Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Borla vs. Stillen

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 10:12 PM
mesulli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla vs. Stillen

Borla and Stillen are the only true dual exhausts available correct? Didn't Greddy come out with one too? In your opinion, which exhaust is better? Also, which high flow cats sound the best with each exhaust? Sound files would be great.

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stillen if you were to choose between those two...

the stillen is made of 3 pieces, next to the borla 12 piece connector set...

injen also has a true dual,

the stillen sounds wicked with high flw cats... throaty and deep
Old 03-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Coz@CZP
Sponsor
Concept Z Performance

Borla or the New Injen Exhaust(when it becomes available), they are both great pics at a great price. The stillen is also a great exhaust, but a bit pricey.. so it's your decision, it's all about your taste.

Coz
Old 03-16-2004, 09:25 PM
PainProphet

Default Re: Borla vs. Stillen

Borla (car 2) = 8.2 Hp - 2.7 ft/lbs torque (peak values)
A top end system. Little HP increase until the 5600 rpm to 6500 rpm range. Lost HP & torque below 1800 rpm. 60mm (error actually 58mm). Weighs 52lbs. 1 million mile warranty. Installation - Hard (17 pieces)

Stillen (car 1) = 8.1 Hp - 7.3 ft/lbs torque (peak values)
Hp and torque increase starting at 3000 rpm to redline. Lost a little HP & torque below 1800 rpm. 60mm pipe. 74lbs - 10lbs heavier than the stock system. Lifetime Limited Warranty. Installation - Easy

Injen (car 1) = 7.6 Hp - 5.1 ft/lbs torque (peak values)
Small torque loss at 2800 rpm. Torque gain starts at 3300 rpm. Small Hp increase starts at 3300 rpm, max Hp from 5800 rpm to redline. Major loss in Hp and torque below 2200 rpm. 49lbs.
1 year Warranty. Installation - Easy

I think I made my point
Old 03-17-2004, 02:53 AM
fergraz

I love the sound of the Stillen. Borla and Nismo sound a little loud to my taste. The Stillen sound at idle a only a little loud than the OEM but rumble at full throttle with a noticeable power gain.
This is a link with a Stillen sound mpeg
http://www.zfilms.org/SportZMag/Dyn...lenExhaust.mpeg
Borla sound mpeg
http://www.zfilms.org/SportZMag/Dyno...laExhaust.mpeg
Attached Thumbnails Borla vs. Stillen-my350db8.jpg  

Last edited by fergraz; 03-17-2004 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:56 AM
fergraz

More recent picture
Attached Thumbnails Borla vs. Stillen-my350db5.jpg  
Old 03-17-2004, 07:31 AM
PainProphet

Originally posted by fergraz
I love the sound of the Stillen. Borla and Nismo sound a little loud to my taste. The Stillen sound at idle a only a little loud than the OEM but rumble at full throttle with a noticeable power gain.
This is a link with a Stillen sound mpeg
http://www.zfilms.org/SportZMag/Dyn...lenExhaust.mpeg
Borla sound mpeg
http://www.zfilms.org/SportZMag/Dyno...laExhaust.mpeg
sweet you have the same color Z I have with the same license plate cover I have on order and the same cat back exhaust I'm going to get. I'm going to get kinetix cats too more than likely. I couldn't get those links to work :/ but I'm at work and our internet blows here.
I know that the original Stillen catback dual exhaust is 10 pounds heavier than stock, is that the same with the dual wall (new) tips? When I look at pictures between the two, the new one looks more chromey or polished so to speak...

Last edited by PainProphet; 03-17-2004 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:18 AM
fergraz

Originally posted by PainProphet
sweet you have the same color Z I have with the same license plate cover I have on order and the same cat back exhaust I'm going to get. I'm going to get kinetix cats too more than likely. I couldn't get those links to work :/ but I'm at work and our internet blows here.
I know that the original Stillen catback dual exhaust is 10 pounds heavier than stock, is that the same with the dual wall (new) tips? When I look at pictures between the two, the new one looks more chromey or polished so to speak...
Maybe you need to install Quicktime in your PC to see the video clips. You can download it here
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
Old 03-17-2004, 08:24 AM
fergraz

Another picture
Attached Thumbnails Borla vs. Stillen-my350db3.jpg  
Old 03-17-2004, 08:40 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im biased, but Ill run you through what was my logic when I purchesed the injen SES.

first, by the looks of that test as you can see .6hp seperates first from last. torque has a larger margin.

so right then I decided HP wasnt the determining factor obviously.

go deeper, borla made .1 under stillen, .5 over injen, consists of 12-17peices(I really dont know, you see performance nissan say 12 and the test say 17, whatever), it had the least torque; and nearly no sound change, that was a negative for me, but could be a positive. subjectively Ive heard issues with leaking, less than perfect welds, and questions concerning its true dual status regaurding the muffler. its only redeeming quality other than .5hp over injen and lighter than stillen was its the cheapest.

