Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Nissan Z/G VDC & Yaw Sensor vs ECU Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:11 PM
SOHOMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
only the slip and vdc lights should be on when you unplug the yaw sensor.

There should be no ABS light.

I run no yaw sensor because I have an aftermarket traction control. My ABS light is off and abs still functions properly.
Correct the ABS light should be off with the YAW sensor unplugged, what aftermarket traction control are you using?
Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Andrei

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also noticed it interferes while driving in snow and getting stuck trying to move. Around 1:30 into the vid.

And I cant tell, but I believe it retards timing and goes into open loop when the spiral cable in the wheel is broken. I broke it doing a motor swap.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:32 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SOHOMotorsports
The ECU will retard timing when it senses any type of slip angle that is measured from the yaw sensor. So when the sensor is activated it will send a signal to the ECU and the vehicle will retard timing along with the pulsations of the brakes from the ABS module and help to stabilize the vehicle.
Is this only when using Uprev for tuning?

I have never disabled my yaw switch and my timing is dead nuts on for what I have inputted into the my haltech. I've logged it through obd2 and with my haltech.

So this does not seem to be any issue for those of us running a separate tuning solution that takes over setting timing.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:14 PM
SOHOMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by binder
Is this only when using Uprev for tuning?

I have never disabled my yaw switch and my timing is dead nuts on for what I have inputted into the my haltech. I've logged it through obd2 and with my haltech.

So this does not seem to be any issue for those of us running a separate tuning solution that takes over setting timing.
Yes this will occur only when the stock ECU is used with the Uprev tuning software. A full standalone system such as the Haltech will override any actions from the stock ECU that will try to help in keeping the vehicle stable or the engine from any damage, but it can be a double edge sword where the values that are input into the system will stay the same regardless of the conditions or the engine operating temperature. If the person that is tuning the vehicle on a full stand alone is not a very efficient tuner, this could lead to detrimental problems down the road, where the stock ECU will compensate for any outside variable that changes from day to day, such as the weather. On the other hand, the full standalone does not rely on electronic components such as the yaw sensor so there is no reduction in timing due to slip that is noticed by the vehicle.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:23 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't see it with any of the tuning on stand alone systems so I was hoping there wasn't a missing link that I over looked.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:06 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never seen it try to kick in and make corrections when doing tuning pulls... it always faults out completely within the first pull (VDC+SLIP on steady before we do any tuning). Are you saying yours isn't faulting out on its own?

Last edited by djamps; 08-09-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:06 AM
nova15566

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had mine removed for a few years now (and dd without it). It makes a huge difference in how the car drives and like you said power output. I would never plug it back in on my car because I just don't see the need for it. Normal drivers may not want to do this but if you have some track time under your belt it is def worth the 3 mins or less it takes to unplug it (you will however throw two abs codes but no light will show except slip and vdc off).

The only negative thing I have seen from this is that only two times since removal my car has freaked out and locked itself into drive (5at) when I was doing a burnout in a straight line from first (not while on track drifting).

Do you have any input (soho) as to why it would do this?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:19 PM
djamps

When the trans stops shifting it usually indicates overheated fluid.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 AM
nova15566

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
When the trans stops shifting it usually indicates overheated fluid.
it happened the other day right when i jumped in. I drove 30 mins. Grabbed something to eat and talked with a few friends and launched it to test the etc off on uprev.
my trans temps are pretty decent. I have a large cooler. it is related to the traction system freaking out and throwing a code i just forgot to log the codes. Last time it happened was a 1-2-3 NA burnout at a shops lot... I never really do it but I was messing around with the etc thing. The other times trans temps where not high either... anytime I get them high I cool it down(but since the cooler and all amsoil atf with lubegaurd I haven't had an issue with temps and shifts have been better).

I think it is just one of those random fault codes caused by not having the yaw sensor installed.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 AM
djamps

Dunno man, really sounds like your trans is jacked up. The traction control / abs system can't cause the trans to get stuck in a gear...
Old 03-21-2013, 03:10 PM
SOHOMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Be on the lookout for our newest article that will discuss suspension components and their affect on handling!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Be on the lookout for our newest article that will discuss suspension components and their affect on handling!
Awesome, post it up.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:48 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Bump..?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think after they got hated on for their single turbo kit, they wont be contributing anymore to this forum
Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 PM
SOHOMotorsports
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Awesome, post it up.
Here is the article describing the effects of camber, castor, and toe
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...l#post10215334

i think after they got hated on for their single turbo kit, they wont be contributing anymore to this forum
We look at the "hate" on our turbo kit as constructive criticism, which is what we were expecting when we posted on this forum about our turbo kit. We will still be contributing to this forum and to the community as much as we can.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:44 PM
zswickliffe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the article describing the effects of camber, castor, and toe
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...l#post10215334

We look at the "hate" on our turbo kit as constructive criticism, which is what we were expecting when we posted on this forum about our turbo kit. We will still be contributing to this forum and to the community as much as we can.
keep on keepin' on, SOHO. You've contributed quite a bit and most people will never understand the amount of R&D that goes into anything.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 PM
joshua350z6841

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zswickliffe
keep on keepin' on, SOHO. You've contributed quite a bit and most people will never understand the amount of R&D that goes into anything.

plus one for this^^^