Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

411 on Torque Converter!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 11:43 AM
ZZZealous007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 411 on Torque Converter!!!

Hey guys. I have an 5AT Z. This automatic transmission is really holding my hp back, compared to the manuals. I heard a torque converter would do me good.
(1)However, I dont know how it works.
(2)Or how much it would cost?
(3)Is this something that can be done in a home garage?
(4)or does it require proffesional installation?
(5)Also how much gains are we looking at? Dynos?
(6)If youve already installed one of these, what is your take on this mod?
(7)In order to maintain this mod what would i need to do? Oil? Reflash?

Im sure this has been discussed before, but as most of you know the SEARCH button has gone to sh*t. So if you have any links opinions or info on this post them here! Thanks!
Old 04-13-2004, 12:05 PM
zmydust

Default Re: 411 on Torque Converter!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZZZealous007
[B]Hey guys. I have an 5AT Z. This automatic transmission is really holding my hp back, compared to the manuals. I heard a torque converter would do me good.

1. It increases the engine speed at which the tranny engages and you in turn laeave the line.
2. Normally right around 900 to 1100 dollars
3. Yes , if you have ever worked on an auto before its fairlly simple. About the difficultly of a clutch job in a manual.
4. If youre lazy or not mechanically inclined.
5. No horsepower gains really, but a half second decrease in 1/4 mile times are most often gained.
6. Its the most worthweile mod on an auto car in my opinion.
7. No other supporting mods are necesary, well maybe some better tires And an external tranny cooler wouldnt hurt.

Jonathan
Old 04-13-2004, 02:51 PM
ZZZealous007

thanks zmydust that was really helpful. why do you feel this is the most worthwhile mod?
Old 04-13-2004, 03:00 PM
JeffR116

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you already have one if you have an AT. Do they even make aftermarket torque convertors.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:17 PM
turbo-maxima

Yes they make aftermarket torque converters and you get one with a higher stall speed. Not so high that it will effect daily drving. Probally 3000 rpm or lower. It can greatly decrease quarter mile times. You might want to look into an upgraded valvebody also.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:48 PM
ZZZealous007

You might want to look into an upgraded valvebody also.
what will this do? and what would it require?

Yes they make aftermarket torque converters and you get one with a higher stall speed.
Can you or anyone recommend some companies?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:58 PM
greddy4777

correct me if i'm wrong but a valve body pretty much turns your auto tranny into a partial-manual tranny...

basically what it does now on ur auto/man.

with my SC'ed max, i did both the torq converter and valvebody...i personally think they go hand and hand...(which ever company you use...they will ask you what type of torq converter you want. 1. for reg driving(you won't feel the upshifts) 2. for reg/race(you feel a lil jerk when up shifting) 3. for race ( a hard jerk)

after the install, my torq was crazy and for some reason my gears were longer. my 95max in 2nd gear was up at 65/70 at red...

as someone said earlier...its def the best mod for an auto...opposed to FI

cheers

Last edited by greddy4777; 04-13-2004 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:54 AM
turbo-maxima

No it does not turn your car into a partially manual transmission, that makes no sense!

An upgraded valvebod will increase the firmness and crispness of the shifts, increasing the life of your tranny and lag between shifts. An upgraded valvebody can shift faster than anybody with a manual transmission. You will have to get a tranny cooler because the upgraded valvebody increases the temperature of the tranny fluid.

For the torque converter talk to some local transmission shops, performance shops, ect. You can also try http://www.levelten.com/
Old 04-14-2004, 09:46 AM
greddy4777

An upgraded valvebod will increase the firmness and crispness of the shifts, increasing the life of your tranny and lag between shifts.
some of the differences b/w an Auto vs Man is, as you stated above: increase firmness/crispness of shifts ect...

if that is the case...i don't understand how the phrase "partially manual transmission" doesn't make sense to you. (it is an auto But will produce the benefits of an manual transmission as you listed above...)

BTW: As Turbo Max said...Level10....thats is actually where i ordered both my valvebody and torq converter...
Old 04-14-2004, 11:43 AM
ZZZealous007

Thanks for the all the info.

Would the torque converter and the upgraded valve body have any conflicting issues with a turbo? such as fitment? compatibility?
Old 04-14-2004, 12:56 PM
zmydust

No fitment issues whatsoever, you already have both of them inside your transmission. You are simply installing upgraded ones.

