Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NISMO LSD vs. Stock Viscous LSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 08:33 AM
aalzuhair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NISMO LSD vs. Stock Viscous LSD

Hi all,

I just got a good bonus and of course it will go on the Z and I’m thinking of getting the NISMO LSD, but I do have the stock LSD.

So the question is, does the NISMO have an advantage over the stock LSD? If yes could you please describe the advantages?

Thanks,
Az
Old 03-20-2004, 09:29 AM
aalzuhair

any one any one
Old 03-20-2004, 09:58 AM
aalzuhair

I’m a really nice guy I swear
Old 03-20-2004, 11:22 AM
aalzuhair

I take it, that no one has the NISMO LSD
Old 03-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Blownaway

I have it installed and it is worth every penny... A little loud when going slow around corners, but holy crap does it put the power down. The nice thing about the Nismo LSD is it comes with everything, and is three way selectable. Hope that helps, had it out and in in less than two hours
Old 03-20-2004, 11:48 AM
aalzuhair

Originally posted by Blownaway
I have it installed and it is worth every penny... A little loud when going slow around corners, but holy crap does it put the power down. The nice thing about the Nismo LSD is it comes with everything, and is three way selectable. Hope that helps, had it out and in in less than two hours
Thank you for your input did you have the stock LSD before?
Old 03-20-2004, 02:35 PM
mofoz

is there really that big of a difference between the Nismo LSD and the Stocker? Is it better to go with another upgrade?
Old 03-20-2004, 03:26 PM
More Power

Default Re: NISMO LSD vs. Stock Viscous LSD

Originally posted by aalzuhair
Hi all,

I just got a good bonus and of course it will go on the Z and I’m thinking of getting the NISMO LSD, but I do have the stock LSD.

So the question is, does the NISMO have an advantage over the stock LSD? If yes could you please describe the advantages?

Thanks,
Az
This is hearsay as I only have my 350Z on factory order (April 2 ETA!!!! Oh boy), but below is the post of a guy I know on another forum. I intend to upgrade eventually to the NISMO LSD as well. He drag races his 350Z. Note that the additional traction of his running the Mickey Thompson ET street slicks probably makes the improvement with the NISMO LSD more obvious, i.e., the increased traction of the MTs makes it more likely you’d spin only one tire with the stock LSD compared to running the oem tires with the stock LSD. He had the stock LSD before upgrading to the NISMO and this post is his advice to me on the subject of drag racing our Zs. He is a nice guy and I’m sure he’d give you more details if you want to email him:

..... Another part you may want to get is a better LSD. We just installed the Nismo GT PRO LSD in my NA car and what a difference. The stock viscous lsd is crap and will still spin 1 tire until it heats up..... Either full slicks or the MT et's are the only way to go.....
Jason

The Nismo LSD made a huge difference on my car as well as the BFG Dr's but I was still spinning them at a 2800 rpms launch... Also, the stock clutch has been holding up pretty well.... We will be racing both cars this weekend so I will let you know how we make out... Feel free to email me and also check out my website if you have any questions or are looking for any parts. I can get almost everything...
Jason
www.racemrc.com
jason@racemrc.com

Last edited by More Power; 03-20-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:27 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Nismo unit will transfer 60/80/100% of the torque, depending on what setting you use, the OEM unit will only transfer a maximum of 30%. So yes, the Nismo LSD will benefit you in nearly every way, shape, and form.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:12 PM
AznIceRckt

Default Re: NISMO LSD vs. Stock Viscous LSD

Originally posted by aalzuhair
Hi all,

Thanks,
Az

aalzuhair:

wow... i'm surprised none of these Z-ers are responding. i drive a heavily modded g35, but same difference. first off, let me say that its kick *** that you live in saidi arabia and are rocking a twin turbo 350z, the z's and parts must be really expensive there.

the nismo lsd has several advantages. basically, anything in a car that is viscous SUCKS. viscous technology transfers power via 'plates' that are in a viscous fluid. an automatic transmission basically transfers power this way, by means of a slushy torque converter. this is one of the reasons a manual transmission is so much better then a automatic. a manual transfers power via clutch plates and gears, rather then in a viscous fluid that tends to not function well when really heated up.

similarly, the stock LSD in the 350z is viscous, and is not adjustable. inside the stock LSD, there are plates that never touch, but are seperated by a fluid. when one tire is slipping, the plates nearer that wheel transfer power to the wheel with more traction. however, when the fluid heats up, the LSD tends to function less efficiently.

now, the NISMO GT LSD is NOT viscous, and uses clutch plates instead. it is a completely different type of LSD, and a much better one. it is adjustable between 1.5 way slip and 2.0 way slip. 2.0 way slip gives you traditional LSD effects when accelerating, but provides more engine braking then the 1.5 way slip. Many magazines I have read suggest 1.5 way slip, and the lowest torque setting (I have no idea why). The nismo LSD is also adjustable between different torque settings, which the other guys covered well (conveniently because i'm still learning about this).

