Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Intermittent runaway idle, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:05 PM
joeb1983

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intermittent runaway idle, please help.

For a while now I have been chasing a runaway idle and hang throttle.

I do not drive the car very often. When the weather is nice, but basically and mainly, it is a garage queen.

I posted long ago on this forum as well as others and got a lot of response of people stating they had a similar issue or PM's asking if I found the issue, but nothing solid.

I have not, and as the title states, I have a run away idle and hanging throttle.

I never popped a code or light up until recently for P0507 "Idle higher than expected".

It does not surge or seek, just sticks and or slowly increases, sometimes to redline...

Driving normally, put in the clutch off the gas and on the brake to stop at a light, the throttle hangs at whatever RPM you where cruising at and sometime slowly increases like I said.

Before you say intake leak, I have looked and looked more than you could imagine. Carb cleaner trick, replaced any suspect lines, capped, pinched, tightened, you name it. Nothing, and like I said, its not all the time.

The strangest thing is, if I pull up on the accelerator pedal with the top of my foot, bending the armature, the RPM's drop...

So, I performed the accelerator pedal position relearn. When I think its fixed, it does it again.

Given the above, I figured it was a bad pedal sensor, so I replaced it with a used pedal and performed all the resets/relearns. All seemed well for a few, but again, hardly drive the thing.

Well, its doing it again and here I am posting another thread in hopes of some guidance.

Tonight, while it was hanging at 2.5k in the driveway, I went under the dash and wiggled the connector on the pedal... The RPM's increased and dropped.

Thinking I had a a broken wire or recessed pin, I pulled the connector, removed the wrap and inspected.

I did not see anything obvious, so I reconnected and started the car.

It was now at 4k, so I lift up of the pedal with my foot and RPM's drop to about 900, let off and back to around 4k it went.

Push the bracket/tab the sensor is mounted to on the pedal assembly towards the driver side, RPM's increase, push towards the passenger side, RPM's increase.

Looking at the sensor while bending left and right the sensor rotates very slightly. Pulling up on the pedal as well rotated the armature slightly as well.

Bad pedal again?..

The pedal was used after all, but same exact situation as the other? The sensors is indexed and the screws are marked in the mount.

Its been so long, I dont have a clue where the original pedal assembly is at, and I removed the sensor as well.

Do you think something is possibly burning up the sensor? Maybe it was never really "fixed" in the first place...

Is it safe to assume I have at least isolated the problem?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Info:

2006 G35 coupe
Boosted (Vortech tuner kit)
ID725's
Walbro
UpRev GT MAF
Motordyne MREV2 w/ spacer
Stillen headers, Z1 test pipes, Borla cat back.
HKS ignition amp
UpRev tuned
(Koyo radiator, Stillen oil pan, DIY oil cooler (Mocal and Earls), AGP baffled oil catch can and custom blower intake with AN bung and fitting for PCV).
Attached Thumbnails Intermittent runaway idle, please help.-engine.jpg   Intermittent runaway idle, please help.-car.jpg  
Attached Images