Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Z1 Motorsports Power Pack for The HR Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 07:26 AM
SNSH1NE_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z1 Motorsports Power Pack for The HR Z

I currently have an 08 HR Z, Automatic Transmission with the Invidia N1 Catback Exhaust. I was looking into the Z1 Motorsports Power pack level 1 which comes with your choice of intakes(I'm stuck between stillen gen 3, injen, and Nismo), HFC or test pipes(leaning toward the Z1 HFC), and the osiris tune. I was wondering which combination of intake, with the Z1 HFC and tune to go with as I already have my Catback exhaust. It is a great deal from buying directly from the companies separately as I have calculated to save around 300-500 dollars. How much HP can I expect from these mods as well? Thank you very much
-Austin
Old 02-16-2015, 08:03 AM
Zmandriving

Originally Posted by SNSH1NE_Z
I currently have an 08 HR Z, Automatic Transmission with the Invidia N1 Catback Exhaust. I was looking into the Z1 Motorsports Power pack level 1 which comes with your choice of intakes(I'm stuck between stillen gen 3, injen, and Nismo), HFC or test pipes(leaning toward the Z1 HFC), and the osiris tune. I was wondering which combination of intake, with the Z1 HFC and tune to go with as I already have my Catback exhaust. It is a great deal from buying directly from the companies separately as I have calculated to save around 300-500 dollars. How much HP can I expect from these mods as well? Thank you very much
-Austin
I have got an 07 hr and got invidia Gemini catback exahaust, kinetix hfc, stillen headers, and jwt pop chargers for intakes. Got tuned on mustang dyno and got 276 hp. Mustang dyno's read 12% lower than dynojet. So for my results my car would be about 309hp on dynojet. I would advise to go and get the car tuned on a dyno. I would say with those mods you listed you would get 10-15 hp increase.

Last edited by Zmandriving; 02-16-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:40 AM
SNSH1NE_Z

Originally Posted by Zmandriving
I have got an 07 hr and got invidia Gemini catback exahaust, kinetix hfc, stillen headers, and jwt pop chargers for intakes. Got tuned on mustang dyno and got 276 hp. Mustang dyno's read 12% lower than dynojet. So for my results my car would be about 309hp on dynojet. I would advise to go and get the car tuned on a dyno. I would say with those mods you listed you would get 10-15 hp increase.
With the HFC will it run faster at higher speeds? I've seen videos of HR Z's with HFC or test pipes beating Camaro SS's. Was wondering if stock exhaust and components are restricting. Thanks again
Old 02-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Zmandriving

With the HFC will it run faster at higher speeds? I've seen videos of HR Z's with HFC or test pipes beating Camaro SS's. Was wondering if stock exhaust and components are restricting. Thanks again
Yeah it will run faster at higher speeds. I think when you do headers you lose a little low end torque. Stock components are restricting. Increasing the size of the pipe when you go with aftermarket exhaust parts will allow for more airflow and is why you need to tune your car to match the change in air flow.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:51 AM
SNSH1NE_Z

Yeah it will run faster at higher speeds. I think when you do headers you lose a little low end torque. Stock components are restricting. Increasing the size of the pipe when you go with aftermarket exhaust parts will allow for more airflow and is why you need to tune your car to match the change in air flow.
Cool. Osiris
Old 02-16-2015, 11:52 AM
SNSH1NE_Z

Cool. Osiris or BullyDog tune? So no headers? These HR Z's can actually compete with stock SS's, 5.0's and SRT's, huh?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:23 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

No bolt on HR Z will keep up with a 5.0 stang.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:03 PM
tommy smith

Default I Andre12031948 will tell you what I did & know about an HR Z

Cool. Osiris or BullyDog tune? So no headers? These HR Z's can actually compete with stock SS's, 5.0's and SRT's, huh?
Except for my name on the Top 25 07/08 drag times list, ALL my posts were deleted.
There's a place where you can see my 2011 record times that I set at Raceway Park. Go to dragtimes.com, brows Niss. 350z & I'm on top of the second page. Now that was in 2011. In 2013 my record was improved.
That track allows only 3 test & tune runs. My 3 runs were all in the 12.5's with the best one being 12.504@110mph. I will tell you what mods my NA/HR 08z had.

