Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Help with new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 PM
bamaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with new clutch

alright got jwt combo but ive never had problem shifting in this car till now,,,shifting is real jerky,,,,,could my engagement be too low or high or does it get better with break in...
Old 06-22-2013, 04:26 AM
RedLine_ZR

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

id say it could take a little getting use to.. i had mine installed about 2 weeks ago and it did take me a bit to get use to.. just drive it around a bit more and see if you get use to it.. BTW you guys werent lying about all the noise it made.. s*** sounds loud and alot of ppl have asked me about the noise but its my car and i can live with it
Old 06-22-2013, 08:09 AM
AngelsVQ

get used to it, and yes all clutches behave differently when they have not been broken in, wait it out and if its still a problem then mess around with the engagement point.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:09 AM
VirulentHorizon

My mechanic races / drifts his 350 and he told me to stay away from jwt clutches. He installed one in his car that lasted about 2 months on the track, normally he'd go through a clutch once a year. I can't remember exactly what he said, something about a design flaw creating too much heat and something melted and locked the whole thing up. He also mentioned that it was really loud and shifting was more difficult than it should've been.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 AM
bamaman

appreciate it guys and the chatter doesnt get to me, i dont know if im deaf but its not loud to me, but then again i had chatter before this combo but i also plan on getting rjm performance clutch pedal kit,,ive heard it makes a hell of a difference but i guess for now ill just have to get used to it......did any of you guys go for the full 500 mile break in?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:35 AM
RedLine_ZR

Originally Posted by bamaman
appreciate it guys and the chatter doesnt get to me, i dont know if im deaf but its not loud to me, but then again i had chatter before this combo but i also plan on getting rjm performance clutch pedal kit,,ive heard it makes a hell of a difference but i guess for now ill just have to get used to it......did any of you guys go for the full 500 mile break in?
yea i think im about to 800 or 900 miles on it already.. like i said im already use to the feel of it now it feels normal to me again.. youll get use to it
Old 06-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Zmandriving

Originally Posted by RedLine_ZR
id say it could take a little getting use to.. i had mine installed about 2 weeks ago and it did take me a bit to get use to.. just drive it around a bit more and see if you get use to it.. BTW you guys werent lying about all the noise it made.. s*** sounds loud and alot of ppl have asked me about the noise but its my car and i can live with it
The rattle goes away the more you drive it. Probably a good 500 miles. I have same clutch and mine was loud at first and the got less loud as time goes by. It is a great clutch and flywheel.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:52 PM
pmarascal

Hey I'm curious - I also recently put in the JWT combo (I'm assuming you have the lightweight flywheel bc of the loud chatter talk..)

First off, at first I was almost scared driving it.. haha Now I'm used to it and feels just like home. Shifting gets smoother everyday, but still getting used to it.

But curious - I notice sometimes when I start my car the revs spike (normal) then will drop too low ~200 and sometimes stall right out or sometimes pop back to the normal idle. I read a lot that this is somewhat normal after replacing with a lightweight flywheel, but I figured that the computer would have adjusted by now (it's been almost 2 weeks)... I could reset the battery but it was reset during the install. Anyone experiencing the same thing? Not really a problem, more of an annoyance at this point.. people think my car's brooooooken
Old 06-23-2013, 03:28 PM
RedLine_ZR

Originally Posted by pmarascal
Hey I'm curious - I also recently put in the JWT combo (I'm assuming you have the lightweight flywheel bc of the loud chatter talk..)

First off, at first I was almost scared driving it.. haha Now I'm used to it and feels just like home. Shifting gets smoother everyday, but still getting used to it.

But curious - I notice sometimes when I start my car the revs spike (normal) then will drop too low ~200 and sometimes stall right out or sometimes pop back to the normal idle. I read a lot that this is somewhat normal after replacing with a lightweight flywheel, but I figured that the computer would have adjusted by now (it's been almost 2 weeks)... I could reset the battery but it was reset during the install. Anyone experiencing the same thing? Not really a problem, more of an annoyance at this point.. people think my car's brooooooken
it had happened to me when i installed my popcharger and 5/16 spacer. on hot starts if i didnt give it a little bit of gas it would turn off. after using it for sometime it went away on its own. the computer basically had to adapt itself to everything. and now that i had to disconnect the battery for the clutch/flywheel install it started happening again.. just have to keep driving it around and itll all go back to normal. after the jwt install and starting it up on a hot start and had forgot all about that.. i was like f*** not again =/
Old 06-23-2013, 03:38 PM
pmarascal

Yep.. exactly on hot starts only. So I'm sitting at the gas station starting my car up like a boss... fail haha. How long did it take for things to get back to normal? I also have a popcharger, but that never really gave me any sort of problem on it's own. ooo well, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something completely abnormal. Thanks redline
Old 06-23-2013, 05:23 PM
RedLine_ZR

Originally Posted by pmarascal
Yep.. exactly on hot starts only. So I'm sitting at the gas station starting my car up like a boss... fail haha. How long did it take for things to get back to normal? I also have a popcharger, but that never really gave me any sort of problem on it's own. ooo well, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something completely abnormal. Thanks redline
i seriously just laughed out loud. samething happened to me walking towards my car all proud and what not just like i do everyday and then it just turns off. i was like aww man wtf =( i was worried went home to search what could cause this and some members had told me to just drive it. it actually did take some time 1.5-2.5 months not really sure tho. i got so use to starting it and tapping the gas a bit i didnt notice i didnt have to anymore. i drive abt 30miles back and forth to college mon-thurs. so it did take a bit of driving.