Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

In need of a new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Olayguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of a new clutch

Just bought my first z less then a month ago and have noticed my clutch was sticking. Doesn't happen all the time but when it does its gets stuck to the floor or halfway and i have to pull it back up with my foot. went to the dealership today paid a $120 bucks to tell me my clutch was broken. They wanted $1200 for the new clutch. I have a family friend that would be able to give me a better deal on installing a new clutch. So i have been trying to research what clutch would improve some power but would also be reliable. Haven't found anything yet but would love some advice. Trying to keep price as low as possible! Thanks!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:19 PM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do some digging on the forums but it sounds like you just need to flush and add better brake fluid and or get new master and slave cylinders. I don't think you need a new clutch.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:53 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

You didn't mention how many miles are on your Z, but whether it's a clutch or the slave cylinder, at least get it up on jack stands and see if you have any signs of a leak from the clutch master to the slave. Depending on whether you've got a internal or external slave, there could also be a leak in the line between them.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:58 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,126 Likes on 6,579 Posts

i am going to say it is an 07-08 and the CSC is going out... mine did the same thing. if that is the case, replace the clutch at the same time because you have to drop the trans to replace the slave
Old 05-09-2014, 05:00 AM
treefiddyzeeh

Default Same Problem

I bought my car about 2 years ago. I've been having the same problem ever since. It acts like there is air in the lines or something but sometimes it will pop back up on its own if you let it sit long enough like its springing back up out of nowhere. The other day I was peeling out of a turn and redlined it half sideways all the way through the end of second gear and when I went to third the pedal was gone. I Looked down and it was just stuck to the floor. Happened to me again the next time I went to do the same thing. Seemed to halve the already minute amount of travel the clutch has (about an inch and a half at the top of the pedal) but after a few minutes of driving and a day later it returned to normal.

Moral of the story is I've been driving mine like that for a very long time with no real issues whatsoever. I think it is a mechanical defect with the clutch itself if other people are experiencing this same problem. You probably need a new clutch, but its not an emergency from my personal experience. I know there may be no correlation between our clutch problems but they sound identical so just giving my experience as an example.

Forgot to note, I had no leaks and could not diagnose it as the slave cylinder. (I have an 06 GT)

Last edited by treefiddyzeeh; 05-09-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 AM
HK350 Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If its an 07-08,more than likely its the CSC and its either out or on its way out...
Old 05-13-2014, 08:10 AM
JEImport
Vendor - Former Vendor

Default clutch problem

I would take a look at the clutch master cylinder. It is probably bad internally. What is the mileage? Does the car have an upgraded clutch? Its common to have that problem if the clutch is upgraded because of the additional pressure on the hydraulic system.

Does the clutch slip under a load?

Also, there is no clutch that will improve the power. A upgraded clutch will support more power and an aftermarket lightweight flywheel will free up a little bit of power but using an aftermarket flywheel will give you a lot of drivetrain noise. I generally recommend factory flywheels for street cars because they are quiet.