2008 Enth. Z 6sp manual trans. H.D Act STREET clutch & alum fly wheel that with an automatic you won't need STOCK intakes w k&n filters, test pipes, STOCK Y pipe, STOCK entire exhaust system including the muffler.
An Osiris up-rev tune, 3:90 gears plus racing wheels & tires all around. Slicks in back, skinnies in the front, which with an automatic you AGAIN won't need that.

That's it!!! The HR factory headers are as good as it gets.

Now with an automatic I'm not familiar with how the gears are spaced so I can't say what gears you would need. I think it's a 5 speed???

With your car(just like mine) almost stock with the right gears & traction you can do high 12's.

In early Spring of 2013 I made 2 changes to my car & dropped the record to 12.419. You won't need those 2 things.

With very few mods & just driving to the track, would 12.9's be enough for you ??? If yes than I or someone else can help you with the gear numbers.

Good luck & it's fun running at the track. I beat my share of surprised Mustangs & Camaros....
Old 02-16-2015, 01:07 PM
SNSH1NE_Z

Originally Posted by tommy smith
Except for my name on the Top 25 07/08 drag times list, ALL my posts were deleted.
There's a place where you can see my 2011 record times that I set at Raceway Park. Go to dragtimes.com, brows Niss. 350z & I'm on top of the second page. Now that was in 2011. In 2013 my record was improved.
That track allows only 3 test & tune runs. My 3 runs were all in the 12.5's with the best one being 12.504@110mph. I will tell you what mods my NA/HR 08z had.

2008 Enth. Z 6sp manual trans. H.D Act STREET clutch & alum fly wheel that with an automatic you won't need STOCK intakes w k&n filters, test pipes, STOCK Y pipe, STOCK entire exhaust system including the muffler.
An Osiris up-rev tune, 3:90 gears plus racing wheels & tires all around. Slicks in back, skinnies in the front, which with an automatic you AGAIN won't need that.

That's it!!! The HR factory headers are as good as it gets.

Now with an automatic I'm not familiar with how the gears are spaced so I can't say what gears you would need. I think it's a 5 speed???

With your car(just like mine) almost stock with the right gears & traction you can do high 12's.

In early Spring of 2013 I made 2 changes to my car & dropped the record to 12.419. You won't need those 2 things.

With very few mods & just driving to the track, would 12.9's be enough for you ??? If yes than I or someone else can help you with the gear numbers.

Good luck & it's fun running at the track. I beat my share of surprised Mustangs & Camaros....
A consistent 12.9 is great with me. I dont want to wreck the reliability of the car by adding to much, but intake, exhaust, HFC, gears, good tires, and possibly plenum spacers and other little things, I dont mind. Ya know? Thanks!
Old 02-16-2015, 01:27 PM
tommy smith

Default In my opinion & from 5+ years of holding and breaking my own record

A consistent 12.9 is great with me. I dont want to wreck the reliability of the car by adding to much, but intake, exhaust, HFC, gears, good tires, and possibly plenum spacers and other little things, I dont mind. Ya know? Thanks!
I'll tell you what I think & leave it to you to make the final decision. After all, it's your car

First, YOU can't hurt the car(miles on car ???) because with me releasing the clutch at over 5,000rpm at the starting line & shifting at 7,500 rpm, nothing ever went wrong with my car. Drove to track & drove back home.

I did not/don't recommend changing intakes. Test pipes while don't sound that great are better than HFC, but not that much so I would NOT add a spacer. It's NOT a DE. Since it's an auto tires are easy to get & I can recommend some..... As far as "other little things" they can hurt performance quicker than help.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:35 PM
SNSH1NE_Z

I'll tell you what I think & leave it to you to make the final decision. After all, it's your car

First, YOU can't hurt the car(miles on car ???) because with me releasing the clutch at over 5,000rpm at the starting line & shifting at 7,500 rpm, nothing ever went wrong with my car. Drove to track & drove back home.

