Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 09:23 AM
Northern_Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and also a new 350z owner.

I've had the car a few weeks now and over the last couple days I've noticed the car is overheating, the first time I noticed it I was driving normally and the temp gauge rose quite high but then went back to normal a few seconds later, I didn't think too much of it until today when I was stuck in traffic for about 20 mins and I noticed the temp gauge went to the max in the red, luckily I wasn't going far so once I pulled up I opened the bonnet and found the coolant boiling over!

I've spoke to a local mechanic who said its usually the fans which have stopped working but I've checked them and they are spinning normally. I was thinking it might be a dodgy thermostat but didn't want to fork out £50 for a new one until I was sure.

Is this problem common on 350z's?

Any ideas guys/girls? TIA

Old 08-27-2019, 11:19 AM
masterjr33

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

fill it . bleed it.
no seriously bleed it.

you really did-int bleed it.. go bleed it. now go to youtube. and google. and do the bleed procedures.. again..

now start it and let it idle. see if both fans come on when hot. if they dont come on when hot replace fans.

If fans come on. and you actually bleed it. i would do a thermostat after that.

If you replace the thermostat and bleed it again and it still over heats you are down to #1 clogged radiator or #2 your fans are not working correctly and thats pretty common.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:17 PM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

Hmm.. seems to be pretty common for a lot of people lately. How many miles / what year is your car? Here's what I'd do, in this order:

Drain your cooling system and remove your thermostat. Boil a pot of water and drop the thermostat in. You should notice it open. If it doesn't, or it only opens partially. Replace it. Heck, replace it anyway. They're fairly inexpensive and it's best to do it now rather than later when you least expect it / everything is not already drained/apart.

Refill and bleed (seriously bleed like J33 said. These engines are extremely finicky when it comes to bleeding using standard methods. When you think you've bled it fully, bleed it more)

Check the radiator/hoses for any leaks while you are bleeding. If you live in an excessively hot location (i.e. Florida) the radiator tend to crack over time. (stupid plastic)

Spinning normally as in you can flick and spin them, or they actually turn on by themselves? If you are spinning them yourself, let the car warm up and make sure they actually kick on. I highly recommend you get an OBD scanner with live data capabilities. The fans should kick on low at 208*F and high at 212*F. If they don't then check your fuse and relay for them.

If the above do not correct the problem, then you most likely have a clogged radiator.