Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

bottom block idea

Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Exemption
IIRC the hr and vhr have the same bore the stroke was increased which resulted in the bigger displacement
I'd have to look into it. That could be true. I didn't really go through the engines I had. I run a DE platform but I got deals on complete engines that I parted out so I just had them sitting in the garage torn down. I'm going on visual appearance. I didn't check the out much on specs. If the bore is the same then it's hard telling why the head gaskets are different between them.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:25 AM
bigcloud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
Ya, some shops have already looked into it. The design between the VR and VQ is quite different.

about the HR and the VHR they looked different when i had them here apart. The head gaskets are different. I didn't measure it but it looked like the head stud spacing was altered which could have been from the difference in cylinder bore. I never tried to match them up but just looking from one to the other they looked like different engines. Similar, but not the same.

Z Fever figured out that the VQ37VHR heads will bolt onto the VR38DETT bottom end. They also are using the VQ37 Greddy Turbo kit. They are building a car now with this very same configuration. Be on the look out. The reason I know this is I was going to send them my car for a VQ37VHR swap and I posed the question of them using the VR38DETT block for a bottom end instead of building a VQ37VHR bottom end. They will be using all the VQ37 electronics. Well needless to say they told me the information I'm telling you. It's in another thread on here somewhere.

Well fast forward I'm not doing the swap I'm just buying a GT-R now, but be on the look out for this type of swap in the future.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ I'm sure it's not cheap...
Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 AM
bigcloud

Originally Posted by rich2342
I would say initially comparable to a built TT setup except the block is actually designed for boost. If I wasn't buying a GT-R I would be all over this swap.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Exemption

Originally Posted by rich2342
Price of building a block designed for boost vs swapping (hoping there arent many electrical issues) it sounds like it would be cheaper but above all more reliable. Watch out for 6-700 rwhp 370zs im expecting
Old 07-14-2012, 08:47 PM
binder

Originally Posted by bigcloud
I would say initially comparable to a built TT setup except the block is actually designed for boost. If I wasn't buying a GT-R I would be all over this swap.
Looking them up I can't find one of those engines under 7 grand. That's double the cost of a vq. Good engine, but not quite "same cost" as just doing a built vq.

did they say what all fab work needs to be done to get it to work with those heads? What about clutch and trans mounting up since the gtr doesn't use a normal transmission?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:54 PM
bigcloud

Looking them up I can't find one of those engines under 7 grand. That's double the cost of a vq. Good engine, but not quite "same cost" as just doing a built vq.

did they say what all fab work needs to be done to get it to work with those heads? What about clutch and trans mounting up since the gtr doesn't use a normal transmission?
I was able to find complete engines with turbos for around 11k. This was through Greddy. I didn't get into those details, but I'm sure since Z Fever has some pretty sick engineers that they will solve it no problem. The owner of Z fever I believe is doing that swap on his own Z. I would have gladly been the guinea pig if I wasn't buying a GT-R.

You also have to equate the cost of a built VQ that can handle the same amount of HP as the GT-R stock block. I believe it's around mid 600's for the stock block. I do remember Sharif from Forged saying that the stock can handle around mid 700's with upgraded turbos. Don't quote me on that though.

I think that after it's all said and done you will be out about 30k. I would gladly pay for the VR38DETT block though instead of building a VQ.

Last edited by bigcloud; 07-15-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:01 PM
binder

I was able to find complete engines with turbos for around 11k. This was through Greddy. I didn't get into those details, but I'm sure since Z Fever has some pretty sick engineers that they will solve it no problem. The owner of Z fever I believe is doing that swap on his own Z. I would have gladly been the guinea pig if I wasn't buying a GT-R.

You also have to equate the cost of a built VQ that can handle the same amount of HP as the GT-R stock block. I believe it's around mid 600's for the stock block. I do remember Sharif from Forged saying that the stock can handle around mid 700's with upgraded turbos. Don't quote me on that though.

I think that after it's all said and done you will be out about 30k. I would gladly pay for the VR38DETT block though instead of building a VQ.
wow, that's pretty cheap then. It wasn't anywhere close to that at all the places that sell used nissan parts online.

I'm pushing 650hp right now on my 2800$ built block with no worries. Not sure why there is such a high failure rate on these engines. None of them around me have had any issues. Some rare cases might not be the user but most of them I think are the assembly by an unqualified person (garage builds that are just following forum notes).
Old 07-15-2012, 08:02 PM
bigcloud

wow, that's pretty cheap then. It wasn't anywhere close to that at all the places that sell used nissan parts online.

I'm pushing 650hp right now on my 2800$ built block with no worries. Not sure why there is such a high failure rate on these engines. None of them around me have had any issues. Some rare cases might not be the user but most of them I think are the assembly by an unqualified person (garage builds that are just following forum notes).
Yeah I was surprised Greddy could get them that cheap.

I would love to add some form of boost to the Z. The failures I've witnessed on the forums have deterred me though. If my Z with a built motor TT holds up like yours I wouldn't mind keeping it. In the long run it may be cheaper to keep the Z and boost it instead of buying a GT-R. However, I don't want to chance it.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i guarantee its people who dont know what they are doing, same thing with any engine. people have had tons of failures on the lsx platform also.............for the same reasons, others have pushed insane amounts of power with no problems, ill say it 100 times, nothing magical about the vq its just a engine just the same as everything else.