Jonathan
Old 04-14-2004, 01:09 PM
greddy4777

yeah, no fitment issues...they replace it with the same torq converter from another 350Z but only tweaked...as for the valvebody....my tech made a 'mark' thinking they would give us another valve body but it was actually mine...but again tweaked...
Old 04-14-2004, 05:29 PM
turbo-maxima

Originally posted by greddy4777
some of the differences b/w an Auto vs Man is, as you stated above: increase firmness/crispness of shifts ect...

if that is the case...i don't understand how the phrase "partially manual transmission" doesn't make sense to you. (it is an auto But will produce the benefits of an manual transmission as you listed above...)

BTW: As Turbo Max said...Level10....thats is actually where i ordered both my valvebody and torq converter...

The benifit of a manual transmission is acceleration because of closer gear ratios, and torque multipication because you can keep the car in gear without having a computer change gears for you.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:06 PM
ZZZealous007

so i checked out the website. heres what the torque converter looks like http://www.levelten.com/store/import...erter/DA8b.jpg

It goes for $1098.00 for both stage 2 & 3 upgrades.
Unfortunately, they only make it for
"NISSAN 200SX, 240SX, 300ZX, 340ZX, ALTIMA, AXXESS, FRONTIER, MAXIMA, PICKUP/PATHFINDER, SENTRA, XTERRA"
http://www.levelten.com/store/import...rts_nissan.htm

340ZX
Old 04-14-2004, 07:03 PM
DaveO
Sponsor

Default Re: 411 on Torque Converter!!!

Originally posted by ZZZealous007
Hey guys. I have an 5AT Z. This automatic transmission is really holding my hp back, compared to the manuals. I heard a torque converter would do me good.

Im sure this has been discussed before, but as most of you know the SEARCH button has gone to sh*t. So if you have any links opinions or info on this post them here! Thanks!
I've noted three people who have poste they have a modified torque converter. I'm one of them.

My TC mod is called a "Street Edge" and it was done by Edge Racing Converters. It was modified to my request for maximum roll-on power, increased torque multiplication, improved efficiency and reliability. I'm now ready for FI if and when I decide to do it.

I recommend you checkout --- www.edgeracingconverters.com --- fill out their questionairre and give Andre a call at 888.350.3343 or 805.271.9688... be ready for an education.

My answers to your questions:

1) You might want to do a little research on how torque convertors work. There are some good internet sites.
2) It cost me around $1000 for everything including a rental car. (By the way I have an extra set of seals and cooling line gaskets for sale at dealer cost.)
3) Without the proper tools and experience I wouldn't recommend doing the changeout yourself.
4) I had mine done by a finicky mechanic at a small Nissan dealership near my home. You can't tell the transmission was ever out of the car.
5) My rpm drop during TC lock-up went from around 350rpm to 125-150rpm. The car used to do 80mph at 3000rpm in 5th gear, it now does 84mph. My G-Tech Comp Pro indicates about a 2-3/10s and 2-3mph quarter mile improvement.
6) I'd do the TC mod again.
7) The normal AT maintenance is all that's required. (I did add a 16,000# GVW ATF cooler in series with the stock unit.)

DaveO
Old 04-14-2004, 08:59 PM
shinz

Default Torque Converter

Hey im looking into getting the same TC as you have. I was wondering in your post you said that you had it modified for maximum roll on power. From what i've read from posts so far, it seemed like people were saying that an upgraded TC is basically for a much better launch from a stop. I've still have a lot more research to do but when you said roll on power, did you mean that at WOT from a roll, you'll have a lot more power? If so then that's great, more than i bargained for.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:27 PM
12SecZ

Good thread,

I am ready to order mine. I am going with a 2900 Mild Edge Race Verter.

Nissan says they have to pull the entire tranny to get to the verter, I thought you just dropped the front housing? I remember watching this done on my LS1's (both) and they just lowered the front housing they didn't yank the hole thing???

Anyway the verter is only about 400-500 I think.

I just want to make sure I don't get burned on the labor.

What should I expect to pay Nissan to pull my old verter then put the new one back in?

I'm finnaly ready to do this, got the cash too. Calling Edge tomorow

Last edited by 12SecZ; 04-14-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:05 AM
whosdady

Crawford will be sending mine to Edge Racing this weekend. I will have the car back in 1 to 2 weeks (depending on when the other mods are finsihed). I will let you know how it goes once I have the car back.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:24 AM
turbo-maxima

Nissan will rip you off!!! Go to a local transmission shop. They were going to charge me 4 hours of work to change my front shocks. I did all four in 3 1/2 hours.

They have a big machine to compress springs and air tools. If I had those I could of done in an hour!
Old 04-15-2004, 10:16 AM
12SecZ

Nissan quoted me 500 bucks to both deinstall and install, you do have to drop the whole tranny. I turn my car in on the 20th.

Whosdaddy we will be right there again man!

Quick Reply: 411 on Torque Converter!!!