Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Sorry to bring up cooling again

Old 02-23-2018, 10:02 PM
frozennorth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry to bring up cooling again

Is it normal for the cooling system to be under a significant amount more of pressure when the heat is off vs when the heat is on.

When i turn my heat off pressure builds in the hoses . I can squeeze them but they are definitely tight. If i run the heat for even a few minutes it feels as if there is hardly any pressure in them at all.

I should mention, Im running the Mishimoto thermostat, radiator and hoses and the 1.3 bar Mishimoto cap.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:55 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

You should always be able to squeeze your hoses. They should never be under so much pressure it's rock hard.

But the reason could be because with the heat on it opens a secondary system which goes to the heat. But I would assume both on of off should be the same amount of pressure. You might have a blockage some where.

Maybe someone else can advise you better but I don't see why one would be under much more pressure.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:42 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by CK_32
You should always be able to squeeze your hoses. They should never be under so much pressure it's rock hard.
agree...your water pump will make ~10-12 psi of pressure in the cooling system and if you're hoses are significantly harder than what 10psi would feel like that means you have alternate sources of pressure ... i.e. leaking head gaskets...not saying your HG are leaking but prepare yourself