Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

5at transmission upgrades help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 AM
NG15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5at transmission upgrades help.

Hey everyone i am in process of upgrading my transmission. I am boosted but am running low until i get the appropriate upgrades regarding the transmission. I have already ordered a transgo kit and am curious if it is worth the money to buy one of the 300$ transmission coolers over one of the cheaper ones. Also i have read up on torque converters but some say it is to much if you drive your z a lot(i do not track or autocross). Is there any other upgrades you guys would recommend before i go back for a retune. Any input back would be great.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 AM
JaE35z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a big cooler and don't cheap out...if you upgrade the torque converter you'll also need to upgrade the clutch packs, add on transgo with that and your ready for some power
Old 08-28-2012, 09:01 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you be more specific about your FI setup? What kit? How much power are you currently making and what are your future power goals?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I would just call it good with a transgo kit and cooler. I've been driving around with a small cooler for a few years now. I would like to someday upgrade the torque convertor and clutch packs, but I have no need for it atm...
Old 08-28-2012, 10:32 AM
kloudak47

Like Rude said what are your goals?

Definitely buy a good cooler, get a VB upgrade and I'd get a temp gauge so you can see what temp your ATF is operating under load. You can also get a PML transmission pan to help with heat dissipation.

If you go cheap on properly supporting the automatic you will find yourself needing 4-6K to rebuild the sucker (or swap to a MT) sooner rather than later.

Also, get into the habit of being **** about your ATF fluid. Check it often, especially after the trans go kit gets put in. You will also want to change it more frequently based on how hot it runs.

good luck...
Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM
silvertouringz

i have the HAYDEN TRANSAVER cooler and i am very happy with it
Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 AM
NG15

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Can you be more specific about your FI setup? What kit? How much power are you currently making and what are your future power goals?
i am currently running the momentum kit on 4 pounds putting down low 300's i want to be around 350-360whp.

Some of you guys are saying clutch packs. What company would you recommend cause i know there is one up right now in the marketplace but could not find much about it. Also i heard that the stock torque converter is fine unless i track etc or is this false? what size transmission cooler would you guys recommend?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by NG15
i am currently running the momentum kit on 4 pounds putting down low 300's i want to be around 350-360whp.

Some of you guys are saying clutch packs. What company would you recommend cause i know there is one up right now in the marketplace but could not find much about it. Also i heard that the stock torque converter is fine unless i track etc or is this false? what size transmission cooler would you guys recommend?
If you're boosted with a 5AT and running torque #'s in excess of a stock Nissan Titan pickup... it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN the stock clutch packs will wear out. Turbo kits wear them out quicker due to the higher torque output versus the lower and more linear torque output of most supercharger kits.

Intense recently had a customer who had the PL kit with about 350whp and his stock trans didn't last long before it started slipping. He didn't follow through on his stated intentions to buy my fully built trans, so it's still available. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 08-28-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:25 PM
omarv96Z

Originally Posted by JaE35z
Buy a big cooler and don't cheap out...if you upgrade the torque converter you'll also need to upgrade the clutch packs, add on transgo with that and your ready for some power
Hey I'm sort of a noob at cars still and I was wondering what you meant by big cooler?
Old 12-13-2016, 09:03 PM
06platinumG

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If your looking for a good cooler check this one out. It should do what you need

https://www.bowlertransmissions.com/...eme-dual-slim/

As far as any other upgrades talk to IPT

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...sion-4379.html
Old 09-07-2017, 06:30 PM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

and a year later...so the transmission fluid in the stock configuration runs through it's own cooler built into the radiator. Is there a thermostatic control in the stock setup?
I've read people running a cooler inline w/the stock setup & others that have completely bypassed oem & gone with a large cooler w/thermostatic temp. control. Either way, they often mention a thermostatic control which would make sense if they've completely bypassed the oem setup. It would make sense to run a small cooler inline with the existing setup, assuming there's a thermostatic control already present in the system but not to then add another thermo. temp. control. Any informed/experienced opinions?

