Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Built Shortblock Assembly Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:21 PM
mx594

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR RIZK
LOL I just got done reading that and then I saw your post. Thanks! I had both the DE and HR gaskets but I wasn't sure which was which.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:02 AM
mx594

It runs! I fired it up Tuesday night and let it run for a few minutes. Sounds good, no leaks, no problems at all.

Now its time to break it in. I'm going to follow IPP's reccomendation and change the oil after 50 miles and 3000 miles, no boost for the first ~750 miles.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:25 AM
mx594

Rear main seal is leaking. FML.

Engine will be coming back out. Probably not going to drive this stupid car until spring.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear that ...You sending it back to IPP to fix the leak?

Originally Posted by mx594
Rear main seal is leaking. FML.

Engine will be coming back out. Probably not going to drive this stupid car until spring.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:14 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IPP didnt install the rear seal.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How did you see the rear seal was leaking? was it leaking that much that it drained out of the transmission joint already?

I've done 3 different engines from re-freshing in my car and a few others (and hundreds of bike engines but those are different) and never had a new rear main leak.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:51 PM
mx594

There is oil coming from between the engine and trans. So I am petty sure its the rear main.

based on the numerous others that have had the same problems (https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...seal-woes.html) there is a high probability that I effed up the installation. I was careful when I put the seal in, but I didn't practice 10 times like others have suggested. I didn't know people referred to it as "the devil seal" or I would have payed closer attention to it.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:36 PM
binder

bummer. I guess i really didn't even pay much attention to them when I install them. Just tossed them on like I always have and they work.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 AM
mx594

Sounds like you got lucky!

I got the engine back out and pulled took off the trans/clutch/flywheel. It looks like the seal is leaking but it's a little hard to tell exactly where, there is a thin film of oil everywhere because it was getting on the back side of the flywheel and slinging on everything. Which also leads me to believe that it is the seal against the crank that it leaking and not the crescent moon shape oil pan deal, otherwise it would just run down and never get on the flywheel. Honestly the seal looks perfect from the outside, I don't see anything obvious like a folded lip or anything. I'm going to pull the pan off tonight and investigate further.

Last edited by mx594; 08-27-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:43 PM
binder

Sounds like you got lucky!
skill and practice
Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 PM
mx594

Well I found out why it was leaking. Apparently I must have blacked out an installed this seal with a hammer or something. Poor thing never had a chance. Kids - this is how NOT to install a rear main seal...

Old 08-29-2012, 07:09 AM
binder

Are you sure you bought a nissan one? The nissan rear main comes already pressed into the aluminum housing so you shouldn't need to press the seal into the housing and risk damaging it.

Iirc all the rear mains I have ordered from nissan were black as well but I would have to check the extras I have in the garage to confirm this.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:22 AM
mx594

Originally Posted by binder
Are you sure you bought a nissan one? The nissan rear main comes already pressed into the aluminum housing so you shouldn't need to press the seal into the housing and risk damaging it.

Iirc all the rear mains I have ordered from nissan were black as well but I would have to check the extras I have in the garage to confirm this.
I got it from CZP, and it included the retainer. So I didn't have to press anything in. My orignal rear main was black also, I figured the brown was just an updated seal material or something. As far as I know it is an OEM Nissan part...
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 PM
binder

I got it from CZP, and it included the retainer. So I didn't have to press anything in. My orignal rear main was black also, I figured the brown was just an updated seal material or something. As far as I know it is an OEM Nissan part...
If it came in a sealed nissan bag then it probably is just a different color from an update or something.

With it already pressed in that's a strange area to fail. I think you are the one to get lucky with that thing! It would have had to snagged something just right to fold over like that during install. Glad you got it figured out but it sucks to go through all that work again.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:20 AM
MR RIZK

My oem one and the new oem seal were both brown. The photo above is exactly what mine looked like when I removed it. I still believe the lip rolled when it was installed.

Makes me wish i had a HR as apparently you do not need to remove the upper oil pan to replace the rear main seal from what i have been told
Old 08-30-2012, 07:05 AM
mx594

Makes me wish i had a HR as apparently you do not need to remove the upper oil pan to replace the rear main seal from what i have been told
Oh you mean like every other car that I have worked on!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 AM
mx594

Originally Posted by binder
With it already pressed in that's a strange area to fail. I think you are the one to get lucky with that thing! It would have had to snagged something just right to fold over like that during install. Glad you got it figured out but it sucks to go through all that work again.
It definitely didn't help that I installed it while it was on the engine stand, and while I was talking to my friend who stopped by for a visit. So I was basically doing it blind with one hand because the stand was in the way and I was distracted.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:21 PM
binder

My oem one and the new oem seal were both brown. The photo above is exactly what mine looked like when I removed it. I still believe the lip rolled when it was installed.

I installed a new one without removing the upper oil pan once. You just have to put it in at the right angle and be careful like putting the front timing cover on with the upper oil pan on the car.

It definitely didn't help that I installed it while it was on the engine stand, and while I was talking to my friend who stopped by for a visit. So I was basically doing it blind with one hand because the stand was in the way and I was distracted.
I've done all mine on the engine stand. It gets a little tricky with the stand in the way but I didn't feel it was the hardest thing I have dealt with on a car.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:15 PM
mx594

Engine is back in the car and running great. No leaks after 200 miles.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Another thing for me to worry about with my pos.

FUUUUU

Especially because I just re-used my oem one. Looked fine, didn't think anything of it. Watch my car just POUR oil now.

Quick Reply: Built Shortblock Assembly Questions