Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Any way to raise idle rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:57 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Unplug a hose in the intake and the idle will drop/car might stall.

A leak can lean the mixture therefor reducing idle rpm's.

This only has happened after he took off the plenum/tb so it's the first thing that should have been checked

Last edited by iideadeyeii; 11-08-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:58 PM
myGspot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Did you use a new plenum gasket?

Did you spray some sort of fluid around plenum/tb to check for leaks?
My gaskets were all good. no bends or anything. but that woudn't cause low oil light to come on. Some years back during plenum spacer install, it didnt seat all the way and had rough idle.

This time i had check engine light for high idle after TB cleaning. it was over 1,200 rpm even when warm. After reset it, no CEL and idle at 650 +/-
Old 11-08-2017, 03:16 PM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Definitely no correlation there. It's a simple system- the pressure switch ensures there is oil pressure at the pump outlet which means everything is kosher. Intake air leaks will cause sporadic idle but no loss in oil pressure-even if rpms drop well below idle setpoint at one point in it's sporadic cycle.

​​​​​You've already done a lot of troubleshooting on your own it sounds like, and that's a bummer.

Please verify one thing for me: check the oil level or verify that you ran the engine right after you added the 5 quarts of oil (hopefully after time to let the RTV dry, yikes). That way we know there wasn't/isn't a large oil leak that you are overlooking. Also verify that the oil level is consistent from day to day.

Pressure switch you replaced it with was OEM?

Also what year is the G35? At/mt? Odometer mileage?

DE engines are pretty much rock solid when it comes to this issue in particular, but the revups have a gasket that can fail in the timing cover. If it fails it allows oil to bypass the galleys which takes up all of the pump flow, resulting in pressure drop. Typically this is accompanied by sounds from the top end of the engine though, either from the valves or vtc solenoid valve spools slapping around internally. I believe those guys also get a CEL from it, related to vtc timing.

Last edited by yosip1115; 11-08-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:12 PM
myGspot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YOSIP1115 - I might have not been clear, but initially when oil light went on, i did swap oil first and then after a few weeks swapped sensor with OEM from infiniti. Neither of those issue did fix the oil light.

I removed the pan 2 weeks ago to check the oil pick up as was told that may have been clogged. At the current moment i have not put the oil pan back on as i have been traveling for work lately. I am putting the pan on this weekend and using felpro gasket and not the RTV. I am going to keep an eye for oil leaking obviously after i put back the oil.
--Side question anyone has any word on if FelPro gaskets are good for oil pan or if the RTV is a better way to go?

CAR - 2005 G35, 5AT with about 123,000 on it. I am original owner.

As long as there are no leaks post install, I am going to attempt to put some miles on the car as stated by BEALLJK to see if the idle corrects itself. As i too thought it might need time to relearn

Prior to oil pan removal, i did not hear any noises/sounds like you mentioned with slapping or anything in valve covers or engine in general. I did read that it happens with the gasket on motors but obviously would need to rip apart the engine to look at it.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:34 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I'd go with Permatex Ultra black...I used it on my block reassembly a few years back and it's been solid since ... I followed the FSM to a T ... either are gonna work but I'd use RTV if it was me...

Put those miles on the car and see where you're at...otherwise, have a great veterans day weekend.

Everyone - go thank a vet!

Last edited by bealljk; 11-09-2017 at 07:36 PM.