Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Strange oil psi readings (at my wit's end)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 11:01 AM
Billlumburg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange oil psi readings (at my wit's end)

Hello everyone,
Im a long time lurker and this forum has helped me tremendously with many issues I've had.

2003 350z, 6mt, just hit 100k miles. Basic bolt on's.

PROBLEM
Well I took the car to get dinner for the family one night. Upon doing so I hit a rock about the size of a tennis ball. I did not have my under tray on at the time so yeah. Anyways soon after when I came up to my first stop light, my low oil light came on and my gauge read 0. At the same time the muilty digital gauge (sorry I do not know the proper name) was very dim and seemed to lag. I pulled over as soon as this happened turned the car off let it sit a d fired it up. Right after doing so the guage read fine and I was getting proper psi readings. However when ever I stopped at a read light the psi would drop normal hover over 0 then drop down, and my oil light would come on. I would like to mention that this does not happen right away or at the first stop I take. I can drive the car around for a few and everything is fine, the oil light seemse to come on when ever it wants, but it only ever comes on when I stop. I have perfect readings while driving, the light only comes on when I stop. If I just start the car and not drive it I have perfect oil psi even through out reving it aggressively while idling.

I've changed the OPS already, ran a machinacal gauge ( everything was fine). Dropped the pan no shavings. After I changed the OPS the digital gauge went back to normal. The only thing I can think of is maybe a bad oil galley gasket? I'm getting all my parts in order to replace the whole timing chain assemble, due to it being recommend to replace at 100k. I already have the oil galley gasket ready to go in. Does this sound like an oil galley issue? I would hate to pay to have it swapped out and that not be the issue.

Thank you.

Last edited by Billlumburg; 12-24-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:16 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

https://conceptzperformance.com/czp-...kt_p_26069.php

Very possible, I would ping I8acobra for exact symptoms. He is a Nissan Tech that has changed many of these
Old 12-26-2016, 08:16 AM
Billlumburg

Will do thank you.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:14 PM
SikkyMFG
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You said you hooked up a mechanical gauge.

What were the readings you got?
Old 12-30-2016, 06:49 AM
Billlumburg

Idle 16-18 psi, 2k 20-22, 3k 40, 3.5k 50 and up there after. At higher rpm it would not go over 65 psi. I ran into some one on the Facebook 350z group, they had the same issue and went up to 10/40. He said that it stopped the light from coming on when he came to a stop but the reading was still low on the guage. I'm going to switch over today and see how it does.

Last edited by Billlumburg; 12-30-2016 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:41 AM
SikkyMFG
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there any damage to your oil pan? You could have dented it causing the pickup tube to have insufficient flow.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:06 PM
Billlumburg

Oil pan is good, just changed over to 10/40 and was able to drive a lot longer with out the light coming on. I think my idle is to low, when the light did come on I turned the AC on it it bumped my idle up and the light went away. This is my idle with out the AC on, is this to low?
Old 12-31-2016, 04:41 AM
35reilly

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Idk. I try not to get into back and forth with everyone on forums,but have you looked at the actual sensor itself? It's right in the front of pan passanger side. Rock, no under gray, idk could have kicked up and damage the sensor itself. I just had a issue where it was tight enough and was reading wrong during idle do to pressure I guess but when you gave it gas the psi came up. Idk check that. See what's going on down there. Are you leaking oil? Our pans won't dent they will crack so check for oil leak and oil level. Good luck. Oil psi is scary. I had a oil issue that cause a head issue with cams spinning in the journals.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:25 AM
Billlumburg

I replaced the oil psi sensor, ive checked everything underneath and it's dry. I've been told by two different Z owners locally that it's the oil galley gasket. I guess I'll just take it to Nissan to have it checked.