Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

flywheel/ clutch purchase....

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 12:28 PM
redline350ZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a few people said that since i have 15,000 miles on my car i should just use my stock clutch with the JWT flywheel till the clutch burns out... Jason or anyone u think thats ok???? if not how much does the JWT clutch cost?????
Old 02-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JWT clutch is $420 from me...

If you are going in to do the flywheel... you might as well change the clutch because you are going to spend another 400 to drop the tranny and then labor for the clutch...
Old 02-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by nuttyprof
wont using the tilton put more stress on the other parts of the drivetrain? i dont know man, that sounds great to have 3rd drive like 1st, but with the traffic in LA getting worse every year i dont think i can put up with it.
well... if you want to look at it that way... the stock flywheel weighting almost 30 pounds, that puts more strain then a 8lb flywheel...

as far as the driveway... you will get used to it...
Old 02-13-2004, 01:55 AM
redline350ZZ

how does the JWT clutch compare to the NISMO clutch??? and does the JWT clutch come with a new throw out bearing????
Old 02-13-2004, 05:24 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can hardly wait to get the Tilton back in my car! Unlike Jason, I didn't want to put up with the hastle of the whole thing. BUT, as soon as I went back to my Nismo set up I knew I was going to miss the acceleration game. I can't find the Dyno chart or I would post it, but the car gained over 20rwhp (on acceleration only... not top end). We have an experimental carbon street disc coming for my car to try out. This disc won't be for the masses as it alone COSTS $1000.00. BUT, it will fill in until Tilton can get the street version of their clutch finished.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:52 PM
DRFT_Z33

not sure if im replyling too late or not .. but the jun flywheel wheighs a little more than the tilton, its around the weight of the jwt but its one peice so it wont warp and its chromoly so you can resurface it as well ... and if some one else already posted this info sorry for that too
Old 02-15-2004, 07:55 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not all 2 piece units warp....it is all in how they are built

JWT = Fidanza - strong opinions on either side about their quality overall.

We have a GB going for the Unorthodox one right now - its among the lightest out there (12 lbs) and going into my car this week
Old 02-15-2004, 08:14 AM
NismoKid

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
I can hardly wait to get the Tilton back in my car! Unlike Jason, I didn't want to put up with the hastle of the whole thing. BUT, as soon as I went back to my Nismo set up I knew I was going to miss the acceleration game. I can't find the Dyno chart or I would post it, but the car gained over 20rwhp (on acceleration only... not top end). We have an experimental carbon street disc coming for my car to try out. This disc won't be for the masses as it alone COSTS $1000.00. BUT, it will fill in until Tilton can get the street version of their clutch finished.
What information do you have on the Tilton street clutch? Would you be able to slip it as much as you can do with the stock clutch? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:03 PM
Eagle1

Performance Nissan put in the Nismo clutch and flywheel on my car, and it was a very good modification. The felt results are immediate and obvious, there is no sound problem, it is easy to drive. Frankly, it is the way the car with the 6MT should come stock.

I agonized over whether to go for the JWT or the Nismo and took the conservative route with the Nismo. With the additional experience and slowing increasing driving skills I am attaining, with some additional mods, instruction, track time, etc., if it was to be done over I would get the JWT set up. Go for the results for essentially the same cost. It is driveable and civil, but throws very good performance improvement, and with the supercharger, I am already making enough of a racket that the little "cement mixer" grind at idle with the clutch out is not going to matter, because it won't be heard!

The Nismo LSD is much more of a "bad boy" on the street than the JWT flywheel/clutch, and I love the LSD.

I think the Tilton is still a track car piece of equipment that is only for a very small minority of drivers as a daily or frequent driver mod, until they come up with a street clutch that will take some of the edge off the launches needed for dead stop and incline situations. Just my opinion.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:34 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by NismoKid
What information do you have on the Tilton street clutch? Would you be able to slip it as much as you can do with the stock clutch? Thanks in advance.
The street version will allow full slip just like a street clutch should. Of course we will never sell you guy's anything without a full review and test them in my car first.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:05 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Arrgghh being patient sucks lol, gotta keep waiting for Tilton's street clutch . Jason, ohw's the car rev down say from when you going WOT then let off, does it decelerate noticeably quite a lot more, or just a little? I'm thinking about this mod to help get the engine into the range for turbo's to boost quicker, plus picking up an additional say +/- 20rwhp on the bottom end is not bad at all. Should help quite a bit with standstill acceleration, sounds like overall a good drag mod for turbo's. Hmm...
Old 02-17-2004, 04:18 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by Juztin
sounds like overall a good drag mod for turbo's. Hmm...
This flywheel is so light that it's just the opposite. Even if your doing 30mph in second and hammer the throttle, all your going to do is spin the tires. We found this out when Jason and I took out car's to the local drag strip. With a Tilton, off the line traction becomes an issue. Now once your hooked up there is nothing that can match the sick acceleration that thing will give you. Add a turbo on top of this..... hummmm sounds fun.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:48 AM
dollar99

what about ACT and clutchmaster clutches? how come no one tried these yet?
Old 02-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

they are just coming availble for the z...
Old 02-17-2004, 12:00 PM
mchapman

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
nismo flywheel doesnt add any noise more then stock at all compared to the others...

So if I buy the NISMO flywheel there will be NO new noises created?

Or are you saying that the noises are smaller than the ones created by other flywheels?

I really hate noises that arent there in stock form(exhaust excluded).

Last edited by mchapman; 02-17-2004 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:24 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

there will be such a slight bit of noise added and only below 2000 RPM while driving... but you dont really want to drive in gear below 2000 or even 2300...

most people when they hear the noise in my car with the lightest flywheel for this car, people say "tahts what people are complaining about.."
Old 02-17-2004, 04:24 PM
nuttyprof

why wouldnt you want to go under 2000 rpm? i drive in that range sometimes when i really really want to save gas and feel like grandma. is it bad with the new clutch?
Old 02-17-2004, 04:54 PM
mchapman

Hmmm.... Noises.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:43 PM
dchi_t

hey guys, i was just wondering, cuz u get just the jwt flywheel and the nismo clutch while using the stock pressure plate? or just the nismo fly w/ nismo clutch still keeping stock pressure plate?
Old 02-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Daniel G

I don't know how it would be on this car. But I had excellent results with my '01 Camaro SS using a "Clutch Masters" clutch. No clutch chatter or noises with this clutch...and I used a STAGE III!!!!!!!!!!!!! Other LS1 owners used Ram clutches, McLEOD all had great results as well..but clutch chatter, noises etc. But when word got out as to how awesome clutch masters are...I dedided to try it...awesome!!! If/When I change the clutch on my G35C, I'm going to try "clutch masters". Plus I feel comfortable buying a clutch from a company that Makes clutches and only clutches. But I'll have Performance Nissan install it. I'll be the Guniea pig with this clutch and report here when the time comes .

www.clutchmasters.com

STAGE I Clutch Masters
http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/?p...4ea4fa4ec04862

Stage II
http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/?p...000&AppID=5191

Stage III
http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/?p...000&AppID=5195

Stage IV !!!
http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/?p...000&AppID=5202

Last edited by Daniel G; 02-21-2004 at 08:49 AM.

Quick Reply: flywheel/ clutch purchase....