Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What individual NA mod gives the most HP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 10:08 AM
kzshin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NISMO JGTC VQ33DETT engine SWAP. hahaha
Old 04-23-2004, 10:18 AM
jrotaryb

Since the ECU re-learns around certain mods I'm sure it can't be anything that effects metered or incoming air. Also, the issue of "one mod" is not relevant since you want a system of mods that work well together and it's unlikely you will only perform one mod to the car. Each car is different and the same piece may not act the same on each car...so what you want is to choose parts wisely (quality, budget, goals) and have them tuned on your specific car for thebest performance (ECU flash).
Old 04-23-2004, 10:57 AM
BluZee

Hey phile, its all good. At least we are both on the same track with trying to find some good answers about mods.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:50 AM
dgtlbullet

My vote is lighter tires and rims. Woooowooowowowow
Old 04-23-2004, 12:04 PM
alex30327

Its definitely got to be my new "Z" Nissan badge on the front of my hood!
Old 04-23-2004, 12:58 PM
turbo-maxima

Cams or ecu!
Old 04-23-2004, 01:20 PM
bwzabodyn

phile - you got the right idea... I would be wary of a final drive kit for the fact that our gas mileage would suffer even worse (I average around 16-17 mpg in my G35C) - however, it has been reported that with the stall converter, a sedan that used to go 80 @ 3000 rpm's now goes 84...

I've really just started the mod process on my car (let the newness factor wear off first), so far I've done an intake kit, and have a set of test pipes and the UR pulley on the way - next on the list is going to be the stall converter, kinetix plenum (if the kinks are actually worked out this time with the cracking issue), and maybe an ECU reflash - depends on what it feels like after everything's done...

I'm definitely staying away from the high-priced exhausts, but will be looking to upgrade the y-pipe in the future as well.... gotta do all this before I get married in November because the frivolous spending will be held in check after that (she's definitely the saver).... so I better make sure I get that set of 19" Axis Hiros before then
Old 04-23-2004, 01:26 PM
snolden

Default tires

tires are the single biggest improvement you can make to these cars from stock.

If you don't have good rubber, wait til you do than add some mods
Old 04-23-2004, 04:29 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jrotaryb
Since the ECU re-learns around certain mods I'm sure it can't be anything that effects metered or incoming air. Also, the issue of "one mod" is not relevant since you want a system of mods that work well together and it's unlikely you will only perform one mod to the car. Each car is different and the same piece may not act the same on each car...so what you want is to choose parts wisely (quality, budget, goals) and have them tuned on your specific car for thebest performance (ECU flash).
give us a few days, I think we can test this theory once and for all.

quite a few of us now have active data logging of the cars sensors, and that includes air flow and timing.

if the ECU is somehow adjusting for additional air flow it will show up in the O2, MAF, and timing numbers.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:38 PM
phile

Originally posted by jrotaryb
Also, the issue of "one mod" is not relevant since you want a system of mods that work well together and it's unlikely you will only perform one mod to the car.
Yeah, I know what you're saying. But I just thought it was an interesting point of discussion. Also, some people really only may be able to afford one mod. Other people might just want one solid mod and leave it at that. I think it's a very relevant issue

Originally posted by BluZee
Hey phile, its all good. At least we are both on the same track with trying to find some good answers about mods.
No doubt. I like to learn It's all just a matter of gaining an attention span for me

Originally posted by bwzabodyn
phile - you got the right idea... I would be wary of a final drive kit for the fact that our gas mileage would suffer even worse (I average around 16-17 mpg in my G35C) - however, it has been reported that with the stall converter, a sedan that used to go 80 @ 3000 rpm's now goes 84...

I'm definitely staying away from the high-priced exhausts, but will be looking to upgrade the y-pipe in the future as well.... gotta do all this before I get married in November because the frivolous spending will be held in check after that (she's definitely the saver).... so I better make sure I get that set of 19" Axis Hiros before then
Good point about the gas mileage, I never though of that. Still, I wonder how a final drive would affect our performance? Oh, and I'm not sure what a stall converter is :P

spend all the money you can before you get married!I havn't seen the Axis Hiros yet, I'll have to give them a look.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:22 PM
turbo-maxima

Why would you want a shorter final drive. You have enough torque and short eough gears to get through the powerband.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:43 PM
phile

I didn't say I wanted one. Just a discussion :P
Old 04-23-2004, 06:46 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the shorter final drive I think is going to be one of the best mods going for guys sticking NA - it will easily have the signle biggest effect on acceleration than any other mod.

Biggest bang for the buck I did so far as the cats/Y pipe and my ecu (mine was flashed after about 11 hours of dyno tuning, so was not an off the shelf map)

I might change my mind when the new clutch goes in
Old 04-26-2004, 11:15 AM
bwzabodyn

Z1, you're right... the final drive kit will be one of the best mods available to increase acceleration - BUT, the trade off of worse gas mileage will have to be taken into consideration when doing this (whereas just about all the other mods mentioned actually increase gas mileage to some extent) - it's a decision that someone who uses their vehicle as their daily driver will have to put more thought into than someone who uses their car sparingly and/or as a weekend racer... but will definitely be the key to lowering 1/4 mi and 0-60 times significantly...
Old 04-26-2004, 11:21 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if it's out yet but I believe there is a 4.3L stroker kit. That's probably number 1. Number 2 is definitely testpipes/hf cats.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:26 AM
phile

Yeah the AEBS 4.3L stroker kit is out. They are sold out already I think. Although it DEFINITELY is the single best NA mod, it also comes at a heft price tag of $7800! I would love to do it, but I just couldn't dump all that cash, when I could just as easily go get a nice bike idk.. I wish I had more money :P
Old 04-26-2004, 12:12 PM
lafdclass002

Originally posted by phile
Yeah the AEBS 4.3L stroker kit is out. They are sold out already I think. Although it DEFINITELY is the single best NA mod, it also comes at a heft price tag of $7800! I would love to do it, but I just couldn't dump all that cash, when I could just as easily go get a nice bike idk.. I wish I had more money :P
What kind of HP does this stroker kit produce? Does it greatly affect engine life?
Old 04-26-2004, 01:31 PM
phile

Being that it's an NA mod, it's the safest route you could go. It would actually increase core engine life provided you left it alone after that. Stronger rods&pistons, stroked crank, and sleeve kit. It's able to handle up to like 28psi or more if you go the FI route (by buying the lower compression pistons, and installing an FI kit )
Old 04-26-2004, 03:39 PM
BallaByNature

Better driver will lower your times in the 1/4 any day of the week.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:53 PM
phile

That goes without saying

Quick Reply: What individual NA mod gives the most HP?