Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Whats the recipe for beating STI WRX's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Rob Nance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 3rdpower
you'll spend WELL over 10Gs in NA mods to beat a STi off the line. If that's too much either get a bottle or suck it up and get a turbo. That is the only way you have a chance in the 1/4.

From a roll you can take them with exhaust, pullies, and test pipes. They are FAST downlow - not too fast up top.
Off the line? All you need to beat an STi off the line is a couple hundred bucks in drag radials, and that is with equal drivers. I've taken plenty of STis off the line because I know how to drag race. I've spent a lot of time at the strip in cars and on bikes. Even a lot of people who think they can launch well, can't. I need to put this rant in my signature, because I am tired of typing it out on various ar message boards:

AWD does not equal double the traction. With weight transfer you are looking at probably a 30% increase in dry weather traction, and that is not even factoring in contact patches. I am not saying AWD is not better, but it's still a driver's race leaving the line on the street.

I've taken a guy I know who has had an M5, an S4, and now an STi. He knows how to launch AWD, and I still took him the two times we went from a stop from about half to a whole car length at 65-70. He would then start to pull from there on out. He was stock except for a downpipe. I don't know what that adds to an otherwise stock STi, but it seemed to make him really strong at highway speeds (stronger than what people report here). They have to hit 3rd gear before 60 with their short gearing, which impairs them the first half of the quarter mile.

Don't think that these cars are invincible, they are far from it. They are great, don't get me wrong, but some people act like they are supercars or something.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:35 PM
WhoNeedsAnM3

Originally posted by Rob Nance
Off the line? All you need to beat an STi off the line is a couple hundred bucks in drag radials, and that is with equal drivers. I've taken plenty of STis off the line because I know how to drag race. I've spent a lot of time at the strip in cars and on bikes. Even a lot of people who think they can launch well, can't. I need to put this rant in my signature, because I am tired of typing it out on various ar message boards:

AWD does not equal double the traction. With weight transfer you are looking at probably a 30% increase in dry weather traction, and that is not even factoring in contact patches. I am not saying AWD is not better, but it's still a driver's race leaving the line on the street.

I've taken a guy I know who has had an M5, an S4, and now an STi. He knows how to launch AWD, and I still took him the two times we went from a stop from about half to a whole car length at 65-70. He would then start to pull from there on out. He was stock except for a downpipe. I don't know what that adds to an otherwise stock STi, but it seemed to make him really strong at highway speeds (stronger than what people report here). They have to hit 3rd gear before 60 with their short gearing, which impairs them the first half of the quarter mile.

Don't think that these cars are invincible, they are far from it. They are great, don't get me wrong, but some people act like they are supercars or something.
A very accurate response. I have raced STi's in both of my cars, and while a well driven one can get away from me, its not by much. They are very nice cars, but they really aren't layed out for street or drag racing. Their gearing isn't ideal, and as was said earlier, they have aerodynamic issues at high speeds. Basically, they seem to win the first 30mph (AWD) and again from about 70-100; then they sort of taper off. That said, neither the Z nor my M stand a chance if there is anything (sand, water, etc) on the road or track, both on the launch and on cornering.

In other words, do a couple of minor mods (sticky rubber, maybe intake, exhaust, cats, ECU), learn the car, race to high speeds (not just 100 or so), and make sure you do it all on a day with good weather. Or just FI the Z and hand them their own advantage back...

The same pretty much applies to the Evo's as well. They're basically identicle in terms of performance.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:53 PM
KrazY-2K

I also agree with the two above replies. AWD won't exactly eat RWD off the line. Racing my friend's stock EVO, I had HORRIBLE spin off the line, but he only put about a car on me. It stayed that way the whole race. Basically from my experience, winning against an EVO/STi requires you beat them on the launch if you go from a stop.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:09 PM
silver&black03
Banned

um? cough, cough, BS Nothing. I never said I ran them off the line, but 60 or 80 mph up, I ran both of them. mainly when i hit 5th gear, the gap got wider and wider quite fast.

Originally posted by jabroney12
Unless you got a turbo kit in your car, I sense cough#@BS.
Any half decent driver willing to go at least a quarter mile on the road would totally smoke our cars, the 4.8 timeslip is no joke.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:22 PM
jrotaryb

There are good drivers and bad drivers people...I'm betting that if stock to stock you "took" an STi or EVO off the line than you were up against one of the bad ones Stock to stock an STi or an EVO will eat a 350 @ the dragstrip with equally competent drivers...but if you put the 3 of you on a road course it's a different story. You're comparing one totally different kind/design of performance car to another...there is a reason why a 350Z makes a poor rally car and an STi is not a good choice for a road race car
Old 04-22-2004, 03:21 PM
silver&black03
Banned

well said
Old 04-22-2004, 03:59 PM
chachi999999999

i own a z so i speak from the heart and sometimes that can suck and bve brutal. it is as simple as this there is no cheap way to beat a sti. they are increbilely fast and can beat a z any day of the week. the only way i can think of is to get a tt or supercharger and that won't still guarentee that you will win but you probably will win. the problem with z's is that they come highly tuned from the factory. this makes them hard to get horsepower out of it because the part you are replacing is most likely a nissan tuner part. so little mods will add up in hp but also in cost so those little mods. if you get a tt kit you will need atleast $10,000 if not more for the kit and the many upgrades that are needed with a turbo such as intercooler, new transmission parts to handle the hp and torque gain, air intake, exhuast, installation of turbo and other items, tuning of the turbo, turbo monitoring systems, oil cooler, and several more items. i hate to say it but it is true a sti is just faster than a z and just a little more expensive. they have awd traction and they can launch at higher rpms because it distributes the power to 4 wheels instead of 2. this gives them a better start. and when turbos kick, oh boy,your bodywill mash into the seat. the problems that come with turbos though is that they engine will not last as long, turbo lag, worrying about you engine blowing when your pushin it( thats why you need turbo monitor and guages) and a few more things. but the advantage is just great. speed that will make you head spin and your tires as well. i got a z because it was a dream car that i could buy used for $23,500 with some dealling. and let's not forget the z is pretty freaken fast and it is naturally aspired. i spin wheels all way to 4th gear and that is badass. i wouldn't get the subaru though because i need something that will last meand have great speed and the subaru only fills one of those critera
Old 04-22-2004, 04:09 PM
chachi999999999