BUT if you try and use stock clearances on a high performance engine then well expect things to fail.

i know of a couple shops back in ohio that i guarantee have never touched a gtr before, but i bet you i can drop one off and ask them to build me a 1000 hp engine and it wont have any problems.

Last edited by jerryd87; 07-15-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:53 AM
binder

Yeah I was surprised Greddy could get them that cheap.

I would love to add some form of boost to the Z. The failures I've witnessed on the forums have deterred me though. If my Z with a built motor TT holds up like yours I wouldn't mind keeping it. In the long run it may be cheaper to keep the Z and boost it instead of buying a GT-R. However, I don't want to chance it.
The forums are skewed big time. Look at pf supercars and Vinny tenn racing. Both have produced a bunch of cars that are sub 11 second and lasted that aren't here on the forums. The majority of forum users are DIY people that like to do their own builds and will be inclined to post for 2 reasons: their build thread and their failure thread. So we hear more of failures than anything else. Percentage of actual failures verses cars that have no problems it's still low. Percentage of failures posted on the forum is huge. That's the same way over on the domestic forums. I see failures of ls blocks all the time at the track so based on that I would be scared of LS blocks but it's not the common thing it just happens.

about the GTR, If you wanted a boosted car that is an entirely different beast then definitely go for that! Personally I think it's wiser to just have a nice car and leave it alone than doing any mods at all. Any level of modification on cars puts higher risk no matter how hard it's pushed. I would choose GTR over my built g35 any day but not because i'm scared of my motor blowing up. I would do it for the awd, fast without mods, sexy body, better suspension, better feel and just pure sex appeal.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 AM
bigcloud

The forums are skewed big time. Look at pf supercars and Vinny tenn racing. Both have produced a bunch of cars that are sub 11 second and lasted that aren't here on the forums. The majority of forum users are DIY people that like to do their own builds and will be inclined to post for 2 reasons: their build thread and their failure thread. So we hear more of failures than anything else. Percentage of actual failures verses cars that have no problems it's still low. Percentage of failures posted on the forum is huge. That's the same way over on the domestic forums. I see failures of ls blocks all the time at the track so based on that I would be scared of LS blocks but it's not the common thing it just happens.

about the GTR, If you wanted a boosted car that is an entirely different beast then definitely go for that! Personally I think it's wiser to just have a nice car and leave it alone than doing any mods at all. Any level of modification on cars puts higher risk no matter how hard it's pushed. I would choose GTR over my built g35 any day but not because i'm scared of my motor blowing up. I would do it for the awd, fast without mods, sexy body, better suspension, better feel and just pure sex appeal.

I have looked at PF Supercars and Vinny Tenn. They both are very intriguing options for the Z. However, I think it's time to upgrade myself though. I'm in my mid 30's and the Z doesn't scream well to do single gentleman. You're right Godzilla is pure sex appeal. I'm just going to drive it daily and enjoy it. The Z will become a dedicated track car for HPDE's and such. Not dedicated track car like gutted cage etc....
Old 07-20-2012, 04:21 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

But the VQ35HR and VQ37VHR use the same head gaskets!!!

http://www.cosworthusa.com/store/pc/...&idproduct=820

If the the VQ37 heads bolt to VR38 block, then the VQ35HR heads should bolt to the VR38 block.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:34 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know about GTR and all this sex appeal... mostly dudes will look and most chicks have no idea what it is, then they realize it's just a nissan LOL.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Exemption

Originally Posted by midz350

If the the VQ37 heads bolt to VR38 block, then the VQ35HR heads should bolt to the VR38 block.
Hmmm interesting?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:44 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
I don't know about GTR and all this sex appeal... mostly dudes will look and most chicks have no idea what it is, then they realize it's just a nissan LOL.
This.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 AM
binder

nice, then that means whatever changes nissan made to the head gasket on the 37 really didn't alter it's dimensions. Probably a coating or different factory which caused them to use a new part number. I was going based on straight part number and slightly different look between the ones I have here that are OEM. The changes must not be that big of a deal between them then.

Big, do you have a link to that vr38 with the vq heads on it?

and chicks don't care if it's nissan. Any of the girls in my circle of friends love the look of the gtr even though they have no idea what it is.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Exemption

nice, then that means whatever changes nissan made to the head gasket on the 37 really didn't alter it's dimensions. Probably a coating or different factory which caused them to use a new part number. I was going based on straight part number and slightly different look between the ones I have here that are OEM. The changes must not be that big of a deal between them then.

Big, do you have a link to that vr38 with the vq heads on it?

and chicks don't care if it's nissan. Any of the girls in my circle of friends love the look of the gtr even though they have no idea what it is.
all girls car about is looks; not personality (power/engineering). The main concern would be the oil and water holes matching up.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:29 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

So. a stock VR38 short block, BP/STS kit, UpRev tune, injectors..etc in a 07-08 350Z would be the cheapest and safest ~600whp you can get.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Exemption

So. a stock VR38 short block, BP/STS kit, UpRev tune, injectors..etc in a 07-08 350Z would be the cheapest and safest ~600whp you can get.
In theory yes. I dont see why you couldnt push 7 or 800 rwhp for that matter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bottom block idea