Last edited by onevq35de; 09-07-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:32 PM
06platinumG

The stock cooler is part of your radiator which has a thermostat, if you bypass the stock set up you will lose that as there is not one just for the transmission.

I would run a separate cooler with a fan. You can set it up to run all the time or on a thermostat.

Also if you run your car hard I would get a PLM pan, it adds a quart to your system and also helps with cooling.

Check out the links

https://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11091.php

http://derale.com/products/fluid-coo...3-271226240719

Good luck, I have both and track my car and have no issues
The following users liked this post:
onevq35de (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 05:05 AM
onevq35de

So there is a stock thermostat. Where is it located? Suppose I could hunt it down in the fsm. I'd like to add a sufficiently sized cooler (B&M small) and put it right in front of the oem trans cooler, that way the oem fans can pull for both & I'm not adding more weight & b.s. than is necessary. It's a dd & I'm no hp crack addict like some of the guys out there. Got a reprogramming kit in the v.b. so far.

Last edited by onevq35de; 09-08-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:37 PM
06platinumG

No, there is no thermostat for the trans cooler. Your stock trans cooler is built into the radiator and the radiator has a thermostat/fan. If you use a separate cooler for your transmission you will need to add one.

I track my car which is stock with bolt on's, so not high horse power and the first time at the track it overheated in 10 mins. I added a cooler and it was much better but would still overheat after a few 20 min runs. I added a fan an now have no issues and have run as long as an hour
Old 09-08-2017, 07:08 PM
onevq35de

"The stock cooler is part of your radiator which has a thermostat, if you bypass the stock set up you will lose that as there is not one just for the transmission."
Hmm... I didn't read this too well, did I? I understand. The transmission might then have a temp. sensor and it switches on or off, depending on the trans fluid temps &/or radiator fluid temps to keep the trans fluid in it's preferred range? No, there's nothing that opens/closes the fluid to the cooler that I'm aware of, & if that's the case, then just how important is a thermostatic control if a cooler is added inline?
I understand if I bypass the oem system then one is necessary but if I run it inline, I'm still on the fence about needing one but I suppose it can't hurt? Not trying to cheap out. I'm more of a "less is more" sum-*****, less to go wrong & more time to enjoy.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:16 PM
06platinumG

The only thing you need a thermostat for is to turn on the fan. Your transmission is constantly pumping fluid through the cooler, you have to have a cooler.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:44 AM
onevq35de

High-Flow Transmission Fluid Thermostat, 165F

[Part # FSM-165]

In stock.
Ships same business day if ordered by 12:00PM EST.
30-day money back guarantee.
1 2 3 4 5 5.0 READ 2 REVIEWS

$169.00
"Improved Racing's Flow Series Motorsport (FSM) oil thermostat is a universal solution that can be used with any oil cooler on any vehicle or industrial application.
The device's unique patent-pending internal design ensures a low pressure drop by placing the bypass valve mechanism completely out of the primary oil flow. This arrangement also allows for a compact design.
High performance vehicles require large oil coolers to ensure that the oil does not overheat during strenuous use. These coolers also introduce the danger of over-cooling the oil and delaying engine warm-up, resulting in horsepower loss, excessive engine wear and reduced gas mileage. Oil thermostats perform the critical function of bypassing the oil cooler until the oil has reached its minimum operating temperature.
This thermostat is designed for use with transmission and differential coolers and maintains a minimum temperature of 165°F (74°C) +/- 2°F exiting the transmission or differential in most conditions. It features female -10AN O-ring boss threads and is available with optional fittings in 3/8" or 1/2'' hose barb or AN fittings in -06AN, -08AN, -10AN, or -12AN. The included brackets allow for multiple mounting options."

"Derale 35021
Premium In-Line Fan Control Thermostat 180° On/165° Off"

We're talking about two different things here. Your referring to the fan control like the Derale 35021 & I'm referring to the trans. fluid thermostat @ the top. Cooling the radiator isn't a problem BUT over cooling it is. What I'm talking about will keep temps in a good operating range, not just cool the fluid *****-nilly.
I still believe running a cooler inline & in front of the oem trans cooler location is the way to go. Gonna make a couple calls Mon.