Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

300 RWHP no FI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 06:51 PM
phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by PhoenixINX
Dynojet, Tomei 268s, and the Crawford Package.
What's his whole setup? 304 rwhp, nice!
Old 02-23-2004, 07:07 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by phile
What's his whole setup? 304 rwhp, nice!
Crawford Plenum
Crawford Headers
Test Pipes
Stillen Exhaust (God it sounds like azz... Sorry Mike! )

Custom internals (Again, stick with stock CR and you'll be DAMN close)
Tomei 268s
JWT Flywheel
Old 02-23-2004, 07:50 PM
phile

hmm wonder how much it cost him in all..
Old 02-23-2004, 08:09 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by phile
hmm wonder how much it cost him in all..
His cost came in when he started in with all the forged internals and labor.

Otherwise the rest is what I would consider still reasonable for the power he is laying down.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:28 PM
hfm

Originally posted by PhoenixINX

Thanks for playing.
Can't even ask you to post the dyno location without some smart *** comment. Forget it.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:51 PM
AParshall04

There were a few posting on this about Buying all the NA mods and also the FI Mod. I agree that this is a good thing to do, but if you start NA and figure you will switch to FI after you are done with those mods you must be very careful. I am not sure if this applies to superchargers also, but from what i have read turbocharged cars need certain mods to run properly with top HP gains. For example, with a turbo charged Z you wouldn't want to buy the Injen SES exhaust becuase it has small piping. Most guys purchase a custom exhaust with about 3" piping all around to accomodate the extra flow of gases being expelled from the engine. I think the plenum could still be upgraded, but intake is a no, for s/c or turbo, they have their own intake systems. Also i believe that some of the turbo kits come with separate headers (please people, correct me if i am wrong). But other things like port & polish and such are awesome things to have with the FI setups to boost up the power and run those great 1/4 miles.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:53 AM
JPizzle

hmm...don't forget you can always do NA mods to get close to 300 rwhp and then throw on a 100 shot of n2o
Old 02-24-2004, 10:58 AM
z461

Originally posted by myinfinitig20
isnt it more like 35k for a Z
3k for riims
and 6k for a good supercharger properly tuned.
for...44k you get a sick sick car
total= mid to low 12second Z, with sick *** 19inch rims and wide *** tires. Outhandle almost any other car and it includes Nissan reliability w/ low insurance rates
I spent WAY too much on my Z...
37K fully loaded + 4K tax = 41K
2K in lojack, stoneguard, tint
3K in wheels/tires
2K in speed mods
3K for body kit + install
3K for stereo

What do we have? 54K dollars, enough to get me a decently loaded M3 Coupe WITH tax included. **** man, i'd take an M3 any day... Ehh, anyone wanna buy my Z? LOL
Old 02-24-2004, 12:30 PM
dogashes

Originally posted by AParshall04
There were a few posting on this about Buying all the NA mods and also the FI Mod. I agree that this is a good thing to do, but if you start NA and figure you will switch to FI after you are done with those mods you must be very careful. I am not sure if this applies to superchargers also, but from what i have read turbocharged cars need certain mods to run properly with top HP gains. For example, with a turbo charged Z you wouldn't want to buy the Injen SES exhaust becuase it has small piping. Most guys purchase a custom exhaust with about 3" piping all around to accomodate the extra flow of gases being expelled from the engine. I think the plenum could still be upgraded, but intake is a no, for s/c or turbo, they have their own intake systems. Also i believe that some of the turbo kits come with separate headers (please people, correct me if i am wrong). But other things like port & polish and such are awesome things to have with the FI setups to boost up the power and run those great 1/4 miles.
High compression pistons = waste of money with FI. In fact most guys LOWER the compression when going turbo or sc. Some guys say to leave the high compression because the engine is stronger when not under boost, but raising the compression is a waste of money.

High lift/duration cams = also a waste of money with FI. Since the A/F mixture is already under pressure it doesn't matter that much if the valves are open a little mor or a little longer. I had a vtec honda with a supercharger. Before I had the blower there was a real boost at the VTEC crossover point where the bigger cam lobes kicked in. With the blower there was not any real difference. In fact high performance cams often have more overlap which will actually DECREASE the efficiency of FI.

Intake manifold = the roots type sc usually have the blower built on to a custom manifold.

Headers = the turbo is built in as part of the header/exhaust system.

So if you plan on going FI don't spend any money on these upgrades. And don't worry about making your engine stronger to handle the increased pressure. The stock vq35 should easily handle the boost of any of these kits desinged specifically for it. The engine damamge doesn't come from the increased pressure. It is usually caused by pre-ignition detonation. So spend all of your extra money on an engine managament system that will control the A/F ratio (add fuel) and pull back timing when under boost.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:55 PM
350trackz

I am at 280 rwhp (see my sig for mods) ... flywheel and pully soon ...

AND ... ONLY because I like to bust Chris's (Phoenix's) chops ...

mjedens has 10.5 compression (stock is 10.3) ...

Other than that, Chris is dead on. mjedens has a killer N/A and my goal to to catch him ... unfortunately, not much left for me to do !!!