6 speed trans i have now. I will have to rebuild my stock trans to be able to hold the power and have a custom clutch made. You have to Pay to Play my friend.

Link to the RIPS RB30 Video, sound 100x better the ANY Boosted VQ ive ever heard and out outperforms.
Video Link for those of you who does not know who "RIPS Performance" are.

There Website Link: http://www.ripsltd.com/products.html

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMsapWGs34k

Link to a nice RB26 350z Build by Lethal Injection in GA, I have talked to these guys over the phone for a few house about the swap. They are great guys and will help u in any way they can. They did this swap + rebuild the motor to a 2.7L RB for around $20K

https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds...rb26-swap.html

Video Link to the Lethal Injection RB26 Z Swap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7p1JHqqWw8

Iam not into the Whole "Body Kit and ****, and the wheels are ugly as hell, but over all its a nice swap.

Here is another link if u are planning on doing this Swap yourself at home and it can be done right under $12,000. This link will provide you withh the motor mounts, wiring etc. Everything you need to put the RB26 in the Z. All but Fuel, tune and a few other small things. I have also talked to these guys over the phone and they will help you out in any way they can, really good guys there as well. Link:

http://cmsperformanceonline.com/inde...tegory&path=44

Just to put this in order here, if you are looking to do the swap yourself like i was going to until i fell in love with the RB30 then here is a list i have put together to show how much u should be spending on a "at home RB26 350z Sawp"

List:

CMS Motor Mounts: $800
CMS Drive Shaft: $550
CMS Wiring Kit: $800
CMS Shifter kit $500
RB26 $2600 to $6000 All up to what Rb26 your going for. I would say go for the R33 and R34 RBs, but if your not wanting to spend the extra cash do the R32 RB26 and rebuild the oil pump problem.
RB25 Trans: $1000 ( Note, you can use the RB26 AWD Trans, but some fab work has to be done in order to change it from AWD to RWD. I have the website saved somewhere on my Laptop but cant find it at the moment. It only takes a 1 to 2 hrs to do any any fab shop and could save you $1000 on buying a Rb25 trans, just a thought to keep in mind + u get a 6 speed trans over a 5 speed

Clutch: $500
Fuel System: $600
Radiator: $250
Electric Fans: $150

I might have left out a few things but this gives you a good idea at what u are looking at.

So your looking at around $8000, but thats if your gunna go with the R32 RB26. and thats not bad seeing that you are getting a RB in the Z.

Now when i said it will run you around $12k is the fact that i know you will want to upgrade the turbo, then you have to buy EMS, Tune injectors etc etc...all in all if i was you and i wanted to do the RB26 swap i would spend the full $12k on a single turbo R33 or R34 Rb26 with a custom tune, 1000cc injectors, upgraded clutch and use the AWD Trans and convert it to RWD and call it a day

Just a side note. You can also sell your VQ to some of the 240sx guys for about $1500 to $2500 (All depending on how many miles on the VQ etc) So thaat will also drop the over all price on your RB26 swap. Play it smart and you will come out on top

Last edited by Tanman1986; 11-13-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Itz_Gizzy

Originally Posted by Langdonious Rex
If you did a lot of the work yourself and shopped around, you could do a stock LS2/T56 swap for $12k easily. The problem you run into when putting a swap together is when you start buying all kinds of **** (suspension, brakes, diff, seats, steering wheel, etc) because you realize the chassis will need upgrades to handle the newfound power properly. I probably have $20k in parts and I still haven't even started the swap yet. I also have a bunch of upgrades (coilovers, twin disk clutch, upgraded fuel system, custom clutch hydraulics, pieces for custom exhaust, rebuilt diff with Quaife LSD and 4.08 gears, bushings, etc, etc) and ended up with a built LS2 longblock that puts out 600fwhp. I went with the "do it once, do it right" way of thinking and threw my budget out the window. We can sit here and speculate all day long or you can recruit some good help and just jump in and do it, consequences be damned.
this man is wise.

Why dont you just boost the vq, as stated many times above? Hell, you could pick up a vortech kit for like 3k, and build your motor, and still have 5k to screw around with, with about 400whp.

or that ^^^^ ha

Last edited by Itz_Gizzy; 11-13-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm...tell me something since i am to lazy to look it up. any of these swaps allow the Z to become AWD?

I had the chance to install the g35 awd motor in a coupe g35 but the guy didnt go for it.

i'd rather get the g35 awd motor and just install the front spindles, with some new axles or just get Jyard parts. and have the Z become awd. Then Turbo it. Call it a day. (reason i say awd motor is because the fornt axles come off the built in motor transfer case, not a separate one.)

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 11-13-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Brew_haha

I work for a company that does swap harnesses for all sorts of swaps. You can deff do any of the builds with 12k
Here are your options of swaps
LSX(not heavy like 350 captain says), 2JZGTE, SR20DET, HEMI, RB26DET, VH56.

All of these swaps have been done you can search for the build threads.
All of these swaps can be done for 12,000$ it really all matters where you get your motor and transmission from. Do searches car-part.com, ebay, for sale forums ect. There are deals out there you just have to search. I did my full LSX swap for less than 6,000$ that was motor, new 0 miles trans, swap kit, headers, and misc parts.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread makes me want to puke. So many dreamers and never built anythings offering stupid advice.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Brew_haha

You wont be the first rb30DET theres 2 in Texas right now that we have done engine harnesses and power steering kits for.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thread cleaned up and closed

Plenty of swap threads, just search and you will find several
Old 12-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post