stillen is the power leader, but marginally so, its closest contender in HP and torque was injen with a .6lead in hp and 2.2ft/lbs. sound is good, quality is excellent(from what Ive read). here its the winner, but then I look further, it costs 11-1200$ from where I looked, ignoring specials and deals, Im going general retail price. making it the most expensive by 3-400$. also its the heaviest, 25lbs heavier than injen. which IMO would offset the .6hp it gives.

injen well it has its down sides too, not the most HP possible, or the most torque, but as I mentioned before, no huge margins. it is the lightest, its second cheapest at about 100 more than borla. and it has the canister mufflers that look a bit ricey. the sound is dead sexy, there is no popping at any time, and its extremely throaty, not farty. If not installed correctly, it rattles on the cross member.

anyway, I chose Injen, so if you notice my arguement leaned that way, well obviously it did, as it won for me. I dont think I missed anything though, I think my points were all correct and fair, and the different exhausts have their points, if money were no object Id have given stillen more thought, if I wanted a quiet exhaust or stock appearance, injen would have been out of the running, and then by default, not wanting to spend 1200$ would leave me with borla.

Im not positive injen is the best exhaust possible, I think stillen is probably a better design as far as all around appearance and build, but the weight and price is just too high.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:17 AM
PainProphet

The stillen is supposed to be 10 pounds heavier than stock yes, but I plan on getting the kinetix hf cats, which are supposed to be 10 pounds lighter than the stock ones (please correct me if I am wrong). I'm also planning on getting headers a little further down the road, either Stillen or Nismo. From the little that I've read Nismo shows the best gains in that department, also I'm probably going to see if I can get the dealer to install them because I heard it was a PITA with our cars to install. Are the Nismo or Stillen headers any lighter/heavier than stock?

I was originally thinking about injen exhaust, and still am considering it, but I'm thinking it will be too loud/raspy with headers and hf cats (may be wrong about that as well) also I'm worried about not having enough back pressure with a setup like that. Correct me if you will, just be nice bahhahaahaha, I know the last couple things I said aren't really from experience or anything I've read, just a little scare I have in the back of my head...
Old 03-17-2004, 12:31 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I expected rasp with my injen, and got none. cats might change that, but you may want to go with resonated test pipes or high flow cats. I beleive any exhaust with test pipes will be raspy, its a characteristic of the part, not the exhaust. whether the exhaust amplifies it... I donno, but its possible.

I wouldnt look at it as stillen weighs 10lbs more and test pipes are 10lbs less, so it cancels out.

I look at it overall. you can even out, or you can have what is over all, and with injen and test pipes you are 25lbs lighter than stock, instead of even. the difference in weight between injen and stillen remains constant.

of course, 25lbs isnt the end of the world and the system isnt worthless, but it is a negative, and must be considered with the higher price tag and compared to the extra hp. it has redeeming qualities, it really comes down to budget.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!

Good points gentlemen. I have decided on the Stillen. I had been leaning toward the NISMO, but I wanted true dual exhaust leaving the options listed above. For me the Borla does not have enough sound change and the Injen has the aforementioned "canister mufflers that look a bit ricey".

So I have only one question about the Stillen do the dual wall tips still have the laser etched Stillen on them like the orginal tips?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Steel Heals

Default Hey all...

Newbie to this board here. Since I'm in the middle of the same quagmire, I thought I'd put in my 0.02...hope that's OK.

I personally wanted the car to sound mostly stock, perhaps a bit throatier, but definitely not ricey. I chose the Borla. But I also got DC Ceramic Headers and Kinetix Hi Flo cats. The headers arrived today, and the exhast and cats are in transit. I believe most of the gain in the Borla comes above 4K. I do not know about the headers or the cats, but suspect they will bring gains below 4K, so this should cancel out.

I also received my grounding kit, JWT Popcharger, and UR Pulley set today. The Kinetix plenum will be coming with the Hi Flo cats (package deal).

I'll be interested to see what the whole thing sounds like in the end.

BTW, unless you have a lift and a LOT of time, I understand a pro install is a must for the headers.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:00 PM
arizzee

I have the Stillen V1 and really enjoy the tone and performance increase. I noticed that the engine reved quicker after the install which I wasn't expecting.

Since I installed the exhaust myself with the car on jackstands, I noticed a detail I didn't give much thought beforehand. This exhaust uses U-clamps in three locations. Once you tighten the clamps, disconnecting the pipes at the clamp points can be very difficult. To get around this you can remove the mid-body cross member. I mention this because the Nismo, Injen & Greddy use only flanges which easily unbolt for maintenance.

Lastly, about the weight gain. This might be a concern for hardcore racers, but for me, the best way for me to drop the curb weight is to go on a diet. Secondly, I found that most of the added weight of the exhaust is in the dual muffler assy/section which sits behind the rear axle. Since this car is weight biased towards the front, I believe the added weight behind the rear axle actually improves traction and stability.

Just my thoughts on the topic. Take it for what its worth.