Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Issue w/ New JWT clutch/flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:07 PM
K-TownGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue w/ New JWT clutch/flywheel

Hi all,

did a one hour search on this but couldn't find anything that relates to my issue.

I just had a brand new JWT clutch and fidanza (which is the same flywheel as JWT) flywheel installed. I knew once this clutch/flywheel kit was installed that there would be the typical chatter sound but there is another sound coming when i am in 'motion'.

It basically sounds like when you catch a plastic bag on the lower part of your car, and this noise only shows up when moving 35mph or faster.

Has anyone ever had this issue?

Any knowledge is much appreciated.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:27 PM
K-TownGuy

Guess no ideas...

I'm even thinking since the transmission was dropped to do the clutch work that maybe the shop didnt bolt the exhaust back on properly?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:36 PM
aaron.cobb3

if a shop did it I would take it back to them, explain the issue, and make them fix it
Old 07-09-2012, 09:54 PM
K-TownGuy

Yup, already in process. Took it back and they'll be checking out the issue... Looks like they didn't put the new rear main seal on properly as well, so I guess it'll be in the shop for a few days...
Old 08-09-2012, 03:25 PM
SeXy RiDe

hey. i just had my jwt clutch and flywheel installed and my clutch pedal is super soft to push. was curious as to if yours is the same?
hope all got fixed.the shop i went to was suppose to change my rear main seal but said they couldnt because they had to take alota stuff off to do it and didnt want to charge me the extra labor since there was nothing wrong with it.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:43 AM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeXy RiDe
hey. i just had my jwt clutch and flywheel installed and my clutch pedal is super soft to push. was curious as to if yours is the same?
hope all got fixed.the shop i went to was suppose to change my rear main seal but said they couldnt because they had to take alota stuff off to do it and didnt want to charge me the extra labor since there was nothing wrong with it.
parts needing removal to replace rear main seal:
1. transmission
2. clutch/flywheel
3. rear main seal...
Old 08-12-2012, 06:52 AM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwigs
parts needing removal to replace rear main seal:
1. transmission
2. clutch/flywheel
3. rear main seal...
Not true if its a DE or Rev-up.

You have to take the oil pan and lower cast alum. oil windage girdle off (part the stamped pan bolts to and then bolts to the block) to replace the DE's oil seal.

Its a much bigger job.

HRs and VHRs are a different story, it took me all of 3 minutes to replace my HR's main seal: use a small screw driver to pop out the old seal (very careful not to scratch the block or crank), lube up the inner lip of seal, and drive into place with an appropriate sized drift (I machined a big alum driver at work).
Old 08-12-2012, 06:21 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the rear main seal that you're talking about? I just replaced my transmission/clutch/flywheel last month and don't remember whatever you're talking about.

Fluttering noise like a plastic bag sounds like an exhaust leak to me.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:34 PM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hndumafia
What is the rear main seal that you're talking about? I just replaced my transmission/clutch/flywheel last month and don't remember whatever you're talking about.

Fluttering noise like a plastic bag sounds like an exhaust leak to me.
The rear main oil seal of the engine. It is the engine seal directly in front of the flywheel, around the crankshaft. It Is typically a good idea to replace it when the transmission is out bc its the same labor as changing a flywheel and clutch.

The DE motors are not the case bc it requires disassembly of the lower engine block to replace the seal. 07+ cars can easily pop out the old seal and drive in a new one.

My last car (2000 celica gts) got a new clutch in 2003 and about 2004 got a very minor oil leak out of the rear main seal. I drove that car until November 2010 and constantly wished I had changed the seal when the clutch was done.

With that in memory I made sure to change mine when changed the Zs flywheel and clutch.