Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Idle issues!!

Old 03-22-2018, 10:11 AM
Trades2much

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2007 350z Idle surging issues!!

so I just purchased a 07’ 350 enthusiast model. Previous owner had the battery go dead and changed it, now after starting the idle surges between 1-2500k. I knew that it would need a relearn so I bought the car. Tried an IAVL procedure at least 100 times with a stopwatch, I’ve reset the ECU, throttle vale relearn, swapped the throttle bodies etc. still the same thing every time, revs to 3k when cold then starts dropping to 2k and then up down up down blah blah blah! I had planned on a reflash but the Shop that does it thinks it won’t change it?? Any tricks, I know I’m not the only one who has had a Z that won’t telearn? Also, no codes set, all data appears to be in check except the throttle actuator voltage going up and down. Drives perfect other than idle, disconnect either throttle body while running and it idles perfect but after plugging back in no throttle response until that codes is cleared then instantly starts surging again. If I put it in gear and slip the clutch to lower idle then the voltage stabilizes? Please help before I dump the car I’ve wanted for years!

Last edited by Trades2much; 04-08-2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: wrong title
Old 03-22-2018, 10:23 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

check for vacuum leaks
Old 03-29-2018, 02:15 PM
Trades2much

Default Still won’t idle!!!

update, I had the ECU reflashed even though it had the most current update, I checked for vacuum leaks and smoked the manifold. I have tried at least 75 times now and still no change! WTH!!
Old 04-08-2018, 04:41 PM
Trades2much

come on, I know this has been an issue that has plagued many so please help before I sell this POS! I love the car but have tried everything known at least 10 times over and no difference. I see many have posted about this same issue then said its fixed without any definite solution. Please help!
Old 04-08-2018, 05:31 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Replace your Throttle Bodies..
Old 04-08-2018, 09:29 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

I’d check the plugs, injectors, coil pack, throttle body and all sensors.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:54 AM
Trades2much

Default What?

As I said in my original post I have changed the throttle bodies. I have monitored all pids and All are in check, plugs have 15k on them, no need to change coils as they are working. This car runs flawless short of the idle surging. Seems like people are just throwing parts at these and the problem fixes itself. I’ve read so many posts about the same issue and everyone is doing the same thing but no explanation of what realty fixed it.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Originally Posted by Trades2much
so I just purchased a 07’ 350 enthusiast model. Previous owner had the battery go dead and changed it, now after starting the idle surges between 1-2500k. I knew that it would need a relearn so I bought the car. Tried an IAVL procedure at least 100 times with a stopwatch, I’ve reset the ECU, throttle vale relearn, swapped the throttle bodies etc. still the same thing every time, revs to 3k when cold then starts dropping to 2k and then up down up down blah blah blah! I had planned on a reflash but the Shop that does it thinks it won’t change it?? Any tricks, I know I’m not the only one who has had a Z that won’t telearn? Also, no codes set, all data appears to be in check except the throttle actuator voltage going up and down. Drives perfect other than idle, disconnect either throttle body while running and it idles perfect but after plugging back in no throttle response until that codes is cleared then instantly starts surging again. If I put it in gear and slip the clutch to lower idle then the voltage stabilizes? Please help before I dump the car I’ve wanted for years!
Originally Posted by Trades2much
As I said in my original post I have changed the throttle bodies. I have monitored all pids and All are in check, plugs have 15k on them, no need to change coils as they are working. This car runs flawless short of the idle surging. Seems like people are just throwing parts at these and the problem fixes itself. I’ve read so many posts about the same issue and everyone is doing the same thing but no explanation of what realty fixed it.

No, you said you SWAPPED the throttle bodies. That's not the same as REPLACE. Or is that 'your' slang for replaced?
Old 04-09-2018, 08:43 AM
Trades2much

I replaced them with a set off a running car with 30 k, my throttle bodies worked on the other car
Old 04-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Atreyu'z 350

OK. Gotcha.. Did you try replacing your throttle control motor relay within the IPDM? Did you check the condition of the wiring and harness leading to the throttle bodies for exposed wires/shorts? Did you check behind, and within your IPDM for moisture/corrosion..
Old 04-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Trades2much

Yes I did check the wiring and all connections on both throttle bodies. Have not checked the ipdm since the car runs perfect other than the surge, idles perfect at 700ish when either or both TB’s are unplugged. As I mentioned before, the car had run flawless until it sat for a few months and the battery went dead, previous owner simply bought a new battery and installed then this started.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:42 AM
Atreyu'z 350

OK. Did you check that relay I mentioned? Try replacing it. It's cheap, so rule it out. Also, look at the IPDM anyway to rule that out. Look behind that relay and throughout for moisture/corrosion. It can still run perfectly and have a bit of moisture/corrosion in that sector of the IPDM, which will effect those subsystems.. I'm just throwing possible stuff out there for you to rule out.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:06 PM
Trades2much

Perfect! I will look this eve. This is the kind of info I’m looking for, I’ve been a mechanic for 30 years but don’t specialize in Nissan. This problem seems to stump many
Old 04-10-2018, 10:54 AM
Trades2much

So last night I checked the IPDM and all connections are clean, I swapped all the relays and still no change. I did find a very small vacuum leak near the center injector on the right bank. With the throttle bodies unplugged and the engine idling I saw a very small change in rpm with a shot of brake clean. I’m going to change all the orings and plenum gaskets evens though I don’t feel that small of a leak is my issue. I ordered the Bluetooth scan module and will download the Niss2 software to see if I can force a relearn.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Alright good. The IPDM is ruled out. Now you can focus on that small vacuum leak.. I'm still thinking that you just didn't perform that idle/air relearn correctly.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Trades2much

I had a hell of a time finding orings, had to get the through the dealer! I appreciate your concern about me not performing the relearn properly, I have been a mechanic by trade for 30 years so I’m no dummy when it comes to following instructions. I have performed the relearn so many times I have it memorized, all parameters were dead on and I used a stop watch. I have also tried multiple other combinations all with the same result.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:01 PM
PDose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had a similar issue when I cleaned my throttle bottles. I know dumb mistake..But the fix for my car was replacing the ecu cause I fried it. Nissan techs at the local dealership said blown cats would do it as well. After replacing my ecu, it started throwing codes for blown cats.. haha good excuse for getting HFCats
The following users liked this post:
pgs (12-21-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 07:34 PM
Trades2much

Default Update

So I just used the BAFX obdII interface and downloaded the NDSIII app which is amazing. Unfortunately I tried numerous times to perform the IAVL learn but it fails every time, also will not perform the Exhaist valve T/C learn. No codes and still all pids appear in check. So stumped!! Idles at 3k when started cold then after about 1minute it drops to 2k then starts surging between 1400-2000k
Old 04-12-2018, 03:06 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

i dont know why people are so opposed to just taking it to nissan for a proper diagnosis
Old 04-12-2018, 04:22 AM
PDose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I had the idle surge issue it wasn't throwing any codes, wouldn't do any relearns either. Not sure what the previous owner wold of done to fry the ecu, but its a possibility to consider.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idle issues!!