Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350z-g35 ecu swap is completed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 05:43 AM
g356gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z-g35 ecu swap is completed!

I recently compared the ecu pin layouts between the 350z and g35 sedan 6spd. They appeared to be identical....each sensor goes to the same pin location and all voltages are the same. Wire colors are different but that did not concern me. I purchased a 2003 350z 6 spd ecu from toykilla on this board and recieved it late last week. I had the dealer do the swap yesterday and re-program the ecu to accept the key code from my existing set of keys. Total labour was 1.2 hrs.....mostly on the phone with Nissan to get code numbers. Car runs great!! I notice a smoother power transition now before 3500-4000 rpm's where it had a bit of a plateau before. Top end is greater now too. 1st to 2nd shift gives much more wheelspin than before. I am happy!!
Hopefully this mod will open the door for more 350Z products to be used on the g35 and will not have people waiting for g35 specific products like superchargers, tt kits, etc.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:50 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your dealer is willing to help . Mine also...I had them fined the 03 AT5 upgrade on there computer .There is no bulleten on it so they dont know its there . The tranny shifts alot better now and complements the Vortech .No more dead spot between shifts at WOT
Old 06-02-2004, 05:53 AM
g356gear

Yeah they had no problems doing it...because it was a stock Nissan ecu. They were actually quite interested to see if it would work. Apparently I have gained a reputation as the local g35 modification guinea pig.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:46 AM
THX723

Originally posted by g356gear
Yeah they had no problems doing it...because it was a stock Nissan ecu. They were actually quite interested to see if it would work. Apparently I have gained a reputation as the local g35 modification guinea pig.
Very interesting, although not entirely surprising. Are you planning on dynoing the car?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:51 AM
g356gear

Originally posted by THX723
Very interesting, although not entirely surprising. Are you planning on dynoing the car?
Yeah I would like to get it dyno'd soon. I would expect a more typical hp reading to that of a Z now with the same mods I have.
I will post when I can.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:00 AM
o snap its eric

you think there will be any difference between the Z 6mt ecu and the G coupe 6mt ecu?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:11 AM
spazpilot

I think it would of been a lot cheaper to just get a TS ecu flash and would have gain a lot more power. Spaz
Old 06-02-2004, 09:54 AM
g356gear

Originally posted by spazpilot
I think it would of been a lot cheaper to just get a TS ecu flash and would have gain a lot more power. Spaz
I got the ecu for $175 so it wasn't a big expense. I wasn't even sure it would work. Now that I know it will work I have more options to look at.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:37 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

It's just that you wouldn't have to go through the whole key-programming mess and the risk of the CAN/LAN protocols not coinciding between the cars. I guess if you don't have a CES on, (or stored codes that do not trigger a CES light) than you got away with it - and that's great.

Of course, you won't have as much power as a TS upgrade would. But hey, 10-12 wheel hp for $175 ain't bad.

Gurgen
Old 06-03-2004, 10:39 AM
g356gear

Dyno'd last night on a Dynojet

Max power 245.34 hp at approx 6200 rpm's
Max torque 229.85 at approx 4400 rpm's

A/F ratio around 14.0 until 4400 rpm's and then dips into the 13's to redline

I have pics of the sheet of someone can post them.

For comparison he had another G35 sedan (5at) that dyno'd at 210 hp a couple weeks ago.

(mods were grounding kit and short ram intake)
Old 06-03-2004, 10:55 AM
THX723

I can help you host. PM me for e-mail address.

... here's a cut'n paste of my response to your same thread on G35drivers.com
(btw ... it's clear to me now you were on a DynoJet based on the 210 figure of the stock 5AT guy.)

--- start of cut'n paste ----

I'm assuming this number's from a DynoJet? ... if so, it doesn't look too bad to me at all. Don't be discouraged with what appears to be only a 5hp gain. I'm quite familiar with the Dyna-pak unit that you used for the 'before' number. They bolt on directly to the wheel hub, in effect taking the wheel and it's mass as well as O.D. out of the equation, thus arriving at higher numbers than the DynoJets. In essence, the figure you had were rear-axle horsepower rather than rear wheel horsepower.

Again, 245 is pretty healthy ... that equates to roughly 300hp to the crank, assuming 18% drivetrain loss that we have extrapolated from the many runs in the past.

Might I suggest ditching the stock sedan muffler next? I'd imagine serveral more hp is locked up in there.

--- end of cut'n paste ---
Old 06-03-2004, 11:15 AM
bwzabodyn

what's up with the "custom intake manifold" that you have in your sig - what's that all about? More info, please!
Old 06-03-2004, 12:21 PM
g356gear

Originally posted by THX723
I can help you host. PM me for e-mail address.

