Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What Flywheel Would You Get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any lightning of the flywheel and clutch will make the engine rev faster...

one of the plus's of having an engine that rev's faster is the ability to rev match faster and better....

now keep in mind... you are bolting the clutch to the flywheel... if you put on a heavy clutch on a lightend flywheel you still have alot of weight...

stock flywheel 32 lbs... stock clutch about 34lbs... combines weight.. 66lbs... put on a jwt / jun flywheel... you got 38lbs... not that big of a difference considering all of the rotating mass and moment of inertia is on the out side of the flywheel anyway...

the tilton is a different world of flywheels and clutches... all of the rotatinal mass MOI is inside of the flywheels... within 7.25"... and the flywheel and clutch weights 16lbs TOTAL!

it is like comparing grape juice to a fine wine...
Old 06-10-2004, 03:29 AM
Z350Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Jason..... just wondering to know.... how much does Nismo Clutch Cover weight compare to the stock clutch cover? And what is the benefit for getting that one? As I don't think I will move on to any unsprung clutch beacuse the gearbox will be nosiy as a b!atch if that's the case...

thanks!

cheers,

richie
Old 06-10-2004, 05:37 AM
Balls

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
there are not more votes for tilton because it is not sold seperately.....you can ONLY use it with their clutch or similarly sized 8 inch clutches.

JWT, Unorthodox, NISMO, JUN, are all flywheels that can be installed as standalone units, or with any number of aftermarket clutches.

Units like Tilton, Exedy, Ogura, ATS are desinged to only work with their clutches, or similarly sized race clutches
why wouldn't you change the clutch at the same time? That's like getting calipers and using stock brake lines... you're already in there, why not?
Old 06-10-2004, 06:28 AM
TheBigShow

Originally posted by Z350Lover
Just one thing that might annoy some people is if you have a honking noise whenever you depress your clutch at 4000 rpm due to the resonance with the stock flywheel, the JUN flywheel will magnify that noise A LOT more than the nismo one. (also the chatter is a lot louder than the nismo one at lower rpm range, which I don't mind at all). It seems that I press my horn whenever I shift in 1st and 2nd gear at 4000 rpm... other than that, everything is perfect!
that's very disconcerning.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:33 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Z350Lover
GY-Z:

Just one thing that might annoy some people is if you have a honking noise whenever you depress your clutch at 4000 rpm due to the resonance with the stock flywheel, the JUN flywheel will magnify that noise A LOT more than the nismo one. (also the chatter is a lot louder than the nismo one at lower rpm range, which I don't mind at all). It seems that I press my horn whenever I shift in 1st and 2nd gear at 4000 rpm... other than that, everything is perfect!

cheers,

richie

I have never had a honking noise with mine. The only thing i have ever noticed is alittle chatter at idle. But it is almost not there or i just dont notice it any more.

I really enjoy the way the flywheel has made my car feel. It revs alot faster and it is nice and smooth changing into each gear. I LOVE IT

Laterz
Aceman
Old 06-10-2004, 10:00 AM
ZainT

too sweet man.. i have been looking for a flywheel/clutch combo.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:33 PM
Z350Lover

This honking noise was mentioned by some members earlier.... here is the direct link to that page...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....g&pagenumber=4

cheers,

richie
Old 06-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

why wouldn't you? if you have no need to change the clutch why would you?

I agree if it were me, Id wait till I needed a clutch to do the flywheel. I had the Unorthodox one in my car for a little bit with stock clutch and loved it, though I am now running an OS Giken integrated clutch/flywheel
Old 06-10-2004, 03:49 PM
hndumafia

I am having my tranny replaced in a couple weeks (when parts arrive to dealership) and was thinking of replacing the flywheel only as well. My car has just over 9000 miles and my only power mod is an intake, so i dont think i'll be needing a new clutch for a while (anyone know how long the stock clutch is supposed to last?). I feel like replacing the clutch now would be a waste of money (that i could spend on other mods) because it's really not necessary.
Based on that, is there any reason why i should change my clutch as well as the flywheel? Since the tranny is already going to be out labor should be cheap for just the flywheel so should i wait to do both later or just go for the flywheel now?
Old 06-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

well, when its out of the car, just look at it.

