Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

bottom block idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Exemption

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bottom block idea

I was doing some random reading about the 370z and the G37. After a little inspection of the 370z i noticed that it does not use an intake cam because of its new technology. However; the G37 does. It looks very similar to a vq35 block.

So here is the idea
Would the G37 bottom block be interchangeable with the 08 HR bottom block or DE for that matter?

I would expect That HR heads and sensors might be in the blocks are similar enough; however im sure the DE would be out of the question.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:06 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that is false. g37 and 370z use exactly the same engine: vq37vhr

also, both have cams. I just had one torn apart here in my garage. 2 cams per head

it's been discussed at length, no, it will not interchange with a vq35

Last edited by binder; 07-04-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Exemption

Originally Posted by binder
that is false. g37 and 370z use exactly the same engine: vq37vhr

also, both have cams. I just had one torn apart here in my garage. 2 cams per head

it's been discussed at length, no, it will not interchange with a vq35
from pictures i thought the 370z didn have an intake cam. time for some research thanks bro
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it dosnt have a intake cam in the traditional sense but it actually has 2 shafts for the intake cam. they work togeather to alter duration and lift iirc max duration on the stock system is 280 degrees and max lift is like 11.4 mm, not sure if anyone has cracked the code to tune that yet or not though. in essence you could think of it as having two intake cams per head although only one actually acts on the cams the other alters pivots to adjust everything.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Exemption

Originally Posted by jerryd87
it dosnt have a intake cam in the traditional sense but it actually has 2 shafts for the intake cam. they work togeather to alter duration and lift iirc max duration on the stock system is 280 degrees and max lift is like 11.4 mm, not sure if anyone has cracked the code to tune that yet or not though. in essence you could think of it as having two intake cams per head although only one actually acts on the cams the other alters pivots to adjust everything.
after looking a little more closely i see what your talking about. 1 controls the duration and another controls the lift. The only thing thats straying me from the 370 is the code has yet to be cracked. I cant wait to see what kind of power output the 370 can do once it is tho.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:18 AM
jerryd87

i think you will probably not see anything different for peak numbers for a 3.7L where the difference is going to come into effect is low end power and spool up for turbos by being able to dynamically adjust the duration and lift to accommodate velocity. im amazed no one has cracked it yet.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:32 AM
binder

soon....
Attached Thumbnails bottom block idea-tomhanks.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 05:24 AM
redline06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw VQ35HR and VQ37VHR are the same block
Old 07-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Exemption

Originally Posted by jerryd87
i think you will probably not see anything different for peak numbers for a 3.7L where the difference is going to come into effect is low end power and spool up for turbos by being able to dynamically adjust the duration and lift to accommodate velocity. im amazed no one has cracked it yet.
I would think adjusting lift and duration would result in more air flow and produce power like how "camming" an 35hr would...
Old 07-06-2012, 10:13 AM
jerryd87

except you can only achieve a maximum power from the displacement without forced induction. so in that aspect yah you will be able to make more power then stock but its still going to be in the same area as any other built 3.7L also taking a look it seems the 280 degree duration and 11.5mm lift is as high as the stock programming goes, supposedly if they unlock it it will be able to hit 300 degrees duration and 12.82 lift...............without spinning the engine to 10k rpms or mayby even more i dont see a big benefit there, with lift and durations like what is in the stock computer it should be able to handle 8500 rpms with improved valve springs and retainers(if those numbers are correct.)

if thats the case i can see why its not unlocked yet since there would be little or no benefit from unlocking the cam control.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:27 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

O.P. Weren't you looking into cams a while back? Did you ever do the install?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
redline06

think of it this way, if Nissan didnt equip the GT-R with VVEL then there must a pretty good reason. if you want more displacement in lets say your 35HR then throw a 3.7 rotating assembly in it with a custom piston (wrist pin moved up) . you can even fit a GT-R 3.8 crank in there with a bit of machining the snout of the crank (its like $900 new)
Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Exemption

