Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Extreme Oil Consumption- Still can't solve

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:17 AM
Mike Wait

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme Oil Consumption- Still can't solve

Hi, I have an 06 VQ35DE Rev-Up MT roadster and I've been going through an absolute nightmare trying to solve my oil consumption issue. Theres only 70,000 miles on the car and I'm going through about a quart every 250 miles!

At one point I was running an aftermarket exhaust and test pipes, however I took it off as a precaution incase in was causing any issues. I'm still running a cold air intake, but other than that it's stock.

Did a compression test and a leak down test and they were fine. (however from my understanding it still won't test the oil rings, only the compression rings)

Tried different oil weights and brands.. even tried non-synthetic for a couple miles as I'm desperate to solve this.

A few weeks ago, I figured I would get my valve replaced, as its a relative cheap job as apposed to the lower engine worked on. I took the gamble and unfortunately replacing the valve seals never fixed the issue.

Edit: I also tried a catch can, which never fixed the problem

Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm hesitant to get the block torn apart and start replacing parts as it will cost thousands. I've been having this issue for a while and I've talked to probably over 20 mechanics and every single one tells me something different.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by Mike Wait; 11-26-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:25 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

For one visit here lots of reading

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...iscussion.html

Then look at this

Old 11-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Mike Wait

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My apologies, I forgot to mention. I tried a catch can setup plumed the same as this one. I don't think the problem is crank case ventilation. Didn't make much of a difference so I ended up taking off the can to create less variables to diagnose the problem.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:52 PM
mignav01

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A qt every 250 miles is probably catastrophic ring failure. You have a few options, rebuilt your engine, buy a new built engine (IPP) or buy a used revue to replace it (roll of the dice). All depend on your needs for the car.
Edit - you can try thicker oil (weather permitting) to try and slow down burning. But not sure if it'll help much if your going thru it that fast..
Old 12-01-2016, 07:27 AM
SikkyMFG
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you may have a piston ring issue. Does the car smoke?