Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone self install Cams yet??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 03:11 PM
zzzya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone self install Cams yet??

I am one of those guys who can not stand to pay for others to work on my car unless it is a paint job, and I have even thought about building a shop just for that reason but haven't done it just yet. I have strongly been considering installing a set of Nismo or JWT cams, probably Nismo since I have the 5AT, but am not willing to pay just as much for the install as I would pay for the cams. Anyone out there done this yet?
Old 05-21-2004, 01:50 PM
zzzya

I am a bit suprised that no one has taken on this task outside of hiring it done. I have read through the service manual and it doesn't sound all too terrible. I have heard that the reinstall of the timing chain can be a pain however and requires some extra sets of hands.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:11 PM
raidersfan

I've installed them, however it was in a real sweet dream and the steps I followed seemed a bit bizaar. Sorry.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:18 PM
zzzya

Originally posted by raidersfan
I've installed them, however it was in a real sweet dream and the steps I followed seemed a bit bizaar. Sorry.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:38 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

hey just wondering why would you prefer the nismo cams for the 5AT?
Old 05-22-2004, 10:15 AM
zzzya

The JWT cams are great for mid-upper rpm power, but they loose a little low end torque. The Nismo cams improve TQ and HP across the rpm range, but do not give a high of peak HP gains as the JWTs. Since I can not control my rpms off the line like a 6MT, I want to preserve as much low end TQ as possible while still improving mid to upper end HP. The Nismos just seem to be a better selection. Now if I was going to go FI, then I would go JWT all the way. I might still go JWT, only because I know myself and I really want a TT setup , but just can not justify the money it will cost right now to do it. I can see the FI prices going down over time though, so the JWTs may be the smarter move in preparation for FI sometime in the future.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:13 PM
mpowers

I will be in the next week or two. Are you going to do the valve spring up grade as well?
Old 05-22-2004, 05:47 PM
johanna1

What about the new Tomei cams? Anyone try them yet. I would think they would make a good gain. If you go to there site, they offer like four different ones for the Z. Also run the same price as the others so if it does have one for what you prefer like F/I or NA, they would be the perfect ones to get. I know they make great honda parts that make some nice hp gains. Had some of their cams on my turbo civic and when I put them on with my JG redline series head, I could feel the lag of the turbo go away and I could also tell the hp went up because people that I lost against at first, I ended up leaving them behind by three cars lengths with just these two things. The best part is that my ET went from 12.7 to 11.9. I only paid $500 for head because they were trying to get rid of it because someone order it for their Non-vtec sohc and canceled their order. Since they don't do alot of that type of engine, they gave me a deal of a lifetime. If I ever get a honda again I will stick with JG for sure specailly since they teamed up with Elderbrock.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:52 AM
zzzya

So far the people that I know who installed the Tomei cams had to replace other components to make them fit correctly. Not something I would want to mess with if I did a self install. It all depends on your goals and purpose of the car. I would not go with any other cams at this point than JWT or Nismo because of my goals for the car.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:44 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Nismo's will be the easiest to install by yourself. In all the cams we've installed, the Nismos didn't need any valve shim (buckets) replaced. Not true of the JWT's or Tomei. We get an extra $100.00 for them as we need to assemble, measure, take apart, replace shims... do it all again. With the Nismos it's pretty much install, check valve lash.... ship the car! If you want to install them your self, I will be happy to send you the sections out of the shop manual for the cost of shipping. Get ahold of me or Jenny.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Infern0

I haven't done it myself yet, personally I'm builing up the courage to put the damn pulleys in myself, but I watched this other guy do cams himself and he had a pretty risky technique too. He counted the number of chain links that a certain spoke was from a certain point and then matched it with his other cam to install. Seemed to work without a hitch. Actual install was about 10 minutes minus disassembly and reassembly. Most impressive.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:30 PM
PhoenixINX

Bro... been with a JWT equipped car, both at the dyno... and ripping down the interstate. Not impressed.

For all intents and purposes these cams are too closely identical to the NISMOS (originals). FYI - The JWTs are a direct drop in, these will not require anything extra.

Do NOT waste your money on cams if you're not going to run a large duration. The time, effort, and dinero is not worth the minimal gains. Someone in Dallas is running your setup with the JWTs, and with a 6sp laid down a "fair" 274rwhp.

When you're ready to do cams, start looking at the Nismo Stage 1, Stage 2... or Tomei 268s. Mike (mjedens) is running these, and I had the pleasure of driving his car again this weekend. JESUS!!!!!!! That is what a cam'd car is supposed to feel AND sound like.

PM me or AIM me, we'll talk more about it.

Last edited by PhoenixINX; 05-23-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:22 PM
Infern0

Hey man, I didn't say they were worth the money....as a matter of fact I think they are the worst mod for the money that you can do to this car....was just saying I saw the quickest install ever on them.

Calm Down. :P ;P
Old 05-23-2004, 06:01 PM
PhoenixINX

Originally posted by Infern0
Hey man, I didn't say they were worth the money....as a matter of fact I think they are the worst mod for the money that you can do to this car....was just saying I saw the quickest install ever on them.

Calm Down. :P ;P
Who's not calm?
Old 05-24-2004, 07:36 AM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

Hey Jeff when will your shop start carrying the spec 1 and spec 2 cams? I have the $$ in hand just waiting for some more vendors to start carrying them so prices can go down.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:51 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by x350Zx
Hey Jeff when will your shop start carrying the spec 1 and spec 2 cams? I have the $$ in hand just waiting for some more vendors to start carrying them so prices can go down.
I can have them in a day or two. PM Jason@Performance and he'll get you some prices.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:41 PM
pimp1911

Jeff or Jason send me a pm or I will call you guys back. I am ready to purchase those Nismo Spec 1's.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:41 PM
zzzya

What other components are required to install the Spec 1 Nismo cams? What kind of effect will these have on low end power? I would think on an automatic I might loose too much bottom end. I think I would need a high stall converter just to get a chirp off the line if I go too aggressive. Also if more components are needed then the install becomes more complicated and more costly. Pretty soon you end up with SC $$$$ figures or getting close, for a lot less power. I don't know, this modding crap is too damn addictive. I can't sleep at night anymore when I have a little money to spend on the car because I can't decide what to buy next. I guess if I keep thinking too long I might have enough saved for that TT setup I have always wanted.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

Jason pm'd me and said the spec 1 won't work with our ecu and only with the jdm piggyback ecu? wtf?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:05 PM
zzzya

There goes that Idea.

Quick Reply: Anyone self install Cams yet??