Originally Posted by redline06
think of it this way, if Nissan didnt equip the GT-R with VVEL then there must a pretty good reason. if you want more displacement in lets say your 35HR then throw a 3.7 rotating assembly in it with a custom piston (wrist pin different up) . you can even fit a GT-R 3.8 crank in there with a bit of machining the snout of the crank (its like $900 new)
Im sure the gtr was being talked about and engineered before the 370z was in which would mean the engineering aspects of the engine are of different time zones. Just opinion no facts in that statement

Yes i was and i have jwt s2s sitting in my closet but some stuff came up that has my z sittinf under a car cover. Its been gettinf me into trouble lately. So i have been driving my honda.

Cops dont like young kids with sports cars
Old 07-06-2012, 11:41 AM
redline06

Originally Posted by Exemption
Im sure the gtr was being talked about and engineered before the 370z was in which would mean the engineering aspects of the engine are of different time zones. Just opinion no facts in that statement

Yes i was and i have jwt s2s sitting in my closet but some stuff came up that has my z sittinf under a car cover. Its been gettinf me into trouble lately. So i have been driving my honda.

Cops dont like young kids with sports cars
ehh idk but it cant be that hard for nissan to equip their VR38 with those heads. considering they came out on the G37 back in 08 they most likely would have done it by now if it were worth anything, but who knows.
lol careful bro dont get yourself in too much **** , Ive had two Zs since i was 18 and 0 tickets in 6 years. (watch me get pulled over on my way home from work lol)
Old 07-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Exemption

ehh idk but it cant be that hard for nissan to equip their VR38 with those heads. considering they came out on the G37 back in 08 they most likely would have done it by now if it were worth anything, but who knows.
lol careful bro dont get yourself in too much **** , Ive had two Zs since i was 18 and 0 tickets in 6 years. (watch me get pulled over on my way home from work lol)
No i accidently had one too many drinks last night blew .10 and blood test .082...no slack for meeeeee. Ya i heard alot about the vq and vr possibly being interchangeable. Would be nice
Old 07-08-2012, 08:22 PM
binder

btw VQ35HR and VQ37VHR are the same block
minus the huge fact that one is a 3.5 and one is a 3.7.....so no, not the same block.

i've had both torn apart on the floor of my garage. They are visibly different.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM
binder

No i accidently had one too many drinks last night blew .10 and blood test .082...no slack for meeeeee. Ya i heard alot about the vq and vr possibly being interchangeable. Would be nice

where did you hear they were interchangable? They are completely different engines. A few members (some with shops) looked into it and it wasn't worth all the customs machining to even attempt to get them working together.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Exemption

where did you hear they were interchangable? They are completely different engines. A few members (some with shops) looked into it and it wasn't worth all the customs machining to even attempt to get them working together.
Not on this forum. From friends. I hear many rumors and most of them own ls1 camaros...i guess they thought it was interchangeable like parts from certain lsx's. I never looked into it tho
Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 PM
binder

Not on this forum. From friends. I hear many rumors and most of them own ls1 camaros...i guess they thought it was interchangeable like parts from certain lsx's. I never looked into it tho
Ya, some shops have already looked into it. The design between the VR and VQ is quite different.

about the HR and the VHR they looked different when i had them here apart. The head gaskets are different. I didn't measure it but it looked like the head stud spacing was altered which could have been from the difference in cylinder bore. I never tried to match them up but just looking from one to the other they looked like different engines. Similar, but not the same.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Exemption

Ya, some shops have already looked into it. The design between the VR and VQ is quite different.

about the HR and the VHR they looked different when i had them here apart. The head gaskets are different. I didn't measure it but it looked like the head stud spacing was altered which could have been from the difference in cylinder bore. I never tried to match them up but just looking from one to the other they looked like different engines. Similar, but not the same.
IIRC the hr and vhr have the same bore the stroke was increased which resulted in the bigger displacement

Quick Reply: bottom block idea