Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Built Shortblock Assembly Questions

Old 07-22-2012, 05:13 PM
mx594

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Built Shortblock Assembly Questions

OK I am a noob when it comes to engine building, and I have some basic questions. I bought a built shortblock from IPP. I have the old engine fully disassembled, and the heads are off. The heads are coming off a perfectly good ~40K mile engine and I have no reason to believe they aren't flat. I am basically ready to start re-assembling with the new block. So here come the questions:

1. I assume it is standard practice to get the heads cleaned, checked for flatness and checked for leaks, is that true? I know I can check the flatness myself, but it seems like the cleaning would need to be done in a hot tank, which I do not have, and I certainly don't have any way to check the valves for leaks. Can any engine shop do this? What does it cost typically?

2. When I go to re-assemble the lifters and cams and whatnot, is there some type of assembly lube I should use, or just coat everything in regular engine oil?

3. Is there anything else I should do before I start putting it back together? I have L19's and HR headgaskets, a revup oil pump and an ATI fluidamper.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2012, 05:49 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would do a lot more research or just have someone build the motor for you since it seems like you are unsure on a lot of things. It's costing me $2200 for assembly and machine work for my block. Probably cost little less for you since my work is probably much more involved than what you're looking for.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Exemption

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) u dont have to...but your gonna run into problems. Take the heads apart and havr them machined and decked. Any machine shop should be able to do this. Shouldnt be any more than 100 per head for what your asking.

2) there are assembly lubes u can buy. You can use regular oil if you want.

3) is the block machined for the hr head gaskets? (If its not an hr engine)
Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 AM
mx594

Originally Posted by Exemption
1) u dont have to...but your gonna run into problems. Take the heads apart and havr them machined and decked. Any machine shop should be able to do this. Shouldnt be any more than 100 per head for what your asking.

2) there are assembly lubes u can buy. You can use regular oil if you want.

3) is the block machined for the hr head gaskets? (If its not an hr engine)
I am going to call some shops today and see what they can do. If they are flat, can they be cleaned without pulling all the valves? Or should I just pull all the valves and replace the seals anyway?

So those assembly lubes are OK to use on lifters, cams etc? I figured they would be fine but I just wanted to make sure.

The block is from IPP and Kyle said that he machined it for the HR headgaskets.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:11 AM
konrad

I always checked if my valves are sealing up by filling the runners with washer fluid . If it leaked out then I know the valves are not sealing, i always lap all my valves anyway after cleaning the heads.

Also you should check valve lash if you going to use aftermarket cams or any time you take the head apart. Everything is in the FSM. It's nothing hard
Old 07-23-2012, 07:52 AM
mx594

I called a local shop today (www.c-techperformance.com) and they are going to clean, vacuum test, and resurface the heads for $170 for the pair.

I'm keeping all the stock valvetrain but I will check the valve lash per the FSM. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Exemption

Originally Posted by mx594
I am going to call some shops today and see what they can do. If they are flat, can they be cleaned without pulling all the valves? Or should I just pull all the valves and replace the seals anyway?

So those assembly lubes are OK to use on lifters, cams etc? I figured they would be fine but I just wanted to make sure.

The block is from IPP and Kyle said that he machined it for the HR headgaskets.
Its always best to take the extra time to be more thurough. When building an engine u shouldnt try and take any shortcuts.

Yes u can use assembly lube on the journals of the cams for install or oil you need to cover the whole cam not sure what you mean by lifter.

Did u ask ipp if the head needs to be machines for the hr gasket to? Im not sure if they do or not
Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

send the heads to a shop to have them inspected and checked for true.

for lube, i like redline assembly lube. expensive but nice. I get it from summit racing.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:32 PM
mx594

Dropped the heads off at c-tech today. So I should be good to go when they get done.

I don't think the heads need to machined for the HR headgaskets, but I will check...
Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dropped the heads off at c-tech today. So I should be good to go when they get done.