If fingers are not in good shape on the pp, replace the whole lot. If the disk is wearing, just replace it...at least when its all apart, its easy to tell what to do!

If your tranny is already coming out, labor should be nada for clutch and/or flywheel install
Old 06-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Balls

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
why wouldn't you? if you have no need to change the clutch why would you?

I agree if it were me, Id wait till I needed a clutch to do the flywheel. I had the Unorthodox one in my car for a little bit with stock clutch and loved it, though I am now running an OS Giken integrated clutch/flywheel
Okay so... if you replace the flywheel and clutch at the same time, why not get the one that works with the flywheel you want? If you don't want the tilton then that's one thing, but don't pass it up just because the clutch is a different size.

hndumafia: This is the point that Z1 and I are talking about. The cost difference should be negligible to install just a flywheel versus the clutch and flywheel at the same time. You have to take the clutch off to get to the flywheel in the first place. That's why people always say to do them at the same time.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:23 PM
kvjacobz

Are there any drawbacks to installing a lighter clutch? Negative effects on drivability?
Old 06-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Balls

A lighter clutch doesn't always mean a less driveable clutch... but it certainly can be the case. The predominant negative effect will be on your wallet.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:50 PM
TheBigShow

i finally accepted the chatter thing, now this honking has me worried. wtf.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:54 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by *****
If you don't want the tilton then that's one thing, but don't pass it up just because the clutch is a different size.

An excellent reason to pass up the Tilton is because it is so light, and has a very grabby clutch with a very high clamping force. It is not a good daily driver system for a vast majority of people.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to give the Tilton a shot in my car. I'm sure it would be fun. However, my Z is my daily driver and my only car. I take it on vacation, I drive it to work most days (if I don't ride my bike), I run errands around town in it, and my girlfriend and I take turns driving it during long road trips. There's no way she could handle a Tilton, which means I'd be doing *all* the driving on long road trips, and that would get old fast.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Balls

i know what you mean. I used to think i could drive anything on a daily basis... there's only so much you can take before you start wishing you had a bimmer. oh.

Fortunately, my current job allows me the convenience of taking public transportation to and from everyday. So the z only gets driven when I want to go for a drive.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:04 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by hndumafia
I feel like replacing the clutch now would be a waste of money (that i could spend on other mods) because it's really not necessary.

Exactly! If you don't need a new clutch, don't waste the money on it. It is true that replacing the flywheel requires you to pull the clutch anyway, but that doesn't mean you need to spend hundreds more dollars on a new clutch at the same time. I looked at it like this in my situation:

flywheel+labor: $700
flywheel+clutch+labor: $1100+

I had only 5k miles on my car and my stock clutch was in perfect condition. Why on Earth would I spend $400+ more to replace my stock clutch? Who cares if it was right there? We're talking $400+ I could spend on other stuff! That clutch should be fine for tens of thousands of miles.

Now, if I had many more miles on my car and my clutch was nearly worn out, or if I was planning on doing forced induction and huge power gains, then yes, installing a better clutch at the same time as the flywheel would've made sense. But none of those factors applied to me, so I saved my money.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:12 PM
jreiter

Default Re: What Flywheel Would You Get?

Originally posted by blu3design
Members, what is your favorite choice for a flywheel...I know there are a lot of good ones out there, just wanna get it right the first time...also, what should I expect with this new setup...

I just installed the JWT flywheel. (Kept my stock clutch.) Nice upgrade. Revs a bit quicker and is still super easy to drive in stop and go traffic. It's really not much more difficult to drive than the stock flywheel, to be honest. This flywheel is still easy enough that my girlfriend can drive it with no problems.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: What Flywheel Would You Get?

Originally posted by jreiter
I just installed the JWT flywheel. (Kept my stock clutch.) Nice upgrade. Revs a bit quicker and is still super easy to drive in stop and go traffic. It's really not much more difficult to drive than the stock flywheel, to be honest. This flywheel is still easy enough that my girlfriend can drive it with no problems.
What the JWT like performance wise?
Old 06-10-2004, 08:07 PM
kvjacobz

Originally posted by hndumafia
anyone know how long the stock clutch is supposed to last?

Good question. Anyone?

Edit: Punctuation

Quick Reply: What Flywheel Would You Get?