Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Any way to raise idle rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 04:53 PM
myGspot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to raise idle rpms?

Wondering if there is a way to raise the idle on the car. I recently took off my plenum and TB to clean it all and after putting it back in had error codes. I cleared them out and did idle reset, not car idle was too low and sounds like it might stall in certain moments. No ECU light on or anything and i cant hear exhaust anymore. Prior to reset the idle was around 800-900 now its around 600.

Just trying to get it back to how it was.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:00 PM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

UpRev / cypher cable
The following users liked this post:
06platinumG (11-11-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 06:08 PM
myGspot

Originally Posted by jv350z
UpRev / cypher cable
how to do it on a stock ecu? My car always idled higher from day one when i got it in 05, but after the idle reset its low and cant even hear the idle drone of the exhaust
Old 11-06-2017, 07:24 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

if you just reset your ECU drive the car a few hundred miles to give the ECU a chance to relearn the fuel trims. It'll perk back up.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:06 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Keep a/c on
Old 11-07-2017, 07:24 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Uprev

I changed mine yesterday.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:29 AM
myGspot

I dont have UPREV, not really planning on getting it either. Just doing maintenance and wanted it back to how it was cause i think low idle triggering my low oil pressure light.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:36 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by myGspot
I dont have UPREV, not really planning on getting it either. Just doing maintenance and wanted it back to how it was cause i think low idle triggering my low oil pressure light.
Unlikely- the pressure switch is set to like 5PSI at the pump outlet. Very low

errr I was in G35 mode^. They have a pressure switch instead of a pressure transducer.

That being said I run 0w30 and my idle oil pressure is about 10 psi judging by the gauge- maybe a bit less and no low oil pressure light for me.

Last edited by yosip1115; 11-07-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:08 PM
myGspot

Well i was suspecting oil pump failure. My car has been sitting for about a year and a half. I have started it here and there to make sure battery isn't dead. But right after the ecu reset thats when oil light came on. I swapped oil and the sensor(oem) but light is still on when it idles. On start up when RPMs are around 1,100 its fine but minute it drops below 800 thats when the light comes on. Car sounds fine, no ticking on motor and recent drive didnt feel any different.
Only modification done to car was engine damper and oil catch can .... which would not trigger low oil pressure.
So if its not due to idle RPM, i am lost as to what it could be
Old 11-07-2017, 12:10 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Have you read all the other throttle body cleaning horror story threads?
Old 11-07-2017, 01:01 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If you have an android phone, you can do the following. Buy a bluetooth obd2 dongle from ebay/amazon. Buy and download the following program: Car Gauge Pro

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...GaugePro&hl=en

You can then adjust the idle with your phone, I believe around 250 rpm. Other things you can do include adjusting timing +/-2 degrees. I used this app to increase my idle to 1050 rpm.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The Z/G should idle no ac at 650 +/- 50rpms. (EC-73 in the FSM).
Edit: Are you actually having problems or is it just the sound? Perhaps you've fixed a long term problem and need to relearn the sound of idle?

Last edited by Freise; 11-07-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:15 AM
yosip1115

Originally Posted by Freise
Edit: Are you actually having problems or is it just the sound? Perhaps you've fixed a long term problem and need to relearn the sound of idle?
But he says his oil light is coming on.

OP what's your oil pressure gauge looking like at idle and if you bring the RPM's up a bit? (If safe to do so)
Old 11-08-2017, 06:31 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by yosip1115

OP what's your oil pressure gauge looking like at idle and if you bring the RPM's up a bit? (If safe to do so)
if my oil light comes on, I check my oil level ... not re-calibrate my idle speed ... OEM spec for oil pressure at idle/no load is like 14psi...almost nothing

am I the only one that thinks the idle will correct itself after a few hundred miles of driving - based off the OP's TB cleaning/ECU reset?
Old 11-08-2017, 06:49 AM
yosip1115

Originally Posted by bealljk
if my oil light comes on, I check my oil level ... not re-calibrate my idle speed ... OEM spec for oil pressure at idle/no load is like 14psi...almost nothing

am I the only one that thinks the idle will correct itself after a few hundred miles of driving - based off the OP's TB cleaning/ECU reset?
I agree there, the only time I've ever seen that light come on was when I was 17 and didn't know to check my oil as frequently as we have to. Even then it was only on for a split second when turning a corner in a parking lot. But OP said he changed the sensor, so I would ASSUME he topped off the oil too at that time

A low idle is not a problem... It is a good thing, it means your engine is healthy overall and is capable of running smooth/consistent at a low RPM. This means no intake leaks, good compression, etc.

Fix the problem at the source, don't band-aid it by raising idle RPM's is what I would suggest
Old 11-08-2017, 10:23 AM
myGspot

I dont have a gauge as its a G35. I was thinking off taking off the oil sensor and putting in the a temp oil pressure gauge to monitor it.

Originally Posted by Freise
Its not about the sound. Just thought low idle could be spinning oil pump less and giving off low pressure signal.
Originally Posted by zakmartin
Have you read all the other throttle body cleaning horror story threads?
I have not. I am guessing there are a lot.

I have a G35... so no OIL PRESSURE gauge. For me it means either oil is low or low pressure.

I did change oil and did fill 5 qrts. I also changed the sensor as i know they tend to fail. Those 2 things did not resolve the issue.

When car is just turned on ... idle is above 1,000 and obviously its cold. So rpm will be higher. When it warms up... rpm drop to 650 or less and thats when the light goes on. When i blip the throttle a bit i cant get it to like 900 but it goes close to 1k rpm and light goes off.

As i mentioned its not about the sound as to why i am trying to increase it. I had my car since brand new 2005 and it always idled at around 800/900. The exhaust note could be heard all the time even at idle when hot. Now its pretty much silent. Which is one of the reasons i THOUGHT (i could be wrong) that it may be rpm idle related.

The engine does sound normal and pulls. no other bad sounds are heard.

Last edited by myGspot; 11-08-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:27 AM
myGspot

Originally Posted by bealljk

I have not put much miles on the car since the issue started / idle reset. I will try to log some miles on the car to see if it will correct itself. However... my fear is what if its somewhere internal and i am doing more damage driving it.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:31 AM
myGspot

A low idle is not a problem... It is a good thing, it means your engine is healthy overall and is capable of running smooth/consistent at a low RPM. This means no intake leaks, good compression, etc.

Fix the problem at the source, don't band-aid it by raising idle RPM's is what I would suggest
If i knew where to look for the problem i would. Thats why i am hoping someone can shed some light on this issue.

I heard things from its my crank bearings to blown head gasket to piston rings. All those require taking out the motor and thats not something i would want to do time wise or financially. I already took off the oil pan to see if there was material in it or on the screen on the pick up .... but it all looks clean and no build up. Which is why this is confusing.

Didnt think that one day car is fine then next day oil light comes on and there goes a motor. When in fact it sounds completely normal.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:33 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Did you use a new plenum gasket?

Did you spray some sort of fluid around plenum/tb to check for leaks?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:54 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Did you use a new plenum gasket?

Did you spray some sort of fluid around plenum/tb to check for leaks?
Its smart to ask ...

wouldn't this cause an erratic idle versus a low idle?