Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

411 on Torque Converter!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 11:31 AM
greddy4777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyway the verter is only about 400-500 I think.
12sec...your getting a good deal for the verter cuz back in the day, mine was about $1000

$500...thats a great deal for the install too...i just asked my guys at Nissan for you and they said its a 10hr job to drop it and to re-install it. i think u have a great deal all around and you DEF feel the diff...

good luck to ya
Old 04-15-2004, 06:06 PM
DaveO
Sponsor

Default Re: Torque Converter

Originally posted by shinz
Hey im looking into getting the same TC as you have. I was wondering in your post you said that you had it modified for maximum roll on power. From what i've read from posts so far, it seemed like people were saying that an upgraded TC is basically for a much better launch from a stop. I've still have a lot more research to do but when you said roll on power, did you mean that at WOT from a roll, you'll have a lot more power? If so then that's great, more than i bargained for.

shinz,

There's no free lunch when it comes to torque converters. My TC's STR (true stall speed) ended up slightly higher than stock. Why? Because I drive on the street almost everyday and don't often drag race or do power brake starts. I placed driveability, passing power and reasonable gas mileage ahead of smoking burnouts and quarter mile performance.

IMO Andre did an outstanding job meeting my requirements.

Just so I don't leave anything out... there was one noticable loss. My reverse gear power is down compared to stock. Remind me to ***** about that later... much later!

DaveO
Old 04-15-2004, 06:59 PM
12SecZ

Drooling over the pic wish that was in my hands right now!

My older after market (Yank 3200) used to stall sometimes in reverse but it was rare, I remember that now; that is semi normal to lose power in R I guess just need to idle / rev higher.

greddy4777,

Hey thanks for all the info. Yeah they told me it was a smoking deal, there is only one guy I let work on my car after a disaster elsewhere and he is at Nissan and loves high performance. He even tracks!

In fact he installed my ATI SCer and has done the belts and brake etc (after market.)

Yeah this is gonna be a good mod man. I drop my car off Monday they quoted me 600 but are finding me a 100 dollar off coupon. I have spent thousands there but they are good people expecially Ross and Bryan. Can't wait!!! My order is in to Andre!
Old 04-15-2004, 11:47 PM
MySunset350Z

good topic...

1. what is the stock stall speed?
2. how much higher could you go with an "upgraded" tq converter.
3. how much higher should a person go for an everyday driver/weekend racer.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:59 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, MeanGene and I wer e the very fist two people to do the TC mod on their cars, and we both have G35's.

I have done a long review of the TC on g35driver.com, so you might wanna runa search on it. That review was referenced on FA and here as i remember.

The only disadvantage that MTs have over ATs in our cars is very simply the number of gears, ad by extension the aggressive gear ratio possible for the 1st gear in the MT. AT provides for a VERY strong coduit between the engine and the wheels - the TC, in lieu of the clutch, a wear item. Also, the TC provides torque multiplication at launch which the MT obviosuly cannot. The MTs on the other hand can be fitted with a light flywheel clutch and thus be given an advantage. Conversely, the AT's can be fitted with a smaller TC - this has been/is being done in the Lexus IS300 circles (replace the stock (12"?) TC with a smaller 10" TC), but I am not sure I would do that for my car.

My point, and I ams orry for digressing, is that the AT can be fitted with an aggressive valve body upgrade (an overhaul of th eVb to permit much higher line pressure) and a TCM mod to up the line pressure even further in the right circumstances such as WOT (also has been done in the IS300 circles) to make the shifts far faster that any MT with the very best driver possibly can. These two can bridge the gap in perfomance (pros and cons described above), if not surmount it, bringing the AT tranny into the hardcore performance world!

Gurgen
Old 04-16-2004, 09:54 PM
12SecZ

The true stall of our Z's are actually under 2k believe it or not but more importantly this mod eliminates the slipping and looseness that occurs. I talked to Andre for quite some time today, mine is in the works.

Yeah Gurgen was the guinee pig, I am going higher than him on the stall setting.

I'm gonna be roasting, it's the missing link to the SCer cars, low end torque.

