Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Just got back from the Dyno, Not impressed...Need opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 09:06 PM
sith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got back from the Dyno, Not impressed...Need opinions!

Well FINALLY i made it to the Dyno...I was finally starting to get excited about it and looking forward to it...As you can see from my Mod list i have the following on my car....

-Injen SES exhaust
-LSD Test Pipes
-JWT Pop-charger
-Crawford Plenum

Now to the bad part... I never got a baseline but my buddy was there with his bone stock track Z.... We put his on the Dyno and on the 3rd pass it made 241hp & 238tq...
We were all kind of impressed by this saying he had a strong engine.

Throw mine on the Dyno and BAD News... My first couple pulls were only 232 and 238.... So i keep making some pulls and FINALLY i get a OK one at 246.7 HP & 235.9 TQ.....

So we layed his Dyno graph on Mine... He makes more power than me from 4400 RPM's all the way to 5800 RPM's where his finally falls off and mine slows makes a peak and then falls off.

Now in all Honesty i think the Plenum is hurting me...I don't know if i have a gasket leak or what but on the street my car is faster then what it dyno'd.

After the Dyno for a comparision me and the other Z went out to do a pull and from a 2nd gear punch and we are equal drivers we were even through 2nd gear, in 3rd i pulled about 1 car, and in 4th i started to walk away up to about 3 cars when i shut down just as i shifted into 5th....

Now my A/F starts in at about 14.2 and steadily drops down to about 13.4 at redline....So it's not horrible.... I need answers cause i'm really upset with my car right now.

I'll have pics of the dyno's up soon, and the video of me and the other Z racing.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:22 PM
mofoz

was his manual as well? did you do multiple pulls?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:22 PM
2003z

1 answer, technosquare
Old 02-12-2004, 09:28 PM
sith

yes it's a 6spd and i made 6 passes.
they gradually got better till i hit 246 then went back down..

And my A/F isn't in need of a Reflash is it? I'm not rich or lean i'm pretty much perfect aren't I?

Here's video of me against the Stock Z
hope to have my Dyno ontop of his posted tomorrow!!!

http://idahostreetracing.com/gallery...350zvs350z.wmv

right click and save-as
Please...

Last edited by sith; 02-12-2004 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:51 PM
sith

For more proof is here me Versus a Supra TT and Evo8

The supra dyno'd 330hp at 18lbs and that was all that was done to it.
In the video he is at 21lbs and has HKS Intake and yes we punched it at the same time

The EVO8 has Bushur exhaust and that is it......

http://idahostreetracing.com/gallery...s/Untitled.wmv

I know my car has more than 246 in it
Old 02-12-2004, 10:06 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very very interesting info here. 1st, you don't have a baseline, so that part is hard to tell.

2nd, that video is clear to me what car was faster, now I was worried that you were the 1 who started a bit early and that would explain it, as I keep watching, sure likes like your buddy got the slight jump, and you started puling and never looked back. Unless he had 2 people in the car and a full tank of regular gas and you have 1 person and are running 100 octane, it seems to me that the dyno and the ACTUAL performance are different in this case. Anyone have an answer????
Old 02-12-2004, 10:08 PM
rodH

another interesting point, is that you have a enthusiest (heavier wheels) and he has a track (lighter wheels). Rotational wt can have a bit of difference, just interesting that you are faster. Could the wheels effect the Dyno guys??
Old 02-12-2004, 10:12 PM
sith

well i got some Konig Verdicts on it right now
17" rims but with 45 series tires so they are actually 1 inch smaller in diameter than the stock rims and tires.