I did not/don't recommend changing intakes. Test pipes while don't sound that great are better than HFC, but not that much so I would NOT add a spacer. It's NOT a DE. Since it's an auto tires are easy to get & I can recommend some..... As far as "other little things" they can hurt performance quicker than help.
Whatever advice will help me I'll take. So not even the Stillen, Injen, or Nismo intakes will help really? But tune, and HFC or test pipes and tires? I need new tires as I have 60k miles on it and the tires on it are loosing grip, actually there was never any lol. But I'm looking at Toyos, Yokohamas, possibly Pirellis. What you say?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:55 PM
tommy smith

Whatever advice will help me I'll take. So not even the Stillen, Injen, or Nismo intakes will help really? But tune, and HFC or test pipes and tires? I need new tires as I have 60k miles on it and the tires on it are loosing grip, actually there was never any lol. But I'm looking at Toyos, Yokohamas, possibly Pirellis. What you say?
Injen I believe makes one long tube intake set that uses fresh outside air. The other intakes are under the hood where the heat from the engine RUINS performance ALSO the places(holes) of the stock intake boxes get ONLY fresh outside air with(something most don't know) a RAM AIR/forced into the stock air boxes from underneath the car. Explanation !!!

Look at a airplane's wing. WHAT LIFTS AN AIRPLANE INTO THE AIR????
Now look at you car from the side. The top is a giant curve, the bottom of the car is a straight line. There's MUCH more air flow under the car than over and just like a plane's wing air pressure is pushed up from under the car right to the top where the stock intakes opening are. Get it??? Now that info will cost you money!!!!
Old 02-16-2015, 03:29 PM
SNSH1NE_Z

Injen I believe makes one long tube intake set that uses fresh outside air. The other intakes are under the hood where the heat from the engine RUINS performance ALSO the places(holes) of the stock intake boxes get ONLY fresh outside air with(something most don't know) a RAM AIR/forced into the stock air boxes from underneath the car. Explanation !!!

Look at a airplane's wing. WHAT LIFTS AN AIRPLANE INTO THE AIR????
Now look at you car from the side. The top is a giant curve, the bottom of the car is a straight line. There's MUCH more air flow under the car than over and just like a plane's wing air pressure is pushed up from under the car right to the top where the stock intakes opening are. Get it??? Now that info will cost you money!!!!
Haha. Gotcha. What gears would you recommend for the A/T? And tires?
Old 02-16-2015, 04:40 PM
tommy smith

Default most here are into dyno numbers, NOT racing-so you want a quicK azz car instead

Haha. Gotcha. What gears would you recommend for the A/T? And tires?
Highest H.P even good driving is not enough if you want kick azz car on (not recommended) some country road that blows the doors off the other guy or a quick car at the drag strip that surprises & impresses people. Wondering what I'm talking about???

I want you to go on youtube & enter andre12031948. There will be 2 old videos there. One video is me going through a 1/4 mile at a drag stip with a camera on my helmet. It's fun to watch but after you do that go to the second video it's called in the blink of an eye. Pretty much I was able to press/release the clutch pedal & shift from one gear to the next as quick as a person can blink. Now that's impressive but I want you to look at something else.
I wants you to look at the tachometer from the beginning of the video till the very end, then post what you saw, if you noticed something, something that would make the car quicker. It's hard and I don't expect you to see it, BUT try it & post back...
Old 02-16-2015, 04:57 PM
SNSH1NE_Z

Highest H.P even good driving is not enough if you want kick azz car on (not recommended) some country road that blows the doors off the other guy or a quick car at the drag strip that surprises & impresses people. Wondering what I'm talking about???