Especially since you are putting well over 300+whp, more like 400 whp with your TT setup, the stock viscous LSD will not hold up well. The Nismo LSD I believe is rebuildable as well, so it will hold up well over the years. It will also give you much better traction, and will take the extra power better. If your car is stick, adding a Nismo LSD will get any sort of slushy viscous connection out of your drivetrain.

Okay, so i'm still learning... anyone feel free to correct me if I was wrong, I'm sure I made some mistakes. =)

-Phil
Old 03-20-2004, 07:46 PM
More Power

What settings do you guys recommend for the NISMO LSD for drag racing the 350Z with the auto tranny. (I don't like auto trannys, but needed to get one becasue of a tendon injury in my left (clutch) ankle. I will be going to forced induction of around 450 hp at the crank after some break in miles. It will eventually be moded into a fully built racing auto tranny with a lot less slush than stock, though.)
Old 03-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by John
The Nismo unit will transfer 60/80/100% of the torque, depending on what setting you use, the OEM unit will only transfer a maximum of 30%. So yes, the Nismo LSD will benefit you in nearly every way, shape, and form.
How do you get a locking factor of 30% on a vls? The fluid lock's do to heat. Only way it unlocks is if it is sheared or you let off the gas. Or are you saying that the point that the fluid shearing happens equal's 30% of avaliable engine torque.

Where does the info come from that say's the oem vls has a 30% locking factor?

(Do understand, I have the VLS on my car, but I'm rather underwelmed by it. )
Old 03-21-2004, 04:04 AM
matt g.

i smoked my stock lsd in two track events. i know have the nismo lsd and it is great. but if your not sure you need one then i would not get one!!
Old 03-21-2004, 10:32 AM
VQ35DES

So the LSD is the only thing we should worry about doing in the rear end if were going over 400 to wheels?
Old 03-21-2004, 10:38 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by VQ35DES
So the LSD is the only thing we should worry about doing in the rear end if were going over 400 to wheels?
With sticky tires it seems logical to also worry about the halfshafts of the independent rear suspension. Those seem to break first on most IRS cars. Any experience out there yet snapping these?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:00 AM
More Power

Originally posted by FLY BY Z
With sticky tires it seems logical to also worry about the halfshafts of the independent rear suspension. Those seem to break first on most IRS cars. Any experience out there yet snapping these?
Regarding the strength of the 350 Z rear end with forced induction: This is hearsay as I only have my 350Z on factory order (April 2 ETA!!!! Oh boy), but below is the post of a guy I know on another forum. He seems to be a nice guy and I’m sure he’d give you more details if you want to email him. They are running a Procharger 350Z as well as a n/a 350Z and he runs MT ETs. Here's his post:

You're going to want to go with the MT et's and change them at the track. The procharged car we run stills spins the BFG Drag Radials... The Nismo LSD made a huge difference on my car as well as the BFG Dr's but I was still spinning them at a 2800 rpms launch.... I know of a few other that ran low 12's high11's many many times on full slicks with no problems to the rear axles.... I'm not saying that they aren't going to snap but I have seen many passes with no problems.... Also, the stock clutch has been holding up pretty well.... We will be racing both cars this weekend so I will let you know how we make out... As far as the jack. You can fit a low rise aluminum jack right on the front floor..... We on the other hand are lucky as we have a fully equipped box truck.... Feel free to email me and also check out my website if you have any questions or are looking for any parts. I can get almost everything...
Jason
www.racemrc.com
jason@racemrc.com
Old 03-21-2004, 11:18 AM
More Power

I think Jason posts on this board as well - maybe a different moniker, though. (Same website and e-mail address.)
Old 03-21-2004, 11:49 AM
aalzuhair

Thank you everyone for your input and comments ....

And yes mods are expensive down here, but not due to the parts price but rather the shipping cost .... So far I bought everything from the good old US of A and Canada, but the shipping cost is tremendous but it’s worth every penny

Thanks,
Az
Old 03-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ahve not heard of a single person blowing a rear axle yet, so should be good to go.

I ahve a similar LSD on my car now (Cusco RS), which is also 3 way selectable for lockup and adjsutable from 1.5 to 2 way - it was worth every penny!
Old 03-21-2004, 08:18 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=63169

-D'oh!

Quick Reply: NISMO LSD vs. Stock Viscous LSD