Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Question about exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 08:15 PM
Lega_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about exhaust

Hey all. I have the opportunity to buy a decent looking exhaust (probably a no name) for about $40 to test out. Problem is it was sawed off from the flange of the exhaust pipe back. Question is can I buy the piece that bolts to the y pipe or just cut off the old one and weld it on?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:48 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Lega_Z
Hey all. I have the opportunity to buy a decent looking exhaust (probably a no name) for about $40 to test out. Problem is it was sawed off from the flange of the exhaust pipe back. Question is can I buy the piece that bolts to the y pipe or just cut off the old one and weld it on?
When it comes to exhaust, you can do anything you want to make it fit including cutting and welding. Problem is, if you ever ante up for a real exhaust system, you're going to have to replace the entire system unless you want to hack n' tack that one too. Still no biggee but I don't believe in kludges.
The following users liked this post:
dkmura (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 07:42 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Good advice from Mic and it probably bears repeating: if you're looking for a power increase from this exhaust alone, forget it. It's been proven time and again, bolt-ons (either intake or exhaust) will not produce much more than a different tone. You may actually LOSE hp/tq with an exhaust that doesn't have enough backpressure. Rather than spend $40 on a no-name Craigslist exhaust, do more research and save up for the exhaust you REALLY want and then tune the VQ to get some better gains.