Originally posted by Rob Nance
They are great, don't get me wrong, but some people act like they are supercars or something.

that is because they are supercars. the best part about it is they go 0-60 in only 4.7 and that is with the short gearing your talking about. how many cars do 0-60 in under 5? the best part about them they are only $32,000 with the performance of a $200,000 car. sorry but they are supercars at less than a quarter of the price.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Nezian

Originally posted by chachi999999999
that is because they are supercars. the best part about it is they go 0-60 in only 4.7 and that is with the short gearing your talking about. how many cars do 0-60 in under 5? the best part about them they are only $32,000 with the performance of a $200,000 car. sorry but they are supercars at less than a quarter of the price.
performance of a $200,000 car? LOL, you act like low 13s in the 1/4 is a miricale or something...how about any LS1? low 13s for 32,000....how about the 03 cobra? 12.5 for 36,000...how about a C5? low 13s for 40,000....Z06? i mean come on, STis are not super cars the ONLY reason they run low 13s is because of the awd, the fact is that I can tell you from experience (as can many of the other people on this thread) that from a roll they arent that special. Low 13s is not super car speed. I mean if you want to lump the STi in with $200,000 cars then its in with things like the GT2, 991 Turbo (actually only 118k), etc. and i'm sorry but the STi is NOT on the same level with any exotic sports car.

Nathan
Old 04-22-2004, 05:49 PM
chachi999999999

Originally posted by Nezian
performance of a $200,000 car? LOL, you act like low 13s in the 1/4 is a miricale or something...how about any LS1? low 13s for 32,000....how about the 03 cobra? 12.5 for 36,000...how about a C5? low 13s for 40,000....Z06? i mean come on, STis are not super cars the ONLY reason they run low 13s is because of the awd, the fact is that I can tell you from experience (as can many of the other people on this thread) that from a roll they arent that special. Low 13s is not super car speed. I mean if you want to lump the STi in with $200,000 cars then its in with things like the GT2, 991 Turbo (actually only 118k), etc. and i'm sorry but the STi is NOT on the same level with any exotic sports car.

Nathan
i didn't say that a corvette or a mustang cobra were not bargin super cars because they are. especially the corvette. in my opinion the corvette zo6 ($56,000) is the best car you can ever get for the money. they also easily gain horsepower from small mods something that my z and everyone elses has a problem doing. the cobra is just like the corvette when it comes to little things making a difference. and yea i believe that low 13s are super car level it is almost on the outskirts in the super car circle but i believe the 1/4 mile time is not what makes it unlike a supercar but the top speed is horrible i am not sure about this but i believe that z does 155 because the computer stops it. but the top speed of 152 on the sti is pretty horrible i will admit. maybe i went to far with 200,000 dollars but for 32,000 you have to admit it is a bargin.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:46 AM
02MaximizedVQ

The best way to beat an STi is to 1) make sure he's stock 2) make sure you're modded 3) race him from a roll

Any good STi driver should waste you from a standing start.
Trap speed on a stock STi is around 104.5 mph, the 350z is around 102 mph. Top end is not the Subie's forte, it tends to taper off the faster you go. This is the nature of the boxer engine if I'm not mistaken. By comparison, a regular Subaru WRX in this month's issue of modified magazine ran a 12.95 at 102.25 mph. That is a horrible trap speed for that E.T.

Jesse
Old 04-23-2004, 09:18 AM
jrotaryb

Trap speed and E.T. for an STi/WRX shouldn't really be compared to the Z since they have completely different gearing. The STi does taper off in power as the revs climb as does a standard WRX but this isn't the nature of the boxer engine at all - it's simply how these cars operate from the factory. Ever drive a 2.5 RS or WRX with one of the JDM STi motors installed? I assure you that an OEM STi Version 5 engine pulls you hard all the way to 8K. The shape of the powerband can be drastically changed in the head in terms or cams/porting. As for the supercar comment, none of these are supercars A supercar by definition is exotic...can you get supercar levels of performance from relatively or comparitively inexpensive cars? Absolutely, thats why we mod cars But a 350Z, an STi, an EVO etc...do NOT belong in any comparison to cars like a Diablo, an Esprit TT or the like. They are not the same kind of cars no matter how quickly they jet to 60mph. And who REALLY cares about top speed...most of us are rarely or never on a track and we shouldn't be driving even CLOSE to that fast on the street. Gearing is important though because 3K rpm @ 60mph on a car with a modded exhaust is just annoying
Old 04-23-2004, 10:39 AM
sausage5000

what is the standard for a good driver? a really good driver should be able to just barely take a Z06 vette from 0-60 MPH in an STI.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Zpeed Freak

"Whats the recipe for beating STI WRX's?"

Forget drag racing, and road race. It's that simple.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:58 AM
phile

Exotics are in a completely different category. Not only do they have an awesome top end, they handle way better, and they have ridiculous power no matter where you shift. So on a track, you'd be toast. No, you'd be burnt crumbs.