Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Left Bank Exh Cam "click" after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 06:25 AM
Chris Bobinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Bank Exh Cam "click" after rebuild

Hey everyone, new to the forum and the world of Japanese motors, but i like what I've seen so far! I'm putting the finishing touches on a complete rebuild of my friend's 2006 350z, manual transmission, and while rolling it over by hand I get a light "click" in the same engine position every time. I popped the valve cover and verified that it's not valve noise, and all lifter clearances are perfect. Sounds maybe like the exhaust cam internals coming off of zero sweep, then touching down again, if that makes sense? So i pulled the VCT cover and it definitely soundslike it's coming from the exhaust cam gear. I don't think it's secondary chain noise, the new tensioners are pretty tight as soon as you pull the pin. I don't think it's primary chain noise because it's happening on camshaft timing, not crank timing (half speed). I think it's probably ok, but after 4 months of painstakingly rebuilding this thing to factory tolerances I don't want any issues on start up! Looking forward to any advice, and hopefully driving her soon! I'll post a video of the sound in a second.

Got this far before discovering the click.
Sounds like it's coming from the exhaust sprocket assembly.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:34 AM
Chris Bobinger

Default Video of the click

https://vimeo.com/195103826
Old 12-11-2016, 09:37 AM
Chris Bobinger

Afternoon bump, anyone have any input?