I don't think the heads need to machined for the HR headgaskets, but I will check...
no, only the block needs extra machining.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

after you do the lash and its good then coat it in a good assembly lube, personally i use comp cams, redline or any other manufacturer is good too its just thick white lithium even the house brand at autozone will work. cover the lobes though as well as journals. (journals before you bolt em in, lobes after checking lash) make sure you have the caps indexed for both location and direction or your going have issues(mine if put on backwards had nasty lips those things are definitely not bored on center.)

DO NOT use just regular oil it might work for some but its asking for problems, our cams might be overhead cam but they are a identical action to a solid flat tappet, which are notorious for destroying themselves if not used with proper lube on start up, just ask engine builders who built engines in the late 90's with flat tappet cams when everything moved to roller tappet.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Exemption

Originally Posted by jerryd87
after you do the lash and its good then coat it in a good assembly lube, personally i use comp cams, redline or any other manufacturer is good too its just thick white lithium even the house brand at autozone will work. cover the lobes though as well as journals. (journals before you bolt em in, lobes after checking lash) make sure you have the caps indexed for both location and direction or your going have issues(mine if put on backwards had nasty lips those things are definitely not bored on center.)

DO NOT use just regular oil it might work for some but its asking for problems, our cams might be overhead cam but they are a identical action to a solid flat tappet, which are notorious for destroying themselves if not used with proper lube on start up, just ask engine builders who built engines in the late 90's with flat tappet cams when everything moved to roller tappet.
Any readings u can refer me to about using oil instead of assembly lube for the cams? Havent heard that before, dont want to give bad advice o.o
Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 PM
pavelecwikl
Banned

I would do a lot more research or just have someone build the motor for you since it seems like you are unsure on a lot of things
Old 07-24-2012, 04:56 AM
mx594

Originally Posted by pavelecwikl
I would do a lot more research or just have someone build the motor for you since it seems like you are unsure on a lot of things
Why do you people keep saying this?

I had three simple questions. Now that they are answered and the heads are at the machine shop, I am ready to rebuild the motor. It’s not rocket science.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:15 AM
MR RIZK

I believe the images below show what is required for HR gaskets
Attached Thumbnails Built Shortblock Assembly Questions-zenginebuild003.jpg   Built Shortblock Assembly Questions-zenginebuild009.jpg   Built Shortblock Assembly Questions-zenginebuild010.jpg   Built Shortblock Assembly Questions-zenginebuild025.jpg  
Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Why do you people keep saying this?

I had three simple questions. Now that they are answered and the heads are at the machine shop, I am ready to rebuild the motor. It’s not rocket science.
It is not rocket science, you are correct. But asking simple questions as you stated shows some people that you may not have knowledge to be doing this and last thing most people want to see, is something going wrong from lack of knowledge. That is all, don't get too offended from it.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Exemption

Originally Posted by graffkid732
It is not rocket science, you are correct. But asking simple questions as you stated shows some people that you may not have knowledge to be doing this and last thing most people want to see, is something going wrong from lack of knowledge. That is all, don't get too offended from it.
+1
i would take it as advice to help keep you from losing money. were just tryin to help
Old 07-29-2012, 09:12 PM
mx594

Originally Posted by MR RIZK
I believe the images below show what is required for HR gaskets
Wait a sec - is that headgasket in the last pic the HR gasket or the DE gasket? Does the HR gasket have the extra hole or is it the DE gasket that has the extra hole?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:19 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry been messing with my POS just experience, modern motor oil is a rather poor lubricant due to emissions requirements. our cams are essentially flat tappets which had issues in the 90's due to reducing anti friction materials. its gotten better by using harder metals, and sorta ok anti friction materials now but still no reason for excess abuse, plus the modern additives arnt close to as good hence why any racing team still uses the older formulations.
Originally Posted by Exemption
Any readings u can refer me to about using oil instead of assembly lube for the cams? Havent heard that before, dont want to give bad advice o.o

Last edited by jerryd87; 07-29-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:20 PM
MR RIZK

@MX594

This should help

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...HEAD_BOLTS.pdf

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Built Shortblock Assembly Questions