... here's a cut'n paste of my response to your same thread on G35drivers.com
(btw ... it's clear to me now you were on a DynoJet based on the 210 figure of the stock 5AT guy.)

--- start of cut'n paste ----

I'm assuming this number's from a DynoJet? ... if so, it doesn't look too bad to me at all. Don't be discouraged with what appears to be only a 5hp gain. I'm quite familiar with the Dyna-pak unit that you used for the 'before' number. They bolt on directly to the wheel hub, in effect taking the wheel and it's mass as well as O.D. out of the equation, thus arriving at higher numbers than the DynoJets. In essence, the figure you had were rear-axle horsepower rather than rear wheel horsepower.

Again, 245 is pretty healthy ... that equates to roughly 300hp to the crank, assuming 18% drivetrain loss that we have extrapolated from the many runs in the past.

Might I suggest ditching the stock sedan muffler next? I'd imagine serveral more hp is locked up in there.

--- end of cut'n paste ---
A new rear section was my next change after the DC headers I ordered from Summit. I was also looking at the Stillen catback as another option.....but sound is a concern for me. I don't want an overly loud or tinny sound.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:23 PM
g356gear

Originally posted by bwzabodyn
what's up with the "custom intake manifold" that you have in your sig - what's that all about? More info, please!
A similar design to the Crawford plenum but a little taller in the front because I have more hood clearance. I can post a pic as well...I will see if I can do that with the dyno sheets.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:08 PM
THX723

On behalf of g356gear, here's his dyno plot:

and his one off custom plenum:

Great Job Steve!

Clint (THX723)
Old 06-04-2004, 07:21 AM
g356gear

Thanks Clint
Old 06-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Gabe35Coupe

If the ECU's are identicle then why swap it. Maybe you can ask the dealer to reflash the ECU with the Z program, they can do that with the Consult II diagnostic tool.

On a side note I have been told that Nissan has updated the program at least 3 times for the Z. It makes sense that they would do this as they would make earlier cars more conservative to make sure there are no issues, then make the program more aggressive after some time. This is from a very reliable source. A friend at HKS told me they have been working with Nissan on this. In order for HKS to tune their FCON for thier supercharger with their (thier piggyback ECU) they have to make sure the ecu in a car that will get their S/C has the same program as the test car or the tune will be different. They will probably reccomend that you have the dealer flash the ECU to the lastest program so it matches the car they made the program from if your buy thier S/C kit unless of course you already have that version. I think it's cool that HKS goes the extra mile to figure that kind of thing in, I guess there is a reason for thier reputation. Anyway maybe some of this info will be usefull for the Z guys who have an older program that want a more agressive N/A tune. I would like to know if I could get a dealer to flash my Coupe 6spd. Maybe someone can get it done and let me know!

Last edited by Gabe35Coupe; 06-04-2004 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:23 PM
g356gear

Originally posted by Gabe35Coupe
If the ECU's are identicle then why swap it. Maybe you can ask the dealer to reflash the ECU with the Z program, they can do that with the Consult II diagnostic tool.

On a side note I have been told that Nissan has updated the program at least 3 times for the Z. It makes sense that they would do this as they would make earlier cars more conservative to make sure there are no issues, then make the program more aggressive after some time. This is from a very reliable source. A friend at HKS told me they have been working with Nissan on this. In order for HKS to tune their FCON for thier supercharger with their (thier piggyback ECU) they have to make sure the ecu in a car that will get their S/C has the same program as the test car or the tune will be different. They will probably reccomend that you have the dealer flash the ECU to the lastest program so it matches the car they made the program from if your buy thier S/C kit unless of course you already have that version. I think it's cool that HKS goes the extra mile to figure that kind of thing in, I guess there is a reason for thier reputation. Anyway maybe some of this info will be usefull for the Z guys who have an older program that want a more agressive N/A tune. I would like to know if I could get a dealer to flash my Coupe 6spd. Maybe someone can get it done and let me know!
The only thing that is the same is the pin locations between the ecu's. The timing and fuel curves are different between the Z and G cars. I have never heard of the dealer being able to re-flash an ecu. The consult II only allows them to advance timing a couple of degrees, change idle rpm's and a few other diagnostic functions. I think someone may have been putting out some mis-information.
The only ones I know of who have the tools are Technosquare and maybe one other company....and the programming is not cheap....I highly doubt the dealers would even look at such a tool.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:36 PM
g356gear

Originally posted by Gabe35Coupe

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/77594-techtom-flash-ecu-reprogramming-system.html
Old 06-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

It is my understanding that the dealers via Consult II can do a reflash, but it is a program that comes from the factory, and the dealers cant make changes to it, or access the specific codes or variables.

Quick Reply: 350z-g35 ecu swap is completed!