Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My Unorthodox pulley review

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 11:21 AM
daytona350zr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Unorthodox pulley review

Well just had the UR crank pulley put on. I must say compared to my "useless" CAI this mods really makes a difference I can feel. The car revs up quicker and i can feel it pull harder during acceleration. As far as top end I don't feel much difference but down low I can feel it. According to UR they say to give the ECU 4-6 days to "adjust" itself to the lighter pulley, so maybe my car will make even more power down the road. This is a very good mod for the money IMO and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Two thumbs up!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 02:15 PM
mpol99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool thanks!
Old 02-13-2004, 02:45 PM
350zdanny

Did you do the install yourself? If so, how hard was it for you? How long did it take? Did you change the belts or are you using stock ones? Is there any change in sound?

What's the quality of the pulley?
Old 02-13-2004, 04:05 PM
daytona350zr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 350zdanny
Did you do the install yourself? If so, how hard was it for you? How long did it take? Did you change the belts or are you using stock ones? Is there any change in sound?

OK after driving around the whole day the car feels even stronger, I think the ECU is compensating like UR says it would. Top end is better now also but the TQ is great.

As for your questions 350zdanny: I had a shop install it, took about 1 hour, yes you have to get shorter belts but you can get the belts at the same time from the person selling you the pulley ie: performance nissan or direct from UR or COz1. As far as sound no change and the quality is a A++++
Old 02-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Ultimateone

Its such a great mod, definitely worth every penny
Old 02-14-2004, 06:14 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

how much does the shop usually charge to install a crank pulley?

thanks!
Old 02-14-2004, 06:29 AM
EL Diablo

HeHeHe

mine goes in next week. Along with some R/T cats

See you soon Jeff,Jenny, and Jason.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:33 AM
Dave679

Sorry for the ignorance, but can someone explain how new pulleys result in improvements? Where is the benefit coming from? Is it a different size resulting in different leverage? If so, what are you giving up?
Old 02-14-2004, 07:59 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by Dave679
Sorry for the ignorance, but can someone explain how new pulleys result in improvements? Where is the benefit coming from? Is it a different size resulting in different leverage? If so, what are you giving up?
http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/faq_pulleys.html
Old 02-14-2004, 08:10 AM
roark

Originally posted by 350zdanny

The UR pulleys are works of art. When you see them you won't want to put them on your car - instead you'll want to hang them on the wall. Top grade, and an excellent DIY mod!
Attached Thumbnails My Unorthodox pulley review-gallery-008-small.jpg  
Old 02-14-2004, 08:21 AM
FLY BY Z

Yeah, anytime there is something I have installed at the dealer and it only takes 10 minutes, I say, damn, I should have done that one myself....
Old 02-14-2004, 08:34 AM
phile

So how much was the install? And has anyone else gotten the entire pulley set, rather than just the crank pulley?

BTW, UR's aluminum flywheel is lighter than the JWT, but not ridiculous like the tilton Shipping weight is 13lbs.

Last edited by phile; 02-14-2004 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:38 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by phile
So how much was the install? And has anyone else gotten the entire pulley set, rather than just the crank pulley?

BTW, UR's aluminum flywheel is lighter than the JWT, but not ridiculous like the tilton Shipping weight is 13lbs.
Is the price difference worth the couple pounds?

I paid about 20 dollars to have the crank pulley installed.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:47 AM
karlhungus

Originally posted by phile

I had the dealer install the whole set on my G35 sedan. $310 to do them all, but I just dont have the time and wanted a mod like this to have a workmanship warantee. The mod is very good and have had no problems. Like others have said, the gain is felt and is a broad torquey gain from idle on up. Not peaky or powerband gains like intakes give. I took my CAI off and was amazed at the difference in low end torque. I'm back to stock intake other than a K/N panel filter. CAI's are a waste in my opinion. Mostly top end gains, but who drives around at 5K all day? I also have the Stillen X-Pipe cat-back and that is definitely a torque gain and overall a kick-*** system. Looking at getting the Kinetix plenum after they work the bugs out. Hopefully they make a G35 version without the strut bar dent in it.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:23 AM
phile

Originally posted by karlhungus
I had the dealer install the whole set on my G35 sedan. $310 to do them all, but I just dont have the time and wanted a mod like this to have a workmanship warantee. The mod is very good and have had no problems. Like others have said, the gain is felt and is a broad torquey gain from idle on up. Not peaky or powerband gains like intakes give. I took my CAI off and was amazed at the difference in low end torque. I'm back to stock intake other than a K/N panel filter. CAI's are a waste in my opinion. Mostly top end gains, but who drives around at 5K all day? I also have the Stillen X-Pipe cat-back and that is definitely a torque gain and overall a kick-*** system. Looking at getting the Kinetix plenum after they work the bugs out. Hopefully they make a G35 version without the strut bar dent in it.
WOW! $310..That's alot given FLy By's was only 20 bucks. Obviously his was only one piece, but I wouldn't figure it would yield that big of a difference!

Oh, FLy By: I didn't notice the price difference. Actually I don't know the price of the JWT either. I'm debating wether it's even worth it at all to get such a light clutch, because I do ALOT of back-and-forth driving in my Z during the summer. I just mentioned it in passing for other people's benefit, since I noticed it on the website. Personally I wouldn't go with anything lighter than JWT's. Do you think JWT is still ok for alot of back-and-forth driving around a small city (with only 30 mph speed limits!!!)?
Old 02-14-2004, 10:11 AM
FLY BY Z

Def. the JWT is great for everyday driving. It is light enough to make a difference but not so light that it compromises streetablility. I love mine. I think the UR pulley is a couple hundred more than the JWT. I am too lazy right now to search for links.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:17 AM
phile

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
Def. the JWT is great for everyday driving. It is light enough to make a difference but not so light that it compromises streetablility. I love mine. I think the UR pulley is a couple hundred more than the JWT. I am too lazy right now to search for links.
Awesome! JWT is going on my mod list then.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:03 AM
FLY BY Z

Oops, I meant UR flywheel, not UR pulley.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:24 AM
chazzg

I Payed $125 to have all 3 pulleys installed at a local Speed shop. The Alternator Pulley install requires the removal of the Alternator . That is the hardest one. The other two pulleys only took about 30 mins to install. total install time about 2 hours
Old 02-14-2004, 03:45 PM
EL Diablo

When I called Performance Today to make
an appointment for my Pully/Cats install
for next week I asked any chance to have
them done today?
And they said... Come on down. So now I've
got those mods on my car. hehe

You can feel the difference all the way!

Couldnt see any diff when I had my exhaust
or CAI added. Pullies and Cats and DAMN!
Thanks god cuz I was getting worried I'd
never get my Z quicker. It pulls harder now.
I am happy for now.

I recommend the Crank Pully as well.

Thnx Everyone at Performance, and Jason
for helping pass the time.

Quick Reply: My Unorthodox pulley review