Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dave,

How did the install go?
Old 03-14-2004, 03:22 PM
350z-to-be

Default Easy off!

Originally posted by dave079
******* crank pulley nut! I tried my hardest with me standing on the brake and a friend with a 2 ft breaker bar and can not get that thing off. Oh well I am going to a local shop on tues or wednesday and they said they will do my R/T cats and Pulley for $110. At least its a good price. I guess it will be cool to get them both done at once and feel what both combined feel like, instead of one at a time. I will write my review on both these mods once installed.
I tried the ol' breaker bar plus 2 foot persuader for about 2 minutes before giving up and trying the technique previously mentioned on another thread (attaching the breaker bar, with persuader at the "4:30" position, so that the bar is resting on the ground.). Just turn the ignition and voila!, nut breaks loose in all of half a second.
I would definitely recommend this technique to all.

P.S. I would also recommend DIY'ing it. I did the two pulleys in half an hour.
I'm planning to use a Quick Grip clamp to get the alternator pulley off as soon as I get a big enough socket. (that's what I used to keep the other pulley from spinning while I removed the bolts.)
Old 03-15-2004, 06:20 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dave079
******* crank pulley nut! I tried my hardest with me standing on the brake and a friend with a 2 ft breaker bar and can not get that thing off. Oh well I am going to a local shop on tues or wednesday and they said they will do my R/T cats and Pulley for $110. At least its a good price. I guess it will be cool to get them both done at once and feel what both combined feel like, instead of one at a time. I will write my review on both these mods once installed.
A hint to anyone interested. A easy way to pop that bar loose is this. Have the breaker bar (at least 2 feet long.). Whichever way the pulley turns, like if it turns CCW, have the break bar on the left side angled down against the concrete ground. So when the pulley turns its putting pressure against the ground. Next, disconnect your coil packs, and now have someone click the starter on the car, if one click won't break the bolt loose, do many more till it does. The starter has the torque to break it loose. Done it on a few cars with excellent results.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:33 PM
D_Nyholm

I skimmed through the entire thread and no one mentioned what size belt you have to go. I thought I read something about a 44.5 or at 45.5? Can anyone confirm this for me?