With N20 like and a high stall TC like MySunset350Z you couldn't keep the wheels on the ground haha. N20 has gobs of torque, my SCer doesn't, but next week it will then I am gonna go have some fun!
Old 04-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Sins4u33

man oh man....after reading every post...i kinda got a jist of the whole TC thing.....i understand the TC kicks in and stop the tires from spinning at a certain RPM, but what exactley will this new TC do, will it raise the RPM range so u have to rev the car more for it to start to spin? meaning harder and faster burnouts?if someone could put it in idiot proof terms i might fully understand lol....all this jibber jabber i couldn't keap up with all the abreviations...all i know is that at around 3000rpms my tires will start to spin but after that the RPMS just settle their and dont move at all until i remove my foot from the brake....also i heard there was a way to remove a "brake fuse" or something to prevent this from happening.....please let me know guys.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 04-17-2004, 08:02 AM
MySunset350Z

Originally posted by 12SecZ
The true stall of our Z's are actually under 2k believe it or not but more importantly this mod eliminates the slipping and looseness that occurs. I talked to Andre for quite some time today, mine is in the works.

Yeah Gurgen was the guinee pig, I am going higher than him on the stall setting.

I'm gonna be roasting, it's the missing link to the SCer cars, low end torque.

With N20 like and a high stall TC like MySunset350Z you couldn't keep the wheels on the ground haha. N20 has gobs of torque, my SCer doesn't, but next week it will then I am gonna go have some fun!

n2o is sick when it comes to torque. i was putting out 380ftlb with all my petty mods and a 75 shot. BUT since i dont spray in 1st gear (best time to use all the yummy torque), i need a mod that will help make up for that.

does anyone know how much torque or tranny can handle before going poof?

keep us updated with what goes on with you 12secz.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:48 AM
12SecZ

ok,

Will do,

plus whosdaddy is using the same company on his ATI A5T at the same time as me too. Should be a good month for us A5T owners.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:57 PM
whosdady

After seeing Mcduck do a 60FT burnout through 3rd gear (with his 6MT) I became a little jealous this weekend. I just got back from Crawford and the Core (my old TC) should be there around wednesday However, I won't see my car for 2 weeks...I can't wait.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:39 PM
Sins4u33

can anyone help me out what i wrote above??

Ben
Old 04-18-2004, 04:49 AM
nitrous350

Hey guys

check out this

i shipped out my valve body to Level10 5 month ago

but until now i don't get back yet.......

any one can help me about this......
Old 04-18-2004, 10:46 AM
DaveO
Sponsor

Checked the 2003 Nissan/Infiniti service manuals' stall test procedure.

It appears the acceptable stall speeds for the 350Z and G35s are:

1) 350Z: 2650 to 2950rpm (Page AT-55)
2) G35 Sedan: 2600 to 2900rpm (Pages AT-51/52)
3) G35 Coupe: 2600 to 2900rpm (Pages AT-49/50)

Definitions of stall speed can be found on Edge Racing Converters' website.

DaveO
Old 04-18-2004, 08:54 PM
12SecZ

is that "true stall?"

I am going for 2900 anyway but just curiuos. I am told the actual true stall is 1900.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:45 AM
DaveO
Sponsor

is that "true stall?"

I am going for 2900 anyway but just curiuos. I am told the actual true stall is 1900.
12SecZ,

If I understand correctly the test stall speeds quoted in my post above are "True Stall" speeds. This is because the 350Z/G35 brakes are strong enough to hold the engine's power.

If the car's engine overpowers the brakes, then the rpm reached just before the tires move is called the "Foot Brake Stall" speed.

There's third type of stall, called "Flash Stall". It is determined while the car is rolling at a slow speed. From a slow roll, the accelerator is fully depressed and the the maximum RPM is noted from the flash, or peak, value reached. Because the TC's turbine is already turning, the converter's torque multiplication can (will) be significantly reduced.

My thanks to Andre for his help in the above.

DaveO
Old 04-22-2004, 04:05 PM
12SecZ

Sins4u33.

Sorry for the delay,

you just flash the verter (nail it) to burn out or drive normally. You do not need to change your driving habits and with this verter don't worry about the brake fuse.

Although I'm an animal, I'm gonna try it with and without my torque brake fuse switch

W00t!
Old 04-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Sins4u33

thanks 12secZ, so whats the word on the verters? how fast are they shifting? can u churp 2nd or 3rd possible? this is next on my mod list....i am not going any farther until i get this mod...and a transmission cooler probably....

but 12secZ i still wanna know where the brake fuse is, i really wanna try this out and see if it makes a difference...also i am making a video and i need to enhance the fun get back to me when u can..

Ben