I want you to go on youtube & enter andre12031948. There will be 2 old videos there. One video is me going through a 1/4 mile at a drag stip with a camera on my helmet. It's fun to watch but after you do that go to the second video it's called in the blink of an eye. Pretty much I was able to press/release the clutch pedal & shift from one gear to the next as quick as a person can blink. Now that's impressive but I want you to look at something else.
I wants you to look at the tachometer from the beginning of the video till the very end, then post what you saw, if you noticed something, something that would make the car quicker. It's hard and I don't expect you to see it, BUT try it & post back...
Not really sure what I saw as I watched. I saw a quick car that would be heck for anyone to keep straight, while the tachometer bounced everywhere. Im not even sure haha
Old 02-16-2015, 04:58 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

osiris and i am going to say no on keeping up with the other cars

do some more homework, they don't make plenum spacers for the HR's

i had an 08 with Takeda intakes, art pipes, and tdx2.... tuned on a mustang dyno and i hit 287 who (mustangs are from 10-12 lower as previously stated, several variables that can affect it)

Last edited by travlee; 02-16-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:02 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

my initial tune... almost exact same stuff minus the headers and i hit 275. unless you go long tubes you are kinda wasting time and money
Old 02-16-2015, 05:16 PM
SNSH1NE_Z

Originally Posted by travlee
osiris and i am going to say no on keeping up with the other cars

do some more homework, they don't make plenum spacers for the HR's

i had an 08 with Takeda intakes, art pipes, and tdx2.... tuned on a mustang dyno and i hit 287 who (mustangs are from 10-12 lower as previously stated, several variables that can affect it)
Sorry for my misunderstanding on the plenum spacers. So basically what I'm learning is a good intake(seems like some dont like them), HFC or Test Pipes, and gears are the way to go, huh?
Old 02-16-2015, 06:00 PM
tommy smith

Default OK

Not really sure what I saw as I watched. I saw a quick car that would be heck for anyone to keep straight, while the tachometer bounced everywhere. Im not even sure haha
One of the most important things for having a quick car is to keep the car at the highest H.P. through the whole race or the 1/4 mile.

So lets say one car makes 300h.p at 6,000 rpm & another car makes 275 H.P. also at 6,000 rpm, both cars are driven by drivers that are completely equal in driving skills, will the 300H.P win the race ????? OFF COURSE !! ????? maybe, maybe it will loose by 5 car lengths.

That's where the H.P. curve comes in AND GEARING! (remember?).
Now read the first sentence. ^^^^^^^ at the top^^^^^^^^^^

My car made top H.P. at (I'll round it off) 7,000 rpm so I didn't shift at 7,000 rpm because after shifting, the car's rpm would drop & go way under my highest H.P. rpm level of 7,000 rpm. and it would take a long time to get back to 7,000 rp(car goes slow). So I shifted at 7,500 rpm

Now that video was when the car had 3:90 gears so the tach dropped lower & it took longer to get back up. Also I crossed the finish line at 7,000 rpm NOT the 7,500 rpm so with the 3:90 gears I was much better than with stock gears BUT not as good as with the 4:08 gears that I switched to.

With the 4:08 gears after shifting the rpm didn't drop as low so I was at a higher H.P level cause it was closer to the 7,000 rpm (highest h.p. level) & shifting at 7,500 rpm then dropping to 6,500 rpm kept the 7,000 rpm(highest H.P. level) in the middle and staying there the longest time.

SO, first sentence-KEEPING the car at THE HIGHEST H.P. LEVEL for THE LONGEST TIME PRODUCES THE QUICKEST CAR. Makes sense????

GEARING? (VERY IMPORTANT!!!) work on it next time... I corrected myself ^^^^

Last edited by tommy smith; 02-16-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:07 PM
tommy smith

Default I assume it's a 5 spd automatic ???

Gearing will be hard to determine because will YOU/WE use 3 or 4 gears in the 1/4 mile ??? Choosing gears should be the last and maybe most important job

Quick Reply: Z1 Motorsports Power Pack for The HR Z