Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone with RT/Borla Combination?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 04:43 PM
6MT Havok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with RT/Borla Combination?

I've seen that the RT/Stillen combination doesn't sound that great (no offense) due to the raspyness, as seen by the post with the vid. I also asked a guy with a G35 with the same combination, and same raspyness. Even said that his car sounds EXACTLY the same. But he also said that maybe it's just when the RT's are mated with the Stillen exhaust.

I've heard a sound clip of the RT's mated with a Nismo exhaust, and it wasn't raspy at all.

So basically my question boils down to does anyone own a Borla exhaust and have the R/T Cats? Is there ANY raspyness at all? I unfortunately ordered a set before all these posts came up, and it's on the way.

Also, If the RT's don't work out, Anyone with the Borla exhaust and the Kinetix/Crawford cats? How do they sound? Raspyness?

Regards,
Shawn
Old 02-14-2004, 05:03 PM
maserom

I recently installed the RT cats with my borla and took them off the next day. They destroyed the nice rumble of the exhaust. It sounded horrible between 3500-5000 RPM's. What a waste of time that was. I hear that Kinetix sound much better.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:17 PM
03 Z for ME

Default Re: Anyone with RT/Borla Combination?

Originally posted by 6MT Havok
So basically my question boils down to does anyone own a Borla exhaust and have the R/T Cats? Is there ANY raspyness at all? I unfortunately ordered a set before all these posts came up, and it's on the way.

Also, If the RT's don't work out, Anyone with the Borla exhaust and the Kinetix/Crawford cats? How do they sound? Raspyness?

Regards,
Shawn

I have the Borla with Kinetix cats. I LOVE the sound. it is NOT Raspy at all. It has a nice agressive rumble to it. I've had the Borla on first and it sounded nice. Now I added the Kinetix cats and after driving about 100 - 200 miles with them, they have developed a nice deep agressive tone to them. They are NOT loud, but they do sound agressive and MUCH better than stock.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:53 PM
6MTHavok

Thanks for the replies.

The cats get here Wednesday. I guess I'll try to sell them without even trying to install them. Hopefully I can make most of the money I paid back.

So does anyone else have a Borla exhaust and some form of HF cats? Opinions on your setup?

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 02-14-2004, 07:00 PM
jjellyneck

Originally posted by 6MTHavok
Thanks for the replies.

The cats get here Wednesday. I guess I'll try to sell them without even trying to install them. Hopefully I can make most of the money I paid back.

So does anyone else have a Borla exhaust and some form of HF cats? Opinions on your setup?

Thanks,
Shawn
I'm installing both the Borla exhaust and Kinetix cats this Friday. I'll let you know what I think.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:38 PM
03 Z for ME

Originally posted by jjellyneck
I'm installing both the Borla exhaust and Kinetix cats this Friday. I'll let you know what I think.

That's a GREAT combo. Don't be disappointed when you finish your install and immediately listen to it. Drive it around about 100 - 200 miles. The sound will get much better after you break in the exhaust!
Old 02-15-2004, 12:43 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Thumbs up Borla with Kinetix Cats

Here's me on a takeoff and also doing a flyby in 3rd or 4th gear. Can't imagine anything sounding better.

Takeoff
Flyby

Last edited by zxsaint; 02-15-2004 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:13 AM
jjellyneck

Originally posted by 03 Z for ME
That's a GREAT combo. Don't be disappointed when you finish your install and immediately listen to it. Drive it around about 100 - 200 miles. The sound will get much better after you break in the exhaust!
Thanks for the warning! I might have cramped up right away after starting it up and driving away--I'm definitely going to give it a couple of hundred miles before making up my mind on the performance gains. I hope also that the sound settles down over time and is not intrusive at all.