But also these rims alone are 27 lbs A PIECE !!!!!
so they are definetly heavy !

yeah we pretty much went at the exact same time.. He might have got a slit jump but not much at all....Through second it's clsoe, but in 4th i just start to leave him badly.....
Old 02-12-2004, 10:14 PM
rodH

just watched the vids again, DUDE, your car hauls BUTT!!! A hint next time you race teh EVO, roll up your windows it adds a lot of drag. how did those races start and end up, over 100-130 the Z kills the Evo, but 0-60 AND 0-100 the evo wins. Part of the reason the Z wins to 110 and 130 is because of drivetrain and aerodynamics (a boxy car has a hard time over 100 mph). Tell us more.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:17 PM
ElvishasaZ

im guessing the camera car has two people in it thus heavier.
so of course you would pull on it a little if your dyno's were that close especially. however if your car also has two people in it when you raced the evo and supra then ya I would say you have a point about you putting out more than 246rwhp.

here is something to take note of that some dyno's CANT account for as in real life. ITS THE AIR COMING THROUGH YOUR INTAKE hard to simulate with a static in place car verses one that is moving faster and faster through the air which is also moving .That would account for it performing better in some cases then on the dyno. $ 0.02
Old 02-12-2004, 10:19 PM
sith

The supra race was from top of first gear so about 25 miles an hour up to end of 4th cause i bounced off the rev limiter telling him i was done. so to about 115 or so.

the evo was from about a 40mph role. I actually wasn't driving my car in that one so when they initially go at it my friend bounces off the rev limiter for just a second... Pretty head to head until the end of 4th when the evo pulled up about 3/4 of a car when the Z stopped the walk and then at about 120 the Z started to slowly creep up to about 1/2 a car then the Evo hit the brakes.....Was actually a REAL good run.

And also tha Supra in the first race Dyno'd today as well. With just Disconnected Exhaust and Race Gas he hit 375hp & 366 tq

I also raced him lastnight with his exhaust disconnected and i spun the wheels badly but managed to hold him at 2 cars where he didn't pull anymore until about 110
Old 02-12-2004, 10:20 PM
sith

And as far and me against the stock Z.

The 2 passangers in the Stock Z both weight about 150 lbs.

I had a passanger with me and i weigh about 150lbs....And my passanger weighs roughly about 200 lbs.

So i Weigh more especially with my heavy rims..
Old 02-12-2004, 10:21 PM
rodH

Originally posted by ElvishasaZ

here is something to take note of that some dyno's CANT account for as in real life. ITS THE AIR COMING THROUGH YOUR INTAKE hard to simulate with a static in place car verses one that is moving faster and faster through the air which is also moving .That would account for it performing better in some cases then on the dyno. $ 0.02
very very good point, esp considering that his mods ALL deal with air flow (on both intake and exhaust side), that could be it.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:32 PM
mofoz

some dyno places put a big fan infront of the car to simulate highway driving.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:41 PM
sith

It had a large fan on it at all times.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:14 PM
fdao

Sith,

Don't place too much emphasis on Dyno numbers. The track is where the truth will be known.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:37 PM
shimz350z

sith go to another place?...i wouldn't know what to say look at my sig underneath my screename....that will explain the level of "Z/car" knowledge...but i have to thank you for the nice vids you showed us.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:27 AM
shinz

little off topic here but your car sounds great at WOT.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:23 AM
dougrace zs

The wheels will defiantly cause differences in dyno readings.
When we first started dynoing these car we noticed that Adams car with the enthusiast wheels dynoed around 8 to 10 hp lower then Chris's car with the track wheels. I baselined my car with the heaver enthusiast wheels went back to the dyno with my lighter but a lot wider Kinesis wheels and lost 8 hp , put the stock wheels back on and got the HP back on the next run. I'll bet if you were to run his track wheels on your car for the dyno runs you would see better gains but who really cars your car hauls ***
About the AF thing dosen't look like you have a leak those AF look pretty damn good.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:56 AM
pimp1911

I agree with 2003z. Technosquare. Also,get rid of those stock cats. Seems alot of you power is bottled up in the middle of your car.

Quick Reply: Just got back from the Dyno, Not impressed...Need opinions!