Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Broken Crank Bolts (HELP!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:40 AM
tedzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm taking the motor to a guy who removes sheared bolts for SpaceX down in Gardena. An expert machinist pointed me his way after explaining that it is definitely a doable job, but if you want the absolute clostest to 100% success, you go to him. Whats 200 bucks to save me from a rebuild or swap right? (Might still be able to get those new matte black 2017 LMGT4's after all! )

He has some kind of . . . ray gun

You can see his work here:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hot-r...ng-broken-tap/
The following users liked this post:
Blurvision (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 09:06 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Interesting read on the EDM technology. It's no ray gun, but it sure can come in handy if you can bring the part in to his shop. Which brings me to my next question: how're you bringing your crank in if it's still in the engine?
Old 11-27-2017, 09:20 AM
tedzilla

He's got a huge rig that will hit the bolts with the crank still in motor.

Motor comes out of the car tomorrow and goes to his shop on Wednesday.

Ted
Old 11-27-2017, 10:04 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

what pain. I would jut put the car, all my parts on a flat bed. Settle up and leave that poor excuse of a shop.

glad you are getting it resolved. Just hate how that shop is going about this.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:50 AM
tedzilla

Yeah since leaving the East Coast I haven't been able to find my new favorite shop yet.

To their defense, if they get a car with previously undiscovered broken crank bolts and they don't have the best people/equipment to fix it, I don't see a ton of better alternatives. They thought they had a guy for it, but he flaked on us a couple times.

I think if they could extract those studs and get to the job at hand, they would have done it a month ago.

Now, there is one thing that I'm wondering about...
Old 11-27-2017, 10:56 AM
tedzilla

...if they really did 'find' 2 sheared bolts, and the job was to install a new clutch (NOT a new flywheel just clutch), zspeed slave relocation kit, master, front rotors and pads, why not just do the job as requested and slap it all back together, 2 bolts still broken and all?

Something about the mechanics I usually run into makes me think that this would have been the usual course of action. Then maybe let me know about the bolts? recommend a shop to fix them? Ok we installed A, B, and C as requested but you need to fix D.

I also have a SES light on due to a bad sensor, airbag light due to my jdm oem steering wheel (single stage resistor bypass came loose). They didn't say oh hey these things are bad we wont perform work until they're done.

I understand the bolts are driveline related so they probably don't want to be held accountable for driveline problems. Still has me curious though...
Old 11-27-2017, 01:30 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

i suspect that they broke them. They probably went to remove them in a circular pattern with an air gun and broke the last two.

Its not a hard job to do with the right drill bit and patience.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (11-27-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 06:46 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

I wouldn’t blame the shop doing the removal, it’s the shop doing the install that most likely screwed up.

Wish I had time last weekend, was down that way and could have easily knocked it out. I have experiance.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:04 AM
andybp

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Punch, drill(smaller and work up to larger hole), bolt extractor
had the same problem this is what I did came out no problem no damage
It's probably because no one wants to take responsibility if it goes wrong
Old 12-05-2017, 12:24 PM
GreyZ

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Im a bit surprised that this is being such an issue. A centering punch, a lefty carbide drill bit that is as large as possible( just a bit smaller than the ID of the threads) and a quality easy out should make easy work of this. especially with some penetrant on them before hand. A shop that requests a new motor over two sheared bolt heads should be completely ashamed of themselves. This should be like a 10 minute task with the appropriate tools.

Unless I am missing something.
The following 2 users liked this post by GreyZ:
Atreyu'z 350 (12-06-2017), iideadeyeii (12-05-2017)
Old 01-01-2018, 11:00 AM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

First of all, dont blame the shop.
Bolts were either on way too tight or were broken when installed. You cant incorrectly remove a bolt lol.

I had a similar issue this past summer. I had a friend install my clutch and got the car vibrating like a *****. We removed the tranny to put in a new Z1 flywheel and one of the bolts stripped. Then I saw 2 other bolts were cross threaded. Pretty much he installed them with air tools BEFORE threading them on with his hand.
I took it to 9K Racing in Whittier, CA and they were able to remove 3 broken bolts and retap the threads.
8 months later and NO issues. Wish I went there from the get go.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Originally Posted by DarkCreep
First of all, dont blame the shop.
Bolts were either on way too tight or were broken when installed. You cant incorrectly remove a bolt lol.

Yes..yes you can. When you can't even wrench on your own car how you gonna tell people stuff about it.

Tq'ing patterns for a reason. You need to break bolts loose in a similar pattern, especially in high tq circular patterns. The tq of each remaining bot will increase if you just start zipping bolts out completely with an air gun.