As a side note, I installed a Borla a couple of years ago on an Audi S4 twin turbo. The sound was a slightly lower rumble, a very slight drone at 2500 RPM and a definite performance increase--more performance increase than has been reported for our cars. most of that was probably due to opening up the turbo spinning, though not really sure.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:35 AM
blaque

Originally posted by maserom
I recently installed the RT cats with my borla and took them off the next day. They destroyed the nice rumble of the exhaust. It sounded horrible between 3500-5000 RPM's. What a waste of time that was. I hear that Kinetix sound much better.
Are you just revving the car or are you running. I don't know what you're hearing but at that rpm range from 1st-3rd and even while cruising, all I hear is a great Italian supercar sound imitation I wouldn't worry about how it sounds while its being revved at a standstill. Who does that anyway?

I would have to agree w/ ZXSaint. "...couldn't imagine anything sounding better." And the RTs added a little more muscle to it!
Old 02-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Wedge

I have the RT's with the Borla true dual and I (as well as my friends and family) think it sounds fantastic. I have heard some complaints about the fitment of the RT's in the past (little longer than stock, dropping the exhaust lower) but I never heard a complaint about the sound. Like they say (sort of) "Beauty is in the ear of the beholder"
Old 02-15-2004, 10:30 AM
pricanz

im getting the borla and the helix test pipesnext week, now Im wondering how loud is this going to be

NE1 out there with test pipes and borla combo?
would love to hear some sounds too
thanks-

Jose
Old 02-21-2004, 02:49 PM
NY 350Z

pricanz...i just got the helix pipes put on (stock exhaust) and it sounds like ****..very ricey above 3k...tell me how it sounds with the borla
Old 02-21-2004, 03:05 PM
jak

I have the Borla and I am installing the the Kinetix test pipes w/ resonators this weekend. I have one side done today and the other will be done tomorrow. That third nut on the manifold is a real BEAR. I can post a sound clip if you like.

Jeff
Old 02-21-2004, 03:26 PM
JeffR116

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Borla with Kinetix Cats

Originally posted by zxsaint
Here's me on a takeoff and also doing a flyby in 3rd or 4th gear. Can't imagine anything sounding better.

Takeoff
Flyby
Wow, that sounds awesome!

Do you have any in-car mp3s you can share?
Old 02-21-2004, 03:57 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

No in-car clips sorry, but I think those are useless anyway since the intake usually drowns out the exhaust sound from inside the car.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:06 PM
jjellyneck

Originally posted by 03 Z for ME
I just got both the Borla exhaust and the Kinetix cats installed yesterday late afternoon. I've driven about 30 miles with that setup so far. Here's what I've noticed:
1) Fairly louder at cold start (high idle), then it settled down to about the same amount of db at warm idle. During normal city driving with traffic it's about the same loudness. At RPMs lower than 2000 when you accelerate it's louder as well. At 4000 RPM with full or nearly full throttle it's definitely louder, though not really annoying or overly intrusive. No drone while cruising at any RPM. Overall it's more of a small V8 deep sound than anything else, and it's just a little bit lounder in the cabin. After about 20 miles it seemed to settle in a little bit and sounds just a little bit better. I think that it'll get better after a few more hundred miles.

2) Power at first seemed the same as before, but after 20 miles it is getting slightly more powerful. I notice that it doesn't lose power as I get past 5500 RPM (as with the stock setup). Again, it seems to be getting slightly better overall as I drive it.

Note: I did not do an ECU reset. The idle seems that same RPM as before. I'm just going to see how the ECU adapts in the next 200 miles or so. I have a G35 coupe, and the only other mods are the Z tube and grounding kit. I might add the Pop charger later, but not sure.

Overall--so far, so good!
Old 02-21-2004, 10:04 PM
NY 350Z

yes please post clips..i cant stand driving with that noise
Old 02-22-2004, 08:33 AM
6MTHavok

I got the RT cats installed yesterday. I'll make a sound vid of the combo next weekend.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:01 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Havok:
I have the Borla headers and catback, and the RT cats in between, on my G35 coupe, and it sounds great. Deep, mellow, and classic growl. At idle it sounds about the same as stock. Under WOT it is louder, deeper and just plain beautiful sounding.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:13 AM
TereP

ATI ProCharger + NISMO headers + RT cats + Borla dual = one evil sounding Z car.

It's a real head turner -- it's such a wicked beast at WOT! No raspiness -- just a very deep wicked growl.

Quick Reply: Anyone with RT/Borla Combination?