Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Idle issues!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 04:21 AM
PDose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

busy week haven't gotten on in awhile, You know the only thing I could think is if it somehow sent a surge through the system. But you did buy the car with the issue, you put a lot of trust in the seller to tell you the truth on whether it was a new or old problem.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:40 AM
Trades2much

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would like the info for the ECM repair guy you spoke of. He is able to make sure All outputs are functioning? I’ve seen several places that just do a reflash and send it out. Last night I changed the upper and lower intake gaskets, injector o-rings and throttle body gaskets....No change, tiny vacuum leak is gone but idle still surges and it still will not do a Idle air relearn with the NDIII software. I do have a faulty oil pressure sensor that’s reading pegged but I couldn’t see that being an issue. I have the new one and will change it this eve. Really getting frustrated with this car! I went with the previous owner to buy this car new and have done all the maintenance on it since it fell out of warranty so I know the history of the car. I actually drove it 3 weeks before the battery went dead and this all started..
Old 04-20-2018, 09:54 AM
PDose

Yea my mechanic uses him, apparently he can actually pull ecms' apart and replece pieces on them to get them functioning. I completely understand your frustratiuon, when I had the idle issue it drove me insane for about a month. I'll get the number and post it up when I get home from work today.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:26 PM
PDose

I meant to get this to you earlier, but I had to get the number from my mechanic again. His name is Joshua and his number is 720-538-6184. He's based in Arveda CO.
The following users liked this post:
pgs (12-31-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 02:23 PM
Trades2much

Default Update, new data.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:25 PM
Trades2much

Those were all key on engine off. When I change the a/f correction value to 75-80% the engine stops surging and idles, rough but no surge. Looks like O2 sensors and a Maf are in my future?
The following 2 users liked this post by Trades2much:
PDose (05-10-2018), pgs (12-31-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 12:47 PM
PDose

Did the 02 sensors and maf do it?
Old 05-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Trades2much

I just replaced the O2 sensors last night, MAF made no change but O2 data is now reading correct. Although it starts the Idle air relearn it will not complete it even after 20 min. This morn I attempted to drive the car to work as I have been and only made it a mile before the pedal went dead. After a short rest I restarted it and took off only to go 100’ and dead pedal, at that point I idled it home parked it and drive my truck to work. Also after changing my oil pressure sender now instead of the gauge pegged I get zero pressure and an oil light except this morn I noticed the light went off for a brief moment then the gouge read low pressure and went dead again with the light on. This happened 2 minutes before the dead pedal.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:35 PM
Trades2much

I did get a P0507 idle control system code which has never appeared before
Old 05-14-2018, 07:24 AM
PDose

Hmm I do know with that code it's supposed to go into limp mode. But a dead pedal? Maybe a dumb question but any chance you have an oil leak too? To be honest you are beyond my experience with the Z. We probably need a few of the older members to jump in here. I hope you get it figured out, and keep us posted.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 AM
Trades2much

no oil leak, it definitely has oil pressure but their must be a connection issue unless the new sender I got is faulty. It’s definitely in limp mode, had to limp all the way home lol!!
Old 11-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Chris Gonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trades2much
no oil leak, it definitely has oil pressure but their must be a connection issue unless the new sender I got is faulty. It’s definitely in limp mode, had to limp all the way home lol!!
check out oil pump, it can cause idle issues. Could of shorted out a wire to your ecu from a bad ground, motor wire hardnesse's. First i replaced fuel injector hardness, and motor wire harndness and I sent my ecu to to get repaired and then I installed it my self and then it was idling perfect
The following users liked this post:
pgs (12-31-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 01:37 AM
Trades2much

Where did you send your Ecu? I just got it back from a shop that had it 5 weeks and couldn’t figure it out... They didn’t charge me a dime but I have them a couple hundred just for the effort. Besides, it made me feel a little better about not figuring it out either...
Old 11-12-2018, 01:38 AM
Trades2much

I did send the ecu in to have it reflashed but they gave it back and said it had the latest update and couldn’t reflash it??
Old 09-23-2019, 01:55 AM
Connor Mullen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, did you ever get your car to work? My car has the same issue.

Brought my car to my girlfriends stepdad who was a mechanic for about a decade at Firestone. He did the oil gallery gasket for me. He also unplugged the throttle bodies to make the new gasket installed easier. In the time, my car unlearned the idle and wont relearn it. Nissan wanted to replace the throttle bodies, they did, but found out my car will do the idle relearn, but wont save it.

Just cleaned my throttle bodies and MAF sensors yesterday, but didnt try the procedure because I didnt feel like getting mad when it wouldnt work.

Anyway, just curious if you ever got yours to fix or what solved your issue.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:56 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Connor Mullen
OP, did you ever get your car to work? My car has the same issue.

Brought my car to my girlfriends stepdad who was a mechanic for about a decade at Firestone. He did the oil gallery gasket for me. He also unplugged the throttle bodies to make the new gasket installed easier. In the time, my car unlearned the idle and wont relearn it. Nissan wanted to replace the throttle bodies, they did, but found out my car will do the idle relearn, but wont save it.

Just cleaned my throttle bodies and MAF sensors yesterday, but didnt try the procedure because I didnt feel like getting mad when it wouldnt work.

Anyway, just curious if you ever got yours to fix or what solved your issue.
You can't do the idle relearn until your car is up to normal temps. Can you keep the car running until it gets to normal operating temps?
Old 09-24-2019, 04:45 PM
Connor Mullen

Originally Posted by Conway_160
You can't do the idle relearn until your car is up to normal temps. Can you keep the car running until it gets to normal operating temps?
Yes, car jumps to 2k and dips to around 900 rpm.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:54 PM
Conway_160

Have you tried to do the relearn once the car is at operating temperatures?
Old 09-24-2019, 05:26 PM
Connor Mullen

Originally Posted by Conway_160
Have you tried to do the relearn once the car is at operating temperatures?
Yes, Nissan even spent 4 days trying to do it. Said it was because of my aftermarket throttle bodies, but they were oem.

Told them to go ahead and replace, low and behold, it wasn't the throttle bodies. They came back it was a fried ECU, which is $1300 new. I bought a ECU from a junk car from Florida, havent put it in yet.

However, my car has a loud whistle when I rev it, so I believe there is a vacuum leak somewhere, just cant seem to find it. Maybe that is causing the issue.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:21 AM
Conway_160

Originally Posted by Connor Mullen
Yes, Nissan even spent 4 days trying to do it. Said it was because of my aftermarket throttle bodies, but they were oem.

Told them to go ahead and replace, low and behold, it wasn't the throttle bodies. They came back it was a fried ECU, which is $1300 new. I bought a ECU from a junk car from Florida, havent put it in yet.

However, my car has a loud whistle when I rev it, so I believe there is a vacuum leak somewhere, just cant seem to find it. Maybe that is causing the issue.
Do you have access to a fog machine or something that produces a decent amount of "safe" visible smoke? If so put it into your Intake with a little compressed air and look for the leaks.

If you do replace the ECU know you will have to disable NATS or reprogram it correct?

Quick Reply: Idle issues!!