Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Removed A/C

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:25 PM
BlueSpeakers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed A/C

So a few weeks ago I removed my A/C entirely, like condenser, compressor, and all the lines. Would that cause a check engine light? and would my heat be useless now? Just an FYI the car isn't mobile so I cant go have the light checked, just curious if anyone has any info. thanks.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:17 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

If there are any sensors attached to the AC system I am sure it is possible. Do you not have a code reader? You can get ELM237 reader for ~$20.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:51 AM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You Wana sell me the ac line?
Old 02-27-2016, 01:02 PM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had my AC completely removed for more than a year. It has never thrown any sort of CEL light. All of the sensors and pigtails are just taped up and I have never had any issues.

And yes your heat will still work as before, however the defrost will no longer run the AC to dehumidify the air.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:59 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

What did you need to do to ditch the AC?

I'm about the change the belts and want to skip on AC because I have a convertible and the AC rad is busted out. Save on parts and head ache just removing it but someone said Id need to buy a adapter pully to keep the timing and tenstion on for where the AC belt goes.

What did you guys have to remove to make this happen?
Old 02-27-2016, 04:32 PM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CK_32
What did you need to do to ditch the AC?

I'm about the change the belts and want to skip on AC because I have a convertible and the AC rad is busted out. Save on parts and head ache just removing it but someone said Id need to buy a adapter pully to keep the timing and tenstion on for where the AC belt goes.

What did you guys have to remove to make this happen?
You definitely don't need to add any pulleys... and the serp belts have nothing to do with timing what so ever.

Depends if you have a HR or DE. On the DE just leave the 4 rib AC belt off and the AC is "deleted". The 6 rib belt that runs all the other accessories will work fine and you don't need to "add any pulleys".

The HR doesn't look that hard, just requires a shorter belt? Don't quote me on this, I've never ACTUALLY done it on a HR... but theres photos of them on google image search.

In order to fully remove the whole system, you just need basic hand tools and a super cheap set of AC line disconnects (Unless you want to just cut the AC lines)
Old 02-27-2016, 04:36 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

I've got a DE. Yea that's what I thought it was too. Just don't install the AC belt. But a bunch of people were like no you need to add another belt cause it's part of timing and all this other stuff so I was like Huh I guess if all these "experts" say so.

I'm going to try it. Like I said I have a drop top and my AC dad is gone so no use for it or buying all the parts for it.