Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ECU and 4 smoked plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 05:54 AM
FairladyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12.9-13.1 is where you make the most hp.....Thats the air/fuel you want to be at. When we did my TA it ran 12.9-13.1 straight across the board.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:15 AM
KJY9

Originally posted by PhoenixINX
Wow... That sucks Kevin, sorry to hear about your mis-hap...

What are they doing to compensate you for all this?

They paying to get it flashed back to stock, labor, and plugs I'd hope??? Zero excuse for letting it lean out that badly down low.
It was free to get it flashed back to stock as Nissan has updated their flashes.

Someone on another forum suggested that someone may have stepped on the hose to the O2 sensor. Good theory, but then in wouldn't have spiked to 16 on these other runs all close to the same RPM with minor variances.

Last edited by KJY9; 01-20-2004 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:20 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh oh, makes me even more scared of what I am doing . . .I am running an untested, undynoed, special custom ecu flash. Oh well, I am dynoing tomorrow. This one does not ping at least! And 7200 still comes too quick!

Keep trying Kevin. But, they should not have let you leave with A/F over 13.5 anywhere on the graph on a custom flash.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:24 AM
KJY9

Originally posted by FairladyZ
12.9-13.1 is where you make the most hp.....Thats the air/fuel you want to be at. When we did my TA it ran 12.9-13.1 straight across the board.
I couldn't agree with you more.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:26 AM
KJY9

Originally posted by VandyZ
Uh oh, makes me even more scared of what I am doing . . .I am running an untested, undynoed, special custom ecu flash. Oh well, I am dynoing tomorrow. This one does not ping at least! And 7200 still comes too quick!

Keep trying Kevin. But, they should not have let you leave with A/F over 13.5 anywhere on the graph on a custom flash.
I hear ya buddy. I'm still steamed. I thought a good night's sleep would do it. UGH
LMK how your dyno goes
Old 01-20-2004, 08:19 AM
Wedge

KJY9...That was scary stuff. I can imagine how you feel. On the bright side, at least there was a dyno immediately available to take a look at the results of the bad reflash. If a few smoked plugs was the extent of the damage.....that is not too bad....it could have been worse.

I am sorry to see you go through all this aggravation and disappointment. Looks like it was quite the learning experience and if nothing else it will help the rest of us in future decisions.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Ethan

Kevin,

I’m sorry that you are disappointed in your tune. To be honest, we rode in your car for at least 20 miles and none of this happened and there was nothing on the dyno that indicated this problem would occur. I do have a couple of questions for you, since I am unable to get a hold of you through normal means, i.e. phone and e-mail, it appears that this is the best place to reach you. I am also unable to confirm the appointment we had set up to retune your car this coming Saturday (the time we already agreed upon this past weekend, after you had notified me of the problem).

The air/fuel ratios you point out are lean and the spikes are an anomaly somewhere in the tuning, they are typically consistent within the first pull or two, but from other cars, they disappear after the car has been run. I attribute it to the learning process of the new ECU code. Attached are the dyno graphs curiously absent from your post(s) lacking the a/f spike that has caused so much distress.

My question is, if the air/fuel ratios are so lean, why did you say your plugs were fouled out? I’m having trouble understanding this claim with the evidence that the dyno shows.

These cars do not seem to mind running lean on the low to mid end, but on the top-end of the car, they run what is typically considered safely rich for a normally aspirated car at 12.5:1. In fact, the tune that you had when you drove off ran richer than the others, but nowhere near was the 11:1 that you claimed it ran when we talked over the weekend. I think you have the sample taken at the rev limiter confused with what the car is typically running. Also, we’ve run cars at the rate that somebody suggested (12.9-13.1), but saw no change in power. The factory fuel curves seem to be optimal for most minor bolt-ons.

Again, I’m sorry that I fell short of your expectations and goals. I have no problem giving a refund for people who are dissatisfied with the product they purchase from me, but stopping payment on the check is fine. I prefer to verify that the car has been returned to stock, but I will go out on a limb and trust you on the claim that the dealer did return the car back to stock.

Regards,

Ethan Fisher

Old 01-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the shop in texas should have access to the new ecu maps from nissan via the shop in california.... they now are able to download the latest ECU versions from nissan's support website and readily read the files and be able to reflash the ecu with it...

this is increasingly important, so that the ECU tuners are working with the lastest revision from nissan on the base ecu programs..

dont be discouraged on the results.... the shop in texas just needs a little more time to do their R&D....

edit: the fuel in texas might also be of higher octane of those in california- did the tuner account for this during the baseline map changes?

Last edited by Chebosto; 01-20-2004 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:46 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are these new fuel maps?

Would it be advantageous for anyone to have these done?
Old 01-20-2004, 09:58 AM
FairladyZ

Ethan, what are your normal gains for a mostly stock car. Intake, exhaust?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:32 AM
KJY9

Originally posted by Ethan
Kevin,

I’m sorry that you are disappointed in your tune. ...
Again, I’m sorry that I fell short of your expectations and goals. I have no problem giving a refund for people who are dissatisfied with the product they purchase from me, but stopping payment on the check is fine. I prefer to verify that the car has been returned to stock, but I will go out on a limb and trust you on the claim that the dealer did return the car back to stock.

Regards,

Ethan Fisher

Ethan,

Nice Dynos, none of which were what I left Dallas with.

I called you on my way back from Dallas when the car started acting weird @5K and emailed you immediately when the plugs burnt up. I used the term "fouled" improperly in my email to you, but the end result is the same.
I did not disrespect you personally in this thread whatsoever if you read it through.
I think you may have a decent flash for stock Z's, but at this point it's obvious to me that you're not able to tune a modded Z. You said yourself several times that day how strange this flash was and how it didn't respond the way they usually do.

You have not had your phone call returned because I'm still fuming from missing 4 classes the other day to deal with this problem.
In my email to you I stated that once you have your maps done correctly to let me know and I'd bring cash and car to you to have you flash it the right way.

Had you told me that y'all were still in the experimental stages of flashing modded Zs, it certainly would have changed not only my expectations, but my decision to allow you to flash the ECU in the first place.

If you'd like a dated video of the car's tach cutting out @ 6,600
rpms, to show you that it's been flashed back just let me know and I'll get it out to you sometime Thursday, as I have 2 papers due tomorrow and no time to waste anymore on this thread.

Peace Out until Wednesday night or Thursday
Old 01-20-2004, 03:05 PM
alex30327

How about a pic of your smoked plugs!
Old 01-20-2004, 06:11 PM
chazzg

Originally posted by FairladyZ
Ethan, what are your normal gains for a mostly stock car. Intake, exhaust?
Ethan Has Been Claming 14rwhp and 18FLbst
Old 01-21-2004, 03:15 AM
FairladyZ

wouldnt that be nice....You want to be the next guinea pig chazz?
Old 01-21-2004, 03:33 AM
chazzg

I Just might be next. I am more local than KJY9 so it would be easy for Ethan to take care of any Prob I had.

Sorry, I miss Quoted Ethan
The claims are about 10-15hp and 10-15 ft.lbs of torque, btw. Not everybody's car responds the same, but we're able to get the results fairly consistent. It is odd how extremely modded cars produce much less torque, but not a greatly increased amount of hp for the tradeoff in both cost and torque, at least on the dyno. It looks like this car is highly tuned and places high demands on the developers of such parts.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:47 AM
FairladyZ

Maybe he could do a 50% off for the Z club members, if we can get all the members with 350's to do it.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:53 AM
chazzg

There is no way all the ZCOT 350Z will do this mod. Maybe 1% of them. You, Me, Warren, Scott, Mike L. and a few others at the most. I'd be happy with a 10% discount for ZCOT members. Did you get to meet Ethan at Thurs meet?
Old 01-21-2004, 04:01 AM
FairladyZ

No I didnt, which guy was he? I did the advance timing from Nissan and I am very happy with it! My dad is goingto do his next. You can actually feel the difference between the Z's.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:11 AM
chazzg

I did the Timing advance awhile back. it a good/cheap mod. He was at the Bar. He had just got there when the meeting ended
Old 01-21-2004, 04:27 AM
FLY BY Z

I'll be doing the flash as soon as I get LSD's plenum on.

Quick Reply: ECU